Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

Originally Posted by Tbag
Not to worry about the PG Tips mate, you can get them in loads of places now!
Amazon is probably the best and cheapest place to get it...well the 240 count box, about $20....they did sell it for around $12 for a while
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:52 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Like everyone, Tesco and Marks fresh food Anything else you can get by mail order.
I get Corrie here, being close to Canada. Is NY too far away to get it?
And it's a bit early to be compiling lists of what you'll miss why don't you just come, see what it's like and then you'll know
Welcome to the site BTW
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been said, but I hope you don't like Marks & Sparks food dept.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

carlt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Everything.
Not sure I wanna go now.

I was certain my list of positives would outweigh any negatives everyone could come up with. Having doubts now. Better go make another list!

As has been said, if I don't burn any bridges it can be just a temporary experiment. I can always sneak back to London with my tail between my legs!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carlt
Not sure I wanna go now.

I was certain my list of positives would outweigh any negatives everyone could come up with. Having doubts now. Better go make another list!

As has been said, if I don't burn any bridges it can be just a temporary experiment. I can always sneak back to London with my tail between my legs!

of course you wanna go, it's fun and exciting just make sure you leave all the options open at home back in blighty incase you want to return. company transfer usually makes for a good package, medical paid...trips back to blighty etc etc....plus it'll be a good learning experience for sure
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:32 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I wanna go now.

Like trubrit said and life's an adventure isn't it better to at least try and 'fail' than to never have tried at all?

Who knows you may love it here like me
If you come with a positive attitude and open to the experience you have at least a good chance of liking it
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:03 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I wanna go now.

Well, you might not miss very much and you may gain a lot.
I definitely think you need to leave your escape route open and brightly lit though.
I imagine it is a completely different experience if you come over for a specific period. I would enjoy it here more if I knew for certain I was going back in a few years.
Make sure you negotiate a very generous holiday allowance or you won't get any time to see all the great places over here. That's one of our big issues as my OH only gets 2 weeks and that just isn't enough time.

Here is a small list of my positives:
Snow.
Skiing.
A "can do" attitude
High school football
Seasons
Hot summers
Friendly people
Helpful people
Polite teenagers
Excellent schools (But only where I live apparently)
Road Trips
Some amazing scenery
Baseball
Big garden with a hammock
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Amazon is probably the best and cheapest place to get it...well the 240 count box, about $20....they did sell it for around $12 for a while
Cheers Bob, I can also get it in my local Harris Teeter and now the new World Market up the road, just opened! (still 4 bucks a box tho for 80 bags)
Actually, im off home in 2 weeks so will stock up on the 1000 cash and carry bag then.......cheap as chips!!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

Tony Blair will follow me to the US
ha ha ha!!

No really, don't think of not coming, everyone is right, it is the chance of a lifetime! And New York and London are like sister cities anyhow, I think they are very similar, you will not miss the culture in New York at least.

It may be a lot different depending on where you live, in the city or in the suburbs. If you live in the city you may not use a car or use one as much. I think a LOT of the differences between the US and UK stem from where you go in a car. I remember having a little temper tantrum myself in England when it was really hot last summer and we were carrying groceries home from the store (a fifteen-minute walk). I got angry and said to my husband, I hate it here, if we were in America we would be home already, in an air-conditioned car, just throw the bags in and pull them back out, and we wouldn't have to prioritize at the grocery store based on how much we could carry!! (We should have just hired a cab). But you know, I lost so much weight in the UK and felt a lot healthier, and once I came home I missed being able to walk everywhere. If you have to rely on a car to get anywhere outside your own yard, you are going to notice major differences. If you live in a city with a good public transport system like NY, or even one where everything is near, you will not notice so many daily differences.

Also I think the US seems somehow more accessible because places far away can be got to by car, day or two drive usually. It always seems like you can just take off and go here, but I think in England going on a four hour drive (from Manchester to London, for instance) is like a big trip you really plan for. Maybe it's not like that for everyone. Maybe I shouldn't have hijacked this thread - it's supposed to be one-liners only!! Sorry!

