Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What to say when asked/told Ill bet you love it here?

What to say when asked/told Ill bet you love it here?

Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all
Default What to say when asked/told Ill bet you love it here?

Help

I DONT LOVE IT HERE!!

I am sick to death of being told "I must love it here"but I usually end up agreeing because Im too polite to do otherwise.But then become angry with myself.
I asked a friend who is married to an australian how he knows(having never left australia)that its so wonderfulhere ?She said so many brits tell him/agree with him that its so wonderful,best place in the world etc etc

So what can I answer/orwhat do you say when asked?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:43 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to say when asked/told Ill bet you love it here?

Originally Posted by ellie10990
Help

I DONT LOVE IT HERE!!

I am sick to death of being told "I must love it here"but I usually end up agreeing because Im too polite to do otherwise.But then become angry with myself.
I asked a friend who is married to an australian how he knows(having never left australia)that its so wonderfulhere ?She said so many brits tell him/agree with him that its so wonderful,best place in the world etc etc

"I agree the weather is very nice"

"I agree the wildlife here is fantastic"

"I agree the ...(insert anything you can think of)..... is so pretty/exciting/splendid..."

Then change the subject...
Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:34 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Help

I DONT LOVE IT HERE!!

I would be tempted to say "Get bent!"
Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

Help

I DONT LOVE IT HERE!!

"It's certainly very different to the UK..."

"Mmmmmm..."

"The scenery's definitely spectacular..."

"I love the [insert anything at all you can think of]..."

"Yes, I'll miss it when we leave."

Sarah
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule I try not to speak to the locals because I find even if I stoop to their level of inane reasoning, as they are so good at spouting unadulterated crap about both countries they just beat me on experience

But if forced into a response, I usually reply with:

'As much as one can love a knuckle dragging cultureless black hole of unsophistated oblivion, coupled with an over exagerrated sense of financial, humanistic and geographical importance, married to a complete absense of national identity, pulling a trailer of superficial blandness on a truly horrendous scale, driven by a redneck crew who's vision is so insular they can see their own food digesting,,,then yes, I love it here'
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
'As much as one can love a knuckle dragging cultureless black hole of unsophistated oblivion, coupled with an over exagerrated sense of financial, humanistic and geographical importance, married to a complete absense of national identity, pulling a trailer of superficial blandness on a truly horrendous scale, driven by a redneck crew who's vision is so insular they can see their own food digesting,,,then yes, I love it here'
Am feeling the love.

Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:30 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhhhhhh, that bloody question has driven me insane over the past 4 years and it's also lost me some acquaintances too because I am just too darn honest (or big mouthed) as I always say "Nope, I don't love it." Usually shuts the Aussies up because they absolutely cannot freakin' believe that someone wouldn't love this, The Lucky Country, and it more often that not starts a heated discussion with the Poms.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say "I bet you'd love my country even more!"
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

If you were at a party in the UK and someone who had never lived in any other country had cornered a poor immigrant to tell them how great Britiain was and got all nasty to them if they said anything less than glowing about Britain - every single British person in that room would probably think the ranter was a total wanker.

This level of modesty is unknown in Australia.

FYI I usually go the "mmmmm" answer, or a non comittal shrug, even though I think it is okay here I won't accept it being rammed down my throat and I sure as HELL won't be grateful to live here FFS.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

What i have said in the past,only once mind you.

Yeah I love it too,all that beautiful graffiti,the skin cancer clinics,the red back spiders,the snakes,the box jellyfish,the lovely V8 utes with the fantastic fast drivers,the run down "Queenslanders",the drought,the expensive flights to...Anywhere! Yeah,your right, I love this country!

After that I realised they didn't get sarcasm.

Last edited by maka paka; Aug 12th 2008 at 9:23 am. Reason: Bad spelling
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by islandergirl
If you were at a party in the UK and someone who had never lived in any other country had cornered a poor immigrant to tell them how great Britiain was and got all nasty to them if they said anything less than glowing about Britain - every single British person in that room would probably think the ranter was a total wanker.

This level of modesty is unknown in Australia.

FYI I usually go the "mmmmm" answer, or a non comittal shrug, even though I think it is okay here I won't accept it being rammed down my throat and I sure as HELL won't be grateful to live here FFS.
Tut, tut, tut... how positively "un-Australian" of you...

*un-Australian being high on my list of most hated words* :curse:

Sarah
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by horrigans
Tut, tut, tut... how positively "un-Australian" of you...

*un-Australian being high on my list of most hated words* :curse:

Sarah

When someone tells me I'm being 'unaustralian' (which happens on a regular basis) I always reply with:

"You say that like it's a bad thing"!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:28 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

This applies to Canada as well. In the end I got sick of being a hypocritical as the freaky inhabitants of the town I've just escaped from, and so told 'em exactly how I felt, and why we were leaving. Most of them were too think-skinned to believe it.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Help

I DONT LOVE IT HERE!!

I say (about the US) "it has it's charm, but it's not home". (BTW, I bloody well hate it here!)
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Help

Bugger off springs to mind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.