Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Are They talking About????

What Are They talking About????

Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:19 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Are They talking About????

Well this just proves the economic downturn is really not the doom and gloom picture it's being predicted as.

Have a read
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7900142.stm

I've been following this news link which has been monitoring businesses in the UK for signs of deep trouble. The good news is that most them remain reasonably unaffected and their confidence is good.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What Are They talking About????

Originally Posted by cricket1
Well this just proves the economic downturn is really not the doom and gloom picture it's being predicted as.

Have a read
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7900142.stm

I've been following this news link which has been monitoring businesses in the UK for signs of deep trouble. The good news is that most them remain reasonably unaffected and their confidence is good.
That's interesting reading.

The doom and gloom merchants tend to foster more doom and gloom which then often can become self fulfilling.

Good to hear there are businesses riding the recession out and not everything is going under as some reports would have you believe.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:36 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Good message there.
I follow the business news constantly. Definately the BBC news is a great source of information for news in the UK, I have it as my home page.
I think it shows that smaller businesses are either generally less affected in the UK, or more optimistic, and that the squeeze in some sectors is certainly not as bad as is being suggested by some media sources.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:43 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the business I'm in (leisure courses) has reached its highest fee income ever this January and we are due to high in Feb too. People are still spending in this sector it seems.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:01 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Yeah the business I'm in (leisure courses) has reached its highest fee income ever this January and we are due to high in Feb too. People are still spending in this sector it seems.
Hi,
That's fantastic news to hear. Here's hoping that the income continues to go up for you!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think the British B&B industry will be busy this year (no-one going abroad on hols), I also read that delivery pizza companies are raking it in (eating at home instead of expensive restaurants).

As was said on here (US Forum, I think) a few weeks back, there are some industries that thrive during hard times (any kind of repair company, for example).

My local car mechanic said they have more business than they can handle. People can't afford a new car so they decide to get the old one serviced to make sure it will go another year, etc.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to hear this
Even Blockbusters is taking a bashing here, it's one of the 15 endangered firms likely to hit the wall here this year. People aren't spending. I think UK overstates the problem and the US understates- things are far worse here than the media would have you believe.

Last edited by Taffyles; Feb 20th 2009 at 3:54 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 4:44 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

UK retail sales rise in January

Note though that those 'analysts' are still talking down the figures!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:33 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of doom predictions which don't make any sense on one level but then they do on another. I believe what's really happening is the recession is dividing people and businesses into two groups. Those that have overborrowed and live on credit are going down like a ton of bricks because they've raided the golden goose and gone too far. The amount of borrowing by businesses and companies is staggering, even moreso when you see how they've literally misappropriated their spending, such as companies buying expensive cars, refurbishing expensive office suites and frittering away money on lunches, hotels and board meetings that are really, luxury vacations.
It's easy to see how this group have been caught out and it's now easier for them to wind down, declare themselves insolvent and then start up again. They are using the credit crunch as an excuse to free themselves of debt. Hopefully they will be denied credit so that they can't start up in business again.

People with excessive loans, credit card debt and mortgages are also going to be in trouble especially if they lose their jobs.

However, those businesses and individuals who have not overborrowed will survive and this is what I believe we are really seeing. The survival of sensible and ethical business practice and people while the greedy, irresponsible ones sink themselves.

That's just my view on things anyway.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:19 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Just because 10 small businesses are doing ok does not necessarily mean that the whole country is fine.

This car plant closing down is more worrying http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7901092.stm
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny B
Just because 10 small businesses are doing ok does not necessarily mean that the whole country is fine.

