Wikiposts

What an odd thing to say.

Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What an odd thing to say.

Originally Posted by chris955
Many of those who have settled wherever they are seem unable or unwilling to see any good at all in their old country and will jump into any thread to counter any negative post about their new country or indeed to infer that anyone with a positive opinion about the UK for instance must be lying or deluded.
I think it needs to be remembered that many don't do this and that even where someone does jump in to disagree/agree it may be only on that particular aspect.

You mention the old crime issue.

I didn't leave the UK to "get away"; I simply met a Canadian resident in Canada, married and moved. I have no axe to grind nor do I need to seek to justify living in Canada.

But I'm not blind to the fact that this small city (more of a town to me) has a fraction of crime/vandalism of some places in the UK a tenth of the size. I don't see the smashed up bus shelters, vandalised payphones, piles of vomit etc here that I used to see on my way to work back in Bristol.

One can improve things like this by moving elsewhere in the UK but it's not necessarily affordable or practical to do so. Not that it's necessarily affordable or practical to come to Canada either, but once here living with low crime in a decent sized city is certainly possible.

On the other hand there is way to much bureaucracy and red tape here.

So if there's a thread on crime and I jump in, it may seem like I'm having a go at the UK/justifying my move here when I'm simply recognising my reality and on the other hand I'm not having a go at the new country if I complain about red tape.

Of course there are miserable sods who just don't have a good word to say whether it's about old or new home.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:45 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, there are freely available international crime stats (I posted a link in another thread yesterday) and they show that the UK is only slightly worse than Canada on most measures and is better than the US and Australia on most measures. So a lot of the anecdotal stores based on having lived in a bad spot, or just being unlucky, are actually not borne out by the facts.

Yes, Canada ranks slightly below the UK in car thefts and assaults - but only slightly. That said, being in New Brunswick I would think you would see very little crime, just as people in many parts of England see very little crime. It all depends on the area you choose and that applies to every country.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
That said, being in New Brunswick I would think you would see very little crime, just as people in many parts of England see very little crime. It all depends on the area you choose and that applies to every country.
Exactly right.
But I would still suggest that comparable crime rates iin the UK to those of this city (others in NB too and not just NB) would be in places where property prices in relation to the rest of the UK would generally be high and/or employment opportunities would be scarce or involve a lengthy commute.

A couple of years ago I saw some robbery & break-in figures for Fredericton and I contrasted the same ones for Bristol. Depending on where you get your population figures from, Bristol is 5 to 8 times the size of Fredericton.

Bristol break-ins were 47 times as high and robberies were 55 times as high.

That's an enormous difference, the kind of which one might expect in somewhere like Bradford on Avon or a sleepy village in the Cotswolds.

But red tape here is scandalous and the money the schools ask for is criminal.

Imagine having to provide your children's school supplies. My parents used to object to the once a term 10p school fund.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Since joining one of these Expats forums I have noticed more and more the odd things people say. Many of those who have settled wherever they are seem unable or unwilling to see any good at all in their old country and will jump into any thread to counter any negative post about their new country or indeed to infer that anyone with a positive opinion about the UK for instance must be lying or deluded.
The favourite one seems to be those that left the UK because of crime and then seemingly ignore the same level of crime here.
Is it to make themselves feel better about their decision ? I remember someone saying how they rarely saw grafitti in Australia and when they did it was removed within 24 hours, are they really living in the same Australia I am ? I recently returned from 3 weeks in the UK and gave my thoughts on the forum and presumably because they were mostly positive views one fool accused me of making it all up.
Just seems odd to me.
I remembered your post last night.

I was walking from the back of a Coles car park to a main road to try and find a BBQ chicken as I didn't want to cook in this stinkin' heat.

Anyway I was walking up this little lane way, there were clothes strewn everywhere, probably kids had taken them from a charity bin. Then there was a wire mesh fence and somebody had dumped loads and loads of beer and other bottles there, and there was heavy graffiti all over the walls.

It really was dirty and grubby and a disgrace in the middle of a suburb.

I shall return in 24 hours to see if said graffiti has been removed.

Oh and BTW this was not some seedy place where you would not dare set foot, it is Caringbah, right in the heart of The Shire aka God's country.

It really is all about perception, those with rose tinted glasses probably wouldn't see what I did.............

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 31st 2011 at 8:26 am.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes exactly right. The person who made the post you highlighted would in all probability be seeing their new home through the rose tinted glasses as you say. Back 'home' no doubt they only managed to see the bad bits and ignore all the good. I quite honestly think for many it is a coping mechanism, this is home now and I refuse to see the bad bits.

