Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

what stuff do you ship back and what do you sell?

what stuff do you ship back and what do you sell?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

rocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant future
Default what stuff do you ship back and what do you sell?

Hi everyone,I'm just wondering what household things you would ship back to U.K. and what would you sell.Would it be cheaper to buy certain things back in U.K rather than the cost of shipping
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what stuff do you ship back and what do you sell?

Personally there is very little I would take back - just the books, personal memorabilia etc and even then I could probably get the DH to cull his library somewhat. Oh yes, and my stitching stash of course Looks around - OK we have some furniture made by my FIL, that would have to go I suppose but all the other stuff I would flog and buy new.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:40 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

we are getting rid of every thing, just keeping personal items, My Dh tools he sending them home,my christmas decorations. but other than that very little si coming back with us. selling furniture for what we can get
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:20 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

When i was back in UK last year I did a lot of research on household items ready for when we return.
There are so many bargains around I dont think it is worth taking most things back, especially when you realise how much the shippers charge!
I would imagine that now the credit crunch has hit, theres even more bargains to be had. I also discovered that on ebay you can pick up good quality secondhand appliances and furniture for an absolute pittance.

You must also take into account that a lot of your furniture maybe to big for the smaller UK homes.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rocme
Hi everyone,I'm just wondering what household things you would ship back to U.K. and what would you sell.Would it be cheaper to buy certain things back in U.K rather than the cost of shipping
I would get rid of most of the kitchen stuff and things around the house you use everyday as it's an awful long wait for it the other end. We ended up with 2 of just about everything when our shipping finally arrived. So next move will be tools and personal stuff only.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really nice

We are getting quotes at the moment and they will be around NZ$8/9000 to take all our stuff back to the UK. We have done this twice now and my husband thinks for what you get for them second hand and for what you have to pay for the item back in the UK it's worth taking the stuff back eg. sofas, beds, bikes everything. I'm not sure?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:57 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

We are selling all the furniture, but taking back our personal items, books, CD's etc. I am taking the whole content of my workroom because it's my business (I have a fashion design & manufacturing business).

Thought long and hard but decided I have no emotional attachment to any of it. A new broom sweeps clean as they say so it's all going. What we can't sell we'll happily give away.

btw, how do i switch the smilies on?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sue1
We are getting quotes at the moment and they will be around NZ$8/9000 to take all our stuff back to the UK. We have done this twice now and my husband thinks for what you get for them second hand and for what you have to pay for the item back in the UK it's worth taking the stuff back eg. sofas, beds, bikes everything. I'm not sure?
just taking back a few things you will probably save $4/5000 + and then add what the second hand value is, that buys quite a bit of furniture and your not sleeping on the floor for 10-14 weeks waiting for your stuff to arrive . Just my thoughts but it's down to you to decide.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:10 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

If you can sleep on it, take an inflatable bed back as hand luggage with a sleeping bag in your suitcase. It takes the rush out of having to buy a bed.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricket1
If you can sleep on it, take an inflatable bed back as hand luggage with a sleeping bag in your suitcase. It takes the rush out of having to buy a bed.
good idea that way my OH will only have room in the suitcase for sexy undies

smilies are in the misc options uncheck the box that says disable smilies in txt
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tricky one for us, as I will be going on ahead while Mrs Triboy finishes her degree, so I'll need to borrow the same type of stuff over there, that will be shipped, and will be buying new over there the stuff that OH will sell/chuck.

We live pretty (read very) minimally anyway, probably the largest volume items we will ship will be my three cycles. I may sell two here, I'm not sure, but they have a replacement value of about $22,000, so some hard decisions to make there. My two guitars will definitely ship as they are both handmade, and my very small tube amp as that was a present from Mrs Triboy

Apart from that, we have an office chair (which will be dismantled and boxed), at 26" Bravia flatscreen, stereo microwave and kitchen stuff.

our bed won't be shipped and I'll buy new in the UK, as I'll need a bed anyway and our base isn't worth shipping and our matress is 4yrs old, so due for renewal anyway. Our sofa was bought from a friend in 06 and had been recovered so it was like new, but isn't worth shipping as we bought it for only $400. TV unit whilst looks good, was flat pack from freedom, and probably wouldn't survive a international move and I'll buy a solid built unit over there. we have no tall boys, wardobes, bedside drawers or anything like that.

My plan is to borrow a tv, kitchen stuff and small fridge from my parents (who luckily have spares of all that) and buy a Freeview box over there so our tv can be used when it does arrive (I hope!)

I'll fly business so i get extra allowance anyway, and we might send some boxes on ahead. It's tricky when you don't go together. Luckily the Korean magazines in sydney offer free advertising to Koreans and we'll be around Eastwood at that time, and there's always students from MacQuarie Uni looking to buy stuff.

Our big question is our fridge/freezer (see my other thread). Haven't quite worked that one out yet.

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jan 20th 2009 at 9:29 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
It's a tricky one for us, as I will be going on ahead while Mrs Triboy finishes her degree, so I'll need to borrow the same type of stuff over there, that will be shipped, and will be buying new over there the stuff that OH will sell/chuck.

We live pretty (read very) minimally anyway, probably the largest volume items we will ship will be my three cycles. I may sell two here, I'm not sure, but they have a replacement value of about $22,000, so some hard decisions to make there. My two guitars will definitely ship as they are both handmade, and my very small tube amp as that was a present from Mrs Triboy

Apart from that, we have an office chair (which will be dismantled and boxed), at 26" Bravia flatscreen, stereo microwave and kitchen stuff.

our bed won't be shipped and I'll buy new in the UK, as I'll need a bed anyway and our base isn't worth shipping and our matress is 4yrs old, so due for renewal anyway. Our sofa was bought from a friend in 06 and had been recovered so it was like new, but isn't worth shipping as we bought it for only $400. TV unit whilst looks good, was flat pack from freedom, and probably wouldn't survive a international move and I'll buy a solid built unit over there. we have no tall boys, wardobes, bedside drawers or anything like that.

My plan is to borrow a tv, kitchen stuff and small fridge from my parents (who luckily have spares of all that) and buy a Freeview box over there so our tv can be used when it does arrive (I hope!)

I'll fly business so i get extra allowance anyway, and we might send some boxes on ahead. It's tricky when you don't go together. Luckily the Korean magazines in sydney offer free advertising to Koreans and we'll be around Eastwood at that time, and there's always students from MacQuarie Uni looking to buy stuff.

Our big question is our fridge/freezer (see my other thread). Haven't quite worked that one out yet.
Fridge/freezer thats a tricky one, from my personal experience it's hard enough to get one delivered from the store without dents in it let alone shipping to another country. But i guess thats why we take out insurance.
Soz i'm not much help
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
Banned

Going by the weather, you won't need a fridge in the UK.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Going by the weather, you won't need a fridge in the UK.

When we go to my sister's cottage for Xmas, they always put the drinks out on the doorstep. The fridge is usually full anyway and it's less of a walk from the living room to the front door, as it is from the kitchen.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

rocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone for your replys.
I've also been looking on the website www.rightmove.co.uk and some of the propertys that I would be interested in (or could afford) would not fit half my stuff ;particularly my fridge/freezer.Also I agree that I don't think electrical stuff travels so well.I haven't looked at shipping costs yet but I'd say it would be around the $9000 mark which is a lot of money to spent if half of it has to remain in storage....ummmm... so much to think about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.