You will definitely miss

the NEWS
Friends
Decent chips

You will definitely like

The relative accessibility of so many cities, cultures, climates, and natural wonders
Mexican food
Five+ star service in 2 star restaurants (cuz the servers make $2/hr + tips)
The 2008 elections - lol
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 12:13 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

the smell of the English countryside, cow manure and all!
I'm going to send you a package. Close your eyes when you open it and you'll think you're in the English countryside!

You can thank me later...
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 12:28 am
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Not to worry about the PG Tips mate, you can get them in loads of places now!

English summers......pub garden lunches

walking anywhere at all except for to the car and back

Getting on a bus or train everyday If I want to instead of taking the car

Mother's Day, Father's day, Family Birthday's, Friends Birthdays, Funerals and births of people near & dear to you.

National Trust

Cream tea's, toasted teacakes, ready meals, Cornish pasties.

Bluebells and the smell of the English countryside, cow manure and all!

By the way welcome and good luck
Well said, a lot of those on my list as well as what Bob said earlier - family ranks high for me. I loved the bluebells and cow manure line as I lived near woods that were full of them in the Spring and grew up on a cow farm!

Welcome to BE!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 12:32 am
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I wanna go now.

Some of us have been here for a long time (too long) but I am always willing to try something once so when I had the chance to come here I did and would not have changed that
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 12:33 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, this poor guy will be trembling. So, I intend to slightly adjust this thread and tell him some of the things he wont miss. If that is okay with everyone?

Righty-oh, here goes:

Here goes:.............

Okay, I got one.....no, it's gone again. Oh, wait.........nope. Totally gone.

Right then, let's try again. Here are some things you will actually like about this place. In fact, forget that.
Oh sod it. Just come over over, join the party and worry about it later. You can get good curry recipes from this place (BE) and it is easier to avoid Hugh bloody Grant films on telly. That's be worth something! Good luck.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 12:41 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Okay, this poor guy will be trembling. So, I intend to slightly adjust this thread and tell him some of the things he wont miss. If that is okay with everyone?

Righty-oh, here goes:

Here goes:.............

Okay, I got one.....no, it's gone again. Oh, wait.........nope. Totally gone.

Right then, let's try again. Here are some things you will actually like about this place. In fact, forget that.
Oh sod it. Just come over over, join the party and worry about it later. You can get good curry recipes from this place (BE) and it is easier to avoid Hugh bloody Grant films on telly. That's be worth something! Good luck.
Give it a few years, you will start missing stuff.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

After 40 years in the UK, having spent 30 of them convinced I'd end up living elsewhere, I'm almost decided that the time has come to do something about it.

I'm working for a multinational bank in London and my boss has vacancies on his New York team, so getting over there should be painless. Before I jump in and register my interest I thought I'd read up a little on the web forums and see what the expats liked and disliked. A lot of discussion seems to centre around what people miss, so I was looking for a concise list of everything I should be prepared to mourn from the UK or hate about the US once I'm there.

It'd be cool to keep it to one-liners, at least until the list is mostly complete, so I can distil them out and maybe edit them onto the end of my starter list below if it's allowed. Anyway, here are my guesses in no particular order:

Beer
Pub
Annual Holiday Allowance
Curry
Family
Friends
Lane discipline
Tony Blair will follow me to the US
I'll become a bad speller overnight
Confusing Date Formats
Coronation Street
Countryside
PG Tips

Anyone else have much to add to that?
Yours will be a long term vacation (A return ticket, in the shadows), you would be crazy not 2.
PG tips & other food goodies, can be bought at Myers of Keswick
http://www.myersofkeswick.com/
There are several Brit pubs/brit hangouts in NYC. Tons of Brit Expats on Wall st.
Make sure you get tons of $'s, rents quite high, really really, make sure you get good medical insurance, "FOC".
Good luck.
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. I spent 18 years in NYC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.