Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What power does the IRS have in the UK?

Wikiposts

What power does the IRS have in the UK?

Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What power does the IRS have in the UK?

Originally Posted by tribec
The problem now is not just on annual returns - but what happens when you become an angel. As all US dual citizens know, whether you live in the US or not, the IRS taxes your worldwide estate. There are public case files in every state where the IRS has hammered estates of deceased citizens both in the US and abroad. These penalties are compounded by many things, including the deceased not filing annual returns. Do not think that the IRS care about you when you live because you may or may not earn or owe small amounts, they want you when you're actuarially mature because as you know, you're worth more dead than alive. For several years now, they have been leaving debts with survivors (read children and spouses) including but not limited to taxes, health costs etc. Get proper advice from an international accountant who is licensed in your former/current state as well as the UK or wherever you choose to retire and or die. Remember, it's not so much about now, due to things like tax treaties etc, but when you die.
In this case, perhaps it makes sense to give up citizenship.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tribec
The problem now is not just on annual returns - but what happens when you become an angel. As all US dual citizens know, whether you live in the US or not, the IRS taxes your worldwide estate.
You're not taxed on the first $5m (U.S. citizens and residents) so this is generally not an issue to concern most people.

For several years now, they have been leaving debts with survivors (read children and spouses) including but not limited to taxes, health costs etc.
You can't "leave" debts to another person.

Get proper advice from an international accountant who is licensed in your former/current state as well as the UK or wherever you choose to retire and or die. Remember, it's not so much about now, due to things like tax treaties etc, but when you die.
The federal estate tax does not concern 95%+ of citizens.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I'd also heard that too, that if you try to revoke your US citizenship they consider you dead and you'll owe them. Honestly, it's getting to be the case that to have no money is better in the long run where the IRS is concerned. I assume your doctor friend in the Caribbean has decided not to revoke it? ( I wish I'd more carefully thought through this whole US citizenship thing before I did it )
B*stards, all of them if you ask me
... And this is one of the reasons why I have yet to get my US citizenship. Most of my family members have, I just can't seem to make up my mind
Old Mar 10th 2013, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
... And this is one of the reasons why I have yet to get my US citizenship. Most of my family members have, I just can't seem to make up my mind
I had to get a citizenship because of the my job. Other than that, I would NEVER have got it - by choice.