Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What sets you off being homesick?

What sets you off being homesick?

Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What sets you off being homesick?

Originally posted by Merlot
I'm actually on a bit of a high at the mo so can talk about this without bursting into tears.

There are three things I can name that get me started about home. There are probably a dozen more.

1. Sitting at the bus stop going to work each day, watching the little ones off to primary school - every time I have to fight the tears as it makes me think of when I was small and off to school with my Mum taking me.

2. The opening credits of Love Actually - seen it over Christmas last year and the opening credits where people are meeting loved ones at the airport. I cried all the way through.

3. In a shop and noticing a Mum and daughter shopping together or having coffee - I feel robbed.

I am I just soft, cracked or both? Just wondering if silly things set you off. If they don't I think I may need to seek medical help!

Less than 5 weeks and counting . . . . M
Everything sets me off at the moment! Today I got a parcel from my mum with a few personal bits and bobs that I forgot to bring and when I thought of her sitting there wrapping it all up and going into my empty bedroom I just bawled my eyes out! She;d also put in one of my photo albums and looking at all the pics of my family made me wana jump on the plane right now and hug them all!

When I see mothers and daughters out shopping together I get a tear in my eye and wonder how on earth I've managed to survive without my mum.

Love actually - the airport scene got me going too. The scenes of London at xmas time as well, and I lived in belfast so what's that all about?!?!

The worst is when something happens and I go to ring my mum or my aunty and realise it's the middle of the night for them and I can't ring them.

God I could go on with this forever.....

Good to know others feel the same!

Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:25 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi pants

yep - gotta keep positive - basically im just thinking of all the good things to come out of it! im going to an aunty in june - first child in family so i would hate to be away from all that....

yep i worry a little about where im going to live - but not too much - everyones in the same boat! if i worked in edinburgh i could live with parents (!) and commute - 1.5 hours a day - not great but doable! or i could buy in a country town - but i know i would be bored- so i would end up in an apartment in edinburgh itself! i studied there in 89 and it changed an awful lot so its hard to imagine living there - when the rugby was on here in mel i bumped into scottish girls from edinburgh and they were raving about it -as is everyone!

may end in london - or europe - just have to see what happens...

5 years for me too - will be strange -
it was funny when i went home last july and was watching tele i kept telling my parents how old everyone looked on the tele! they had aged sooo much - and of course i havnt!

you'll be fine once your back - you'll probably make another group of friends of top of your old lot because your used to having to make friends over here.... i know what you mean though - but when i go back im keeping the mentality that i had when i came here - up for meeting new people!

have a great weekend
Old Feb 20th 2004, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Love Actually did it for me too - beautiful shots of London, xmas time, good english movie. Cried all the way home!

A drawing from my 5 yr. old nephew or a tel. message

News from friends of their get togethers without me

Being so bored at weekends gives me plenty of time to think about home ......
Old Feb 20th 2004, 5:15 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

It was the last Harry Potter film for me, the bit when Harry and Ron are flying in the car over the railway viaduct and also my best friend when she phoned me to tell me she was having a second baby, our little girls were born 4 days apart and I was desperate to think I was going to miss her having her second baby, anyhow as it turned out we were back in time and I was so glad I didn't miss it.

Susan
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Yep,

Love Actually made me very homesick too. Great shots of London at Xmas and those airport scenes....

Listening to the football commentary on the internet on a Saturday morning and realising I'm not able to go out and celebrate a win/drown the sorrows of a loss (mainly the latter at the moment) with my mates after the game.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 11:51 am
Merlot

Default All the same in the middle

I have just been catching up with your posts and getting very teary.

Agreed with each and everyone. Yep, stuck in the house yet again this weekend, red hot outside (29.5 degrees at 8 am in the car par at Coles, yes my highlight of the weekend!!). Getting hotter, house locked up with blinds shut - who said Australia was all about outside life. I have had literally 3 hours sleep if that, too hot. Ended up watching "No Going Back" on the Lifestyle Channel at 1 am. Lovely couple from Norfolk who went to Spain with two little ones for a self sufficient life - giving up the lot in England. They actually did really well, well planned and very resourceful. Gives one hope for a brighter future in Europe!!!!!

Hubby taken the car for his activities today so stuck, then again, where the hell does one go . . . . shopping centres, boring!!! Went there last night to meet my English friend for dinner and a bitching session! Luckily off to friends for a BBQ tonite and maybe a paddle in the ocean en-route!

I am over tired, fed up and very crabbie to be around - like a constant PMS :scared:

Hope peoples day's are better than this one for me . . . M

Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: All the same in the middle

Originally posted by Merlot
I have just been catching up with your posts and getting very teary.

Agreed with each and everyone. Yep, stuck in the house yet again this weekend, red hot outside (29.5 degrees at 8 am in the car par at Coles, yes my highlight of the weekend!!). Getting hotter, house locked up with blinds shut - who said Australia was all about outside life. I have had literally 3 hours sleep if that, too hot. Ended up watching "No Going Back" on the Lifestyle Channel at 1 am. Lovely couple from Norfolk who went to Spain with two little ones for a self sufficient life - giving up the lot in England. They actually did really well, well planned and very resourceful. Gives one hope for a brighter future in Europe!!!!!

Hubby taken the car for his activities today so stuck, then again, where the hell does one go . . . . shopping centres, boring!!! Went there last night to meet my English friend for dinner and a bitching session! Luckily off to friends for a BBQ tonite and maybe a paddle in the ocean en-route!

I am over tired, fed up and very crabbie to be around - like a constant PMS :scared:

Hope peoples day's are better than this one for me . . . M

Hang in there the weather will get cooler and you should feel better.....can you invite someone over while hubby is gone ?do you have children ?
Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:12 pm
Merlot

Default Re: All the same in the middle

Originally posted by jeannie
Hang in there the weather will get cooler and you should feel better.....can you invite someone over while hubby is gone ?do you have children ?
Thanks for your post. I am really restricted since selling our other car as where I live no public transport. My good friend here doesn't drive so I am the taxi. We met last night for dinner and a good chat. With car you can travel, we used to go down to Sydney every other weekend and have a ball! Girlie shops and people watching in cafes!

My best friend moved to Darwin at Christmas and the other is off to Queensland next month, she is in the same boat as me - boxes & packing.

The rest are couples with kids - I don't have kids or do other people's, makes it hard. We tend to all meet when I have my other half, that couple thing.

The rest of the plebs around me I just don't seem to relate too!!!! Sorry don't mean to be harsh. I just think life is too short to be surrounded by people you don't get along with.

If the weather was cooler it doesn't bother me as I can go for a walk or just chill around the house - do some mediation or reading. It is too hot to be still!!!!

Not long to go until sanity is returned and I have my family and friends around.

Thanks for your post though, I appreciate your concern.

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Feb 20th 2004, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

sjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant future

Being a bloke missing families doesn't come into it

However, when I'm away and happen to see footage of English countryside with music by VW causes a manly sniff.

Which is weird because I live in the country now (Suffolk - but we're off again soon) and drive about and walk the dog through those very shots without a thought.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Extreme bout of homesickness now - I've just unpacked my videos, having been in Oz since the end of October, and I'm watching a compilation of "Have I got News for You"...and am realising that even if my mate tapes future series of it, I won't understand it!
Very odd feeling.....
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

sjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant future

And speaking of videos, before we left Oz I made a compilation video of snippets of television we used to watch there: adverts, newscasters, Australia day in Perth, opening credits to shows we watched and all that kind of stuff.

Great stuff and every so often we get it out and have a good old remember about our time there.