Originally Posted by Beedubya

It really is all about perception, those with rose tinted glasses probably wouldn't see what I did.............
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevski
Hi Can i just say i was this person when i migrated to OZ in 2006 , it is a fantastic place England has lost it and all that stuff, but after living here 5 years now i feel lost and a strange feeling of empty and dont know what to do to make myself better.
My family and i have been talking for a while know about moving back to the UK because we feel at this present time with all the crap we get from our own country/ goverment etc, i feel as we would enjoy our family and friends being closer, also the choice we would get from the UK super markets.
When we left UK in 2006 our money went a long way here in OZ but it dont go further than the front door now, i have compared many items of every day living here in OZ and UK and it seems as we are paying twice as much here compared to UK, even with the better wage here it seems as it costs us more to live in OZ than UK.
I feel as if i stay here we will find our selfs struggling more and more, but i cant find my crystal ball at the mo so who knows.
Im not saying that all people that migrate here have the feelings that im having but on reading on BE it seems as many people are just living here in oz and not having a life,
My children had many True friends in UK but they dont seem to have TRUE friends here.
If im true to myself, Australia is a great place for many but it seems as i have lived a summer for five years and its time for a change.
My family and i are talking of being back in the UK by the end of the year but we will see what happens in the next few months.We have to sell our house first and then sit down and make the big decision
Do we Stay or GO
Just to say good luck with your decision i understand about the friends thing its the same for us
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINDZI
Just to say good luck with your decision i understand about the friends thing its the same for us
Yup, 32 years here and can count the True Friends on fingers of one hand. I at least need 2 hands for the UK friends I still have.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup, 32 years here and can count the True Friends on fingers of one hand. I at least need 2 hands for the UK friends I still have.
Thats the thing i grew up in the same area (uk) all of my life with people who knew me all of my life (went to school and so on) and to come here and try and make friends has probably been the hardest thing of all
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:01 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Since joining one of these Expats forums I have noticed more and more the odd things people say. Many of those who have settled wherever they are seem unable or unwilling to see any good at all in their old country and will jump into any thread to counter any negative post about their new country or indeed to infer that anyone with a positive opinion about the UK for instance must be lying or deluded.
The favourite one seems to be those that left the UK because of crime and then seemingly ignore the same level of crime here.
Is it to make themselves feel better about their decision ? I remember someone saying how they rarely saw grafitti in Australia and when they did it was removed within 24 hours, are they really living in the same Australia I am ?
I recently returned from 3 weeks in the UK and gave my thoughts on the forum and presumably because they were mostly positive views one fool accused me of making it all up.
Just seems odd to me.
Yes, I've experienced this. Or the poster hasn't even arrived in Oz/NZ/Canada yet and tells you off for being negative and demands only positive stories please Oooookay then! Your idea of emigrating to <insert name of boring strip mall town here> is a fabulous one. You will never be cold, you will be instantly rich, and perpetually overjoyed to be there such that you will develop a small cult following wherever you go. Happy now?

FFS.

Equally annoying are the posters who can only see negatives in their new country and everything about the old country is better, even if they have to lie a bit to make it appear so.

Is it so hard to have some balance? I find this really odd too and am glad I'm not the only one. Do some people seriously expect their new home to be perfect?

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Feb 3rd 2011 at 7:04 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:40 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Equally annoying are the posters who can only see negatives in their new country and everything about the old country is better, even if they have to lie a bit to make it appear so.
I agree with everything you said, but with one caveat. I think it actually is hard to keep some balance when you have fallen out of love with a place and just want to be somewhere else. And if you can't make the move, for whatever reason, the negatives just seem to get bigger and bigger and it becomes hard to see any positives. I'm going through this myself now and I try very hard to think of good things - but I'm just saying it's hard to be trapped in a place you don't like.

Those people might not be 'lying' - they just might not be able to see things clearly at the moment.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything you said, but with one caveat. I think it actually is hard to keep some balance when you have fallen out of love with a place and just want to be somewhere else. And if you can't make the move, for whatever reason, the negatives just seem to get bigger and bigger and it becomes hard to see any positives. I'm going through this myself now and I try very hard to think of good things - but I'm just saying it's hard to be trapped in a place you don't like.

Those people might not be 'lying' - they just might not be able to see things clearly at the moment.
And then when you get your ticket to escape from "here" things don't seem quite so bad after all as the burden has been lifted and you look at it quite fondly now, just like an old friend but one you don't necessarily want to see every day!!

21 sleeps to go!!!!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

And then when you get your ticket to escape from "here" things don't seem quite so bad after all as the burden has been lifted and you look at it quite fondly now, just like an old friend but one you don't necessarily want to see every day!!

21 sleeps to go!!!!!!
Just like when you give your notice at a job you don't like, suddenly it seems fine
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:19 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

That's true. I certainly went through that in Oz. Luckily there was no BE for me to drive everyone nuts with my whining.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

21 sleeps to go!!!!!!
This is SO true .

I can now see this town in a new light, and really be grateful for the experiences it gave us ...now that we are leaving LOL !
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:03 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
This is SO true .

I can now see this town in a new light, and really be grateful for the experiences it gave us ...now that we are leaving LOL !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.