Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What were your expectations ?

What were your expectations ?

Old May 4th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ms_Fi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What were your expectations ?

I'm 33 and more than happy to settle down, it's just that in the UK I've yet to find a place that suits me. I love the area we're moving to in Aus, it feels right for me - which is something I've never found in the UK. I've always had a fairly nomadic life (my 12 year old has moved house 13 times) and I'm now at the stage that the next move I make is going to be the last.

I love rural life, it's the slower pace that I'm looking for. Every move I've made since I left home has been to a quieter place and I don't think we'll get much quieter than the 'boonies' as the area the inlaws live is known!

I've always lived by the motto - life is not a rehearsal - and for those who've decided that Australia isn't for them and who're making the move back to the UK I really hope you remember this. You only have one chance to be happy so you have to take those opportunities as they're thrown at you - just make sure the decisions are for the right reasons cause it's damned expensive otherwise!!
Old May 4th 2008, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

now am really confused , why is the above post on the mbttuk forum

whats going on
Old May 4th 2008, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

I think Margaret, it's because some of us who are planning to move to another country are interested to see why other posters want to move back to the UK. With no disrespect to Fleafly who says she would like to do her weekly shop and have a chat and giggle I don't get that in my local Tesco. My local pub is a chain of foodie pubs where no-one knows each other. I do agree that there are places in the UK that you can still get the community feel. I am planning on moving to Spain so not too far away from family and friends. Best of luck to all returning to the UK and to all moving too
Old May 4th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattmc
Ah but maybe if they had one (which we do) they may not be in it as much as you think. My boys like it when they have their friends over but didn't go in it as much as I thought they would over the summer. Kids of today..huh!!
My boys were in ours yesterday now take into consideration its green and freezing they must have been desperate. Nope they just had a friend over and had nothing else to do. LOL
Old May 4th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbournegirl
That's what happens when you live in the most isolated city in the world which has a country town attitude.

If you were in Melbourne it would be a completely different story. Have you every visited Melbourne? It is not bland, it has plenty of character, beautiful historical buildings (albeit more Victorian era) , heaps of diversity and culture and there is so much to see and do in Melbourne that you could never be bored. There is always something going on with arts festivals, music festivals, food and wine festivals every month of the year. It is a much bigger and more interesting city.

The same goes for Sydney too with a more outdoor/beach lifestyle but can't speak for other cities.

I don't think your 'Perth' experience means that the same experience would be true of other places in Australia.
Did you see that one of the previous posters is actually in Melbourne? JoolsB

Last edited by nicola411; May 4th 2008 at 10:09 pm.
Old May 4th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Ms_Fi;6305439]
To me moving to Australia isn't about a huge adventure or about changing my life, it's about going where I feel comfortable, going to the place I fit in.

A very good point and very important.
Old May 4th 2008, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nicola411
Did you see that one of the previous posters is actually in Melbourne? JoolsB

Yes, but where does JoolsB live? Maybe she lives 30 kilometres in some new suburb on the outskirts of the city where I agree there is not much going on. The closer to the centre of the city you are the more accessible those things are and the more likely you are to make the effort and in the end it is all about making an effort. People go on about all the things they could do in the U.K. but did they actually make an effort to do them? How many times a year does the average brit pop over to Europe for the weekend with their kids, how many times do they drive to London for the day?

Last edited by melbournegirl; May 5th 2008 at 12:13 am.
Old May 5th 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light

I think the problem begins when people move to Australia expecting 'The UK in the Sun'. So many people seem to see it that way before they move here, and set themselves up for disappointment, because of course it's not like that at all. Years of diverse immigration have given Aus a cultural identity all of its own, and it's a lot less like the UK now than it was, say, 30 years ago. It's a young country and is still growing and developing, whereas although things are changing in the UK, the differences are far less impactive due to the UK's strong and historic cultural identity.

My top tip to those planning to emigrate is always: STUDY THE MAP OF AUSTRALIA CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO COME HERE. You need to realise that Aus is a long eway from other countries, that the place is huge & distances between places are long. The State of Victoria, one of Aus's smallest, is the size of England + Scotland. That's how big this place is.

Just because they speak English here & watch Midsummer Murders on TV does NOT mean that it's like the UK, it's very different and it certainly isn't for everybody.

I'm somewhat bemused by all these posters who are so keen to take their kids into pubs. Reading this thread, it sounds like quite a big deal & may explain why the UK seems to be getting such a bad reputation for binge-drinking. Pubs are great places for adults (& I miss the UK real ale as much as the next person!), but children need fun, fresh air, exercise, stimulation and education, and the pub simply doesn't provide these. Ask your kids, & I bet they would much prefer a trip to the zoo, aquarium, beach, movies, theme park etc. I've never had any trouble finding family-friendly cafes & restaurants here to feed the kids when we're out, so taking them into pubs isn't really necessary.

