Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What are those of you that have moved back to UK feeling this winter???

Wikiposts

What are those of you that have moved back to UK feeling this winter???

Old Dec 26th 2010, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are those of you that have moved back to UK feeling this winter???

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Our snow has just started and we'll have 16 inches by tomorrow lunchtime. I'm so looking forward to digging out the driveway
And I'd like to bet that even after 16 inches of the white stuff your local trains and buses will still be running and your local airport will remain open for business........you people are used to such conditions and manage to keep the wheels turning and the runways clear!
Old Dec 26th 2010, 5:00 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are those of you that have moved back to UK feeling this winter???

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
And I'd like to bet that even after 16 inches of the white stuff your local trains and buses will still be running and your local airport will remain open for business........you people are used to such conditions and manage to keep the wheels turning and the runways clear!
We'll be much less well-prepared than normal because of all the draconian local govt spending cuts, so we'll see just how much gets cleared.

But would you want the UK government to invest in US-style preparation? If so, you might want to rethink the last election since I doubt austerity = billions of pounds in new equipment and personnel and grit and salt for bad winters that may or may not come.

Basically, the whole of Europe has to grapple with some tough decisions but the British tabloid reaction of 'why can they manage in America and we can't?' is just silly. Every winter here, we know we will get many heavy snowstorms over a period of at least 4 months. That makes the ROI calculation for all the equipment very different from the UK. But if global warming means you will start to have our winters, well then investments will have to be made. But the complaining over there is just stupid IMO.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 5:42 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think part of the problem is people don't prepare for themselves either.
Winter tyres (softer and warm faster so they stick better in ice and snow)
Stock up on salt and cat litter through out the year so you are prepared to salt and grit your own driveway and sections of pathways, Snow shovels etc etc.
In some parts of the US each property owner is responsible to clear the section outside their property, pavements all the way to the street (into the street in some I think)
If you don't do your own clearing or have the private snow clearing company paid to do it for you, you can get some pretty hefty fines.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
In some parts of the US each property owner is responsible to clear the section outside their property, pavements all the way to the street (into the street in some I think)
That's the same in Germany, or it was when I lived there. I think people in the UK do sit back and expect everything to be done for them sometimes.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 6:55 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think part of the problem is people don't prepare for themselves either.
Winter tyres (softer and warm faster so they stick better in ice and snow)
Stock up on salt and cat litter through out the year so you are prepared to salt and grit your own driveway and sections of pathways, Snow shovels etc etc.
If you don't do your own clearing or have the private snow clearing company paid to do it for you, you can get some pretty hefty fines.
Yes, that's the case where I live, although luckily we don't have pavement outside our house, so we don't have the responsibility some people do. As well as fines, you're looking at a lawsuit if someone hurts themselves on the pavement outside your house.

But when the snow plough comes and dumps feet of snow at the foot of our drive, it's our responsibility to clean it up.

Oh well - off to start on the driveway - it's still snowing but if you don't tackle it a few times, there's no way to shift all the snow at the end of the storm. I sometimes wish I had one of those husbands who doesn't believe in equality, so he'd go out and shovel by himself
Old Dec 26th 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

Actually many airlines cancelled their planned flights today out of the NY metropolitan airports - even before a flake of snow had fallen. They knew it was going to be bad - falling snow along with blizzard conditions - so knew there was no point in even trying to get planes out. Seems logical to me.

It was interesting to walk down the street this evening on the way home. The wind was so bad that the north side of the street was piled high with snow whereas the south side had barely no snow on the sidewalk. Unfortunately my apartment building was on the north side so had to climb over a snow drift to get to my front door. Tomorrow should be interesting when trying to get out
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:38 am
Finally Home!

Well, my question about how much would get cleared has been answered - none of it! Our street is buried in at least a foot of snow and there's no sign of the plough. I really need to go and buy some logs for the fire because it's so cold, but even if we clear the drive, we can't get the car out.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Well, my question about how much would get cleared has been answered - none of it! Our street is buried in at least a foot of snow and there's no sign of the plough. I really need to go and buy some logs for the fire because it's so cold, but even if we clear the drive, we can't get the car out.
My street was plowed but that left a 3 foot snow drift at the base of the stairs leading out of my apt building - which I had to scale as I had to come into work - people are off work so want massages instead!!! Many subway/train lines are not running but luckily the PATH was running part schedule and that got me into NYC!!

Even over here where we get a lot more snow than the UK it can sometimes come down so hard and fast that it can cause problems New Jersey has even declared a state of emergency - mainly to try to keep people of the roads which are really bad.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:25 am
Just Joined

dx052 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cold.......
Old Dec 27th 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Dunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
I hear that you have had the worst snow since 1981 - I guess that surprised me a bit (wasnt there in '81 was sweltering here) - I thought it was longer ago than that that the whole country ground to a halt.

I hope you guys can enjoy it and keep nice and toasty warm. I do worry about what happens if my aged parents' heater packs up (Dad says it is going full bore at the mo) and what if they cant get to Tescos (they have brilliant neighbours and I can always do an online shop for them and leave it up to the delivery drivers to deliver) but I dont think Cambridge has had that much snow (will call to check shortly)

Meanwhile, you guys keep warm! (Anyone want a down jacket? I left one in the aged parents' loft after two abortive attempts to need it this year!)
I would love to be back in UK for xmas and new year!!!!!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:28 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dunstable Diva
I would love to be back in UK for xmas and new year!!!!!
Where are you?

And welcome to BE
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Dunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really nice

I am in Kelowna BC Canada. I have been here for 5 years and I find this time of year difficult not being around my extended family. My boys are 15 and 17 and find mum and dad boring but we have such a great laugh when we are back in UK with mum sisters nieces and nephew. Its a different atmosphere!!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

I am in Kelowna BC Canada. I have been here for 5 years and I find this time of year difficult not being around my extended family. My boys are 15 and 17 and find mum and dad boring but we have such a great laugh when we are back in UK with mum sisters nieces and nephew. Its a different atmosphere!!
My sentiments exactly,skype just doesnt cut.Thats why Im going back January 7th 2011.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:45 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Don't all teens find the adults in their family boring
Good luck with the plans to move if you are trying.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen
My sentiments exactly,skype just doesnt cut.Thats why Im going back January 7th 2011.
I was on skype for an hour and a half and all my family were at my sisters house and we were laughing and joking. My mum is 80 and she has such a great sense of humour and fun. I came off skype feeling completley deflated. I hope to move back on day. Kids 15 and 17 difficult time to move again. I am proud to be British. I think British people are the best in the world. Thats why its called GREAT Britain. Of course thats my opinion!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.