Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What are those of you that have moved back to UK feeling this winter???

Wikiposts

What are those of you that have moved back to UK feeling this winter???

Old Dec 18th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default What are those of you that have moved back to UK feeling this winter???

Just wondered what everyone is thinking about Xmas this year if you've moved back.

We moved back in September. On one had I'm really enjoying my first Xmas back and experiencing it all again but I did catch myself asking "why did I get so homesick at Xmas in WA, was it blown into something bigger than it needed to be"

mmmmm anyones thoughts x

p.s merry xmas xx
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are those of you that have moved back to UK feeling this winter???

Ds is spending his first UK Christmas since he was a little kid. Come to think of it it snowed when he was a little kid that Christmas too
He seems to be coping with it OK, getting to work alright, but feeling the cold and wearing more clothes than he ever did here in California.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are those of you that have moved back to UK feeling this winter???

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Ds is spending his first UK Christmas since he was a little kid. Come to think of it it snowed when he was a little kid that Christmas too
He seems to be coping with it OK, getting to work alright, but feeling the cold and wearing more clothes than he ever did here in California.
My DS is also in the UK, I believe it's his first UK Christmas for about 20 years, will be interesting to hear his thoughts. I know for sure he is missing the sun and surf here.........
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
My DS is also in the UK, I believe it's his first UK Christmas for about 20 years, will be interesting to hear his thoughts. I know for sure he is missing the sun and surf here.........
Sun? it's been peeing it down for weeks. My son came back for his first Aus Christmas in 9 years and was hoping for some sunshine - he's managed one day in the surf thus far!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:38 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Sun? it's been peeing it down for weeks. My son came back for his first Aus Christmas in 9 years and was hoping for some sunshine - he's managed one day in the surf thus far!
Well you will insist on living in Canberra.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Just wondered what everyone is thinking about Xmas this year if you've moved back.

We moved back in September. On one had I'm really enjoying my first Xmas back and experiencing it all again but I did catch myself asking "why did I get so homesick at Xmas in WA, was it blown into something bigger than it needed to be"

mmmmm anyones thoughts x

p.s merry xmas xx
I think it's because you have the luxury of actually being THERE.

Because if you were HERE you would be just as homesick as us lot who feel it, especially at this time of the year.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well you will insist on living in Canberra.
Ah, but he went to the beach!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 6:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by quoll
Ah, but he went to the beach!!!!!
And it has been raining here since lunch time!!!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Cold probably.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

It's bloody cold!

It's our first UK Christmas for 8 years. Will feel a lot better about it when hubby's pay hits our bank account, then perhaps I can finally get excited about it.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by geeandtee
It's bloody cold!

It's our first UK Christmas for 8 years. Will feel a lot better about it when hubby's pay hits our bank account, then perhaps I can finally get excited about it.
It was my first UK Christmas last year for about 18 years and I bloody LOVED it!!!

This year is just so blah in comparison, I cannot believe it is less than a week away and I feel nothing................
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:22 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Cold probably.
Fark me, how can you post this here and not get banned? My butt would be toast for that comment
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Fark me, how can you post this here and not get banned? My butt would be toast for that comment
Some of us have it, others don't. Build a bridge.....
Old Dec 19th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PoppetUK

mmmmm anyones thoughts x

p.s merry xmas xx
After living in North America for 23 years and experiencing the mass hysteria that sweeps the continent around Christmas time (usually starting with Christmas carols being played in Wal-Mart in early September), it is nice to experience a slightly lower key Christmas in the UK. However, they are getting there, as usual, the UK will always copy what the Americans do. No doubt, another record number of credit card defaults in February.

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 19th 2010 at 2:58 am.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hear that you have had the worst snow since 1981 - I guess that surprised me a bit (wasnt there in '81 was sweltering here) - I thought it was longer ago than that that the whole country ground to a halt.

I hope you guys can enjoy it and keep nice and toasty warm. I do worry about what happens if my aged parents' heater packs up (Dad says it is going full bore at the mo) and what if they cant get to Tescos (they have brilliant neighbours and I can always do an online shop for them and leave it up to the delivery drivers to deliver) but I dont think Cambridge has had that much snow (will call to check shortly)

Meanwhile, you guys keep warm! (Anyone want a down jacket? I left one in the aged parents' loft after two abortive attempts to need it this year!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.