This car plant closing down is more worrying http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7901092.stm
The point is, that we're all being led to believe that it's all doom and gloom out there so we all know about car factories closing. It's making the headlines every day all day. What's not making the headlines is the news such as those businesses that are thriving and we need to hear a balance.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the media are quite often merchants of chaos, however one can not deny the facts. The news this week has included 'Goodyear' dropping 5,000 jobs. Less cars selling/leasing = less tires needed. DHL closing a location and 3000 local workers laid off. Watching the families queuing up for hours in the freezing snow and waiting patiently for a box of food and personal items to get them through as they have no money should not be brushed off because for them, their reality IS doom and gloom right now. Florida's rate of unemployment is over 8% and climbing. Some other figures that scare people and rightly so: Caterpillar have fired over 22,000 people. Boeing 10,000 people laid off. Starbucks 6,700 people now without jobs. Microsoft has had it's first mass wipe-out and let 5,000 staff go. I picked these companies as examples because these are large companies that we have all heard of and I personally would never have imagined seeing such enormous losses.

In the USA though, Health care is booming, understandably! Churches are also doing well to as I have read. Charities have reported less and smaller donations being received. Walmart is doing fantastic. McDonalds can't dish out their cheap food fast enough and Craigslist is everyones favorite place to shop. To me this is not doom and gloom, it's facts. It only becomes doom and gloom if we allow ourselves to become emotional about it and of course, that is where the media play their part.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I agree that the media are quite often merchants of chaos, however one can not deny the facts. The news this week has included 'Goodyear' dropping 5,000 jobs. Less cars selling/leasing = less tires needed. DHL closing a location and 3000 local workers laid off. Watching the families queuing up for hours in the freezing snow and waiting patiently for a box of food and personal items to get them through as they have no money should not be brushed off because for them, their reality IS doom and gloom right now. Florida's rate of unemployment is over 8% and climbing. Some other figures that scare people and rightly so: Caterpillar have fired over 22,000 people. Boeing 10,000 people laid off. Starbucks 6,700 people now without jobs. Microsoft has had it's first mass wipe-out and let 5,000 staff go. I picked these companies as examples because these are large companies that we have all heard of and I personally would never have imagined seeing such enormous losses.

In the USA though, Health care is booming, understandably! Churches are also doing well to as I have read. Charities have reported less and smaller donations being received. Walmart is doing fantastic. McDonalds can't dish out their cheap food fast enough and Craigslist is everyones favorite place to shop. To me this is not doom and gloom, it's facts. It only becomes doom and gloom if we allow ourselves to become emotional about it and of course, that is where the media play their part.

So tell me why 500,000 jobs are still available in the UK? And please tell me why out of the predicted 3 million unemployed, there are still 1.97 million out of work but out of this figure 1.7 million were already long term unemployed?
http://www.careers-jobs.eu/news/
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies

Been in Florida 17 years - we came here in the '91 recession, and I've never seen things this bad. The media glosses things over here.
The amount of garage sales is phenomenal though- people aren't buying where I live, they're selling their stuff.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

So tell me why 500,000 jobs are still available in the UK? And please tell me why out of the predicted 3 million unemployed, there are still 1.97 million out of work but out of this figure 1.7 million were already long term unemployed?
http://www.careers-jobs.eu/news/
I followed your link and at the top of the page it says:
18191 UK Jobs
64 New Jobs Today
Where should I be looking to see 500,000 UK jobs?
No, not to worry, I just scrolled and saw the article below.

Unemployment in the UK is at a 10 year high. With nearly 2 million people currently unemployed, 500,000 jobs is only going to go so far and you have to ask... why are these jobs still available? It's a bit like when an attractive house goes on the market, it doesn't last long and all the other homes that are not so great are available for a much longer time. The UK has experienced a sharp kick in the gut with the record number of redundancies reported over the past 3 months. It's very likely that the number of unemployed is already over 2 million people simply because the number of unemployed people who are not claiming JSA can not be accurately counted.

Personally I believe that if one is focused enough, one will find work no matter what the odds. My real concern though is of the quality of jobs available and the overall effect this downturn is having on peoples lives that is directly related to their jobs. People are having to work much harder, going the extra mile, not speaking out or up for themselves trying not to upset the boss or rock the boat, not asking for a pay rise no matter how deserved and doing longer hours for no additional pay, for fear of losing their jobs. This leads to low moral, fear and depression.... and that's the people with jobs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.