Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What sort of teen were you?

Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What sort of teen were you?

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Can we please get back to the topic at hand and not about Big Pete (as always )
Go on then put the thread back on topic...what sort of teen were you?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 5:18 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

The biggest difference from where we live now in the US was the ease of getting around independently by bus, train or strangers' cars

I was quite able at school and well-behaved, I guess I started drinking in pubs aged about 16 and got blotto a few times although I am horrified by kids doing it now!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Go on then put the thread back on topic...what sort of teen were you?
I did earlier and am not allowed to divulge any more info
Old Apr 8th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

The sort that I wouldn't want my children to be
Old Apr 8th 2007, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
I was the perfect teenager,

Polite
well mannered
worked since age 11 on paper rounds morning and evenings
proper job at 16
own business at 18
looked after my mum when father died of cancer at 48 !! i was aged 19

If only the new generation of young uns were like that ..
A lot of them are
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:32 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

A boring sensible one. Gawd if I could turn back the clock, the fun I'd have
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by chance to be
When you are a teenager, you need, I think to be able to do a few crazy or exciting things, so you can look back on your teens and say "thats nothing, remember the time we..blah blah blah" and feel you were once with it and lived a little. I want my kids to be safe but I also want them to feel they did some pretty exciting things in their teens so they can look back with excitement.

Here are a few things I (or teens today, wont say which is which) did/do that the teens in Oz might not be able to. Can anyone think of anything else they did or kids today do that they may not be able to experience in Oz?

1) Going to see a Premier league footie match with a capacity crowd of thousands. Even if you hate football, the atmosphere and banter and bit of edge is amazing at big matches.

2) Going to old, creepy graveyards and trying to do something supernatural (or sexy!)

3) going on a package holiday with your mates

4) lying about your age to get into pubs/clubs

5) Catching a train to a town you've never been to before - just for a night out.

6) going to your twin town/having or being an exchange student

7) Having mates that live in mansions and mates who live in council flats - but all going out together just the same.

8) pub crawling because you like the music scene from pub-pub

9) going to a city and seeing someone famous or their house ....and thinking its not that big a deal.

10) Going to a live gig with thousands of people like Glastonbury, getting soaking wet and cold but it doesnt matter "cos yer hard"

Of course, in Oz there are opportunities that we couldnt have here, especially around the sea and wildlife and some sports, but its good not to loose sight of what you did as a child that made it great to be a teen in the UK too.

Any other suggestions?

c
Used to go to pubs at 15/16 my folks thought I was ok cos my sisters were there, half the time my sisters were tucked up nicely in their beds with no knowledge that I had said they were there!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

2) Going to old, creepy graveyards and trying to do something supernatural (or sexy!)
We lived in vicarages, usually very close to the graveyards, and used to spook anyone who came to stay by taking them round the graveyeard at night - way of life for us walking through churchyards at night, but some kids got very freaked out!......

4) lying about your age to get into pubs/clubs
We used to practice our dates of birth before going into the pub so we wouldn't slip up! Two fave pubs we used to frequent at lunchtimes were The Tin Donkey, where you got served as long as you took your school tie off, and The Black Horse, where the local copper would ring before dropping in for a pint, to make sure he never had to arrest us!!

10) Going to a live gig with thousands of people like Glastonbury, getting soaking wet and cold but it doesnt matter "cos yer hard"
Anyone else here frequent the Kent Bike show back in the late 80s??? Not a teen thing for me, but similar to those live gigs!

Any other suggestions?

c
Hmmm.....bunking of school to watch Grease and Star Wars for the 189th time - we had to skip the last lesson, change in the loo, and creep out through the back gate, and then lie to our parents bout going to So-and-so's for tea

.......locking ourselves in the school lecture theatre with several bottles of cider to watch the Ashes from Headingley in 1981....think that was the day I fell down the steps of the school bus to see my dad standing there saying "Have you been drinking?" .........

School geography fieldtrips, where you could disappear for a while behind the sand dunes and other geographical features for a quick biology lesson

Watneys Party Seven - who remembers those? An essential for the teen lifestyle of the late seventies. For the children amongst us, this was a 7 pint tin of beer, best opened by thrusting a screwdriver through the lid, resulting in a fountain that covered everything within reach in Watneys! I know at least three church halls that reeked of the stuff for weeks afterwards. Parents hated having them in the huse because of the mess

My mate Neil got himself a job as a barman in a dodgy local when he was 16 and I was 15, so I used to tell my parents I was going round to his place to do homework.........God, what a horrible teenager I was.