Good luck to all of those staying or returning, and may you find the place that makes you and yours happy

G.
Old May 5th 2008, 12:37 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grevillia
I'm somewhat bemused by all these posters who are so keen to take their kids into pubs. Reading this thread, it sounds like quite a big deal & may explain why the UK seems to be getting such a bad reputation for binge-drinking. Pubs are great places for adults (& I miss the UK real ale as much as the next person!), but children need fun, fresh air, exercise, stimulation and education, and the pub simply doesn't provide these. Ask your kids, & I bet they would much prefer a trip to the zoo, aquarium, beach, movies, theme park etc. I've never had any trouble finding family-friendly cafes & restaurants here to feed the kids when we're out, so taking them into pubs isn't really necessary.
G.
To be quite honest I think that taking the moral high-ground on other people's parenting skills and an, at best, tenuous hypothesis about national drinking habits is inappropriate for this thread.
Old May 5th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by melbournegirl
Yes, but where does JoolsB live? Maybe she lives 30 kilometres in some new suburb on the outskirts of the city where I agree there is not much going on. The closer to the centre of the city you are the more accessible those things are and the more likely you are to make the effort and in the end it is all about making an effort. People go on about all the things they could do in the U.K. but did they actually make an effort to do them? How many times a year does the average brit pop over to Europe for the weekend with their kids, how many times do they drive to London for the day?
I cant answer the question as to where JoolsB lives but judging on some of her previous posts probably not too far out of the city.

We personally came from Sheffield and often spent weekends away with the kids in different cities or just drove over to them for a day out. We probably went abroad twice a year not major but still enjoyed and looked forward to none the less.

We have been to Melbourne for the weekend and it was full of beautiful old buildings which makes a nice change from the GC but once shopping and eating was over I wouldnt say there was particulary loads to do for kids. only my humble opinion of course.
Old May 5th 2008, 2:31 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kaylee
I think Margaret, it's because some of us who are planning to move to another country are interested to see why other posters want to move back to the UK. With no disrespect to Fleafly who says she would like to do her weekly shop and have a chat and giggle I don't get that in my local Tesco. My local pub is a chain of foodie pubs where no-one knows each other. I do agree that there are places in the UK that you can still get the community feel. I am planning on moving to Spain so not too far away from family and friends. Best of luck to all returning to the UK and to all moving too
Kaylee, I have just come back from the UK and many pubs are are chain pubs with horrible food, and a not so great atmosphere. When we were there three years ago our favourite pub was always packed, great food, roaring fire etc, it is now a chain , and to be honest we were less than impressed. If you go out into the countryside you will find some small pubs that haven't been eaten up by a chain, but they seem to be disappearing fast.
Old May 5th 2008, 11:48 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Because i like something you must too

Because i am happy here you must be too

Because i like things a certain way, you must too

If you aren't like me, there's something wrong with you...........

Isn't there?
Old May 5th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluejohn
Kaylee, I have just come back from the UK and many pubs are are chain pubs with horrible food, and a not so great atmosphere. When we were there three years ago our favourite pub was always packed, great food, roaring fire etc, it is now a chain , and to be honest we were less than impressed. If you go out into the countryside you will find some small pubs that haven't been eaten up by a chain, but they seem to be disappearing fast.
That's sad to hear. Thankfully all the ones near my mum's are all still intact as little old pubs but yes, in the town, it tends to be Muggletons etc.
Old May 5th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
To be quite honest I think that taking the moral high-ground on other people's parenting skills and an, at best, tenuous hypothesis about national drinking habits is inappropriate for this thread.
Well said! If I take my kids to a pub, it's not to sit in the bar getting slaughtered, it's to have a nice Sunday roast in the dining area/restaurant or sit outside enjoying the beer garden. Can't see how it's any different from Europeans taking their kids to restaurants or cafes that serve alcohol.
Old May 5th 2008, 3:36 pm

caledonia is an unknown quantity at this point

G.[/QUOTE]

restaurant or pub lunch/dinner - whats the difference?? restaurants dont provide children with the fun, fresh air, exercise, stimulation and education you rightly say they need. people are not suggesting they only ever go to the pub with their children, but as well as fun, fresh air etc, children also need happy parents and if we enjoy a couple of drinks in a nice pub, so be it, especially since there's no smoking now. anyway, mine love the pub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.