British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   What needs to be done...? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/what-needs-done-611995/)

EvoIX_MR2006 May 29th 2009 9:55 pm

What needs to be done...?

Hello All,

First time posting here, but have been lurking for a while. This site is excellent, and contains a wide variety of useful information - so much so, it's nearly confused me!

I am 21 years of age, nearly graduated from University here in the USA. I am considering a move (back?) to the UK. Over the past 4 years, life over here just hasn't quite been good. What family I have over here, is tearing itself apart. (Mum, Dad, Sister) I need to get away from it all, with an added benefit of seeing my entire family - some for the first time - for longer than a few weeks. Let me explain my situation a bit.

Both my parents are British Citizens, having moved to the states 2 years before I was born. I maintain a current British passport that states my nationality as 'British' (Though, I assume all British passports state this). I have never lived in the UK, though, and this is where my questions come in. From what I'd gathered prior to today, I wouldn't need to get a Visa for moving there since I am a British citizen. For the first 6 months, I'd be living with a relative while settling in. However, I was looking around here today and stumbled upon the UK Border Agency website which had a 'calculator', if you will, that allowed you to input your situation. Mine, of course is, British National living overseas in the US.

This calculator spit out that I will need a Visa. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm planning on jumping ship no later than May 31st of 2010, so I wanted to start taking the necessary steps to get this done prior to that date. What else would I need to do to live and work permanently in the UK?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, especially if you can lend a hand and respond!

Bob May 30th 2009 12:53 am

Re: What needs to be done...?

If you've got a Brit passport, your a Brit, that's all you need to live and work in the UK.

If you've got a NIC, that'll make your life easier with work, but if not, you can get a national insurance number easy enough.

Once you've set up residence you can get a NHS number and register with a GP, check out the NHS website on that or ask a local doctors practice.

You'll still need to file taxes to the IRS regardless, even though you probably won't have to pay any taxes to the IRS.

cricket1again May 30th 2009 1:35 am

Sounds exciting for you and as a young person, it will be a great adventure. You won't have a credit rating in the UK so you won't be able to obtain loans, a credit card, personal finance, etc so you do need to make sure that you take enough money to live on.
If you can find a bank in the US that also has branches in the UK, it's worth opening an account while you're in the US then asking them to introduce you to the UK branch (they verify all the relevant ID) and then open an account in the UK. In the months before you leave, transfer regular amounts, say $1,000 monthly into the UK account so there is some ongoing activity.
This will help you get a UK credit card and may start your credit rating. At the very least, it's makes you visible.

Keep your bank account open in the US and leave a few routes open to go back just in case. Be nice to your parents.:) You might end up broke and have to go back and live with them.;)

JAJ May 30th 2009 1:49 am

Originally Posted by EvoIX_MR2006 (Post 7616752)
Both my parents are British Citizens, having moved to the states 2 years before I was born. I maintain a current British passport that states my nationality as 'British' (Though, I assume all British passports state this). I have never lived in the UK, though, and this is where my questions come in. From what I'd gathered prior to today, I wouldn't need to get a Visa for moving there since I am a British citizen. For the first 6 months, I'd be living with a relative while settling in.

If your passport says British Citizen you do not need a visa.

You are a British citizen by descent, it seems:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent

As a United States citizen overseas you will need to:
- continue filing for U.S. federal income taxes; (credit is available for foreign taxes);
- maintain a valid U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.
- maintain your Selective Service registration, if male.

SarahInTX May 30th 2009 8:39 am

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7617146)
In the months before you leave, transfer regular amounts, say $1,000 monthly into the UK account so there is some ongoing activity.

:blink:

EvoIX_MR2006 May 30th 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7617101)
If you've got a Brit passport, your a Brit, that's all you need to live and work in the UK.

If you've got a NIC, that'll make your life easier with work, but if not, you can get a national insurance number easy enough.

Once you've set up residence you can get a NHS number and register with a GP, check out the NHS website on that or ask a local doctors practice.

You'll still need to file taxes to the IRS regardless, even though you probably won't have to pay any taxes to the IRS.

Great! This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll go to a Jobs office to enquire about an NIC when I head back over to start planning a few things out.

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7617146)
Sounds exciting for you and as a young person, it will be a great adventure. You won't have a credit rating in the UK so you won't be able to obtain loans, a credit card, personal finance, etc so you do need to make sure that you take enough money to live on.
If you can find a bank in the US that also has branches in the UK, it's worth opening an account while you're in the US then asking them to introduce you to the UK branch (they verify all the relevant ID) and then open an account in the UK. In the months before you leave, transfer regular amounts, say $1,000 monthly into the UK account so there is some ongoing activity.
This will help you get a UK credit card and may start your credit rating. At the very least, it's makes you visible.

Keep your bank account open in the US and leave a few routes open to go back just in case. Be nice to your parents.:) You might end up broke and have to go back and live with them.;)

I've got two accounts in the UK currently, an HSBC off-shore checking account with a few thousand pounds in it; and an Abbey National off-shore checking with a similar sum. I also hold a Citibank N.A. checking, and savings account as well as several credit cards -- all of which I am current on. They have forwarded me to Citibank UK, who I assume they will also forward credit related information?

What information is available in the UK to view your credit score? Is it similar to whats available here in the states?

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7617163)
If your passport says British Citizen you do not need a visa.

You are a British citizen by descent, it seems:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent

As a United States citizen overseas you will need to:
- continue filing for U.S. federal income taxes; (credit is available for foreign taxes);
- maintain a valid U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.
- maintain your Selective Service registration, if male.

So, when I leave the US for the last time and come to the UK, do I just hand him my passport with no stamps in it and say, "Hey, I'm back for good!", or do I need to get a pre-entry stamp of some sort?

dunroving May 30th 2009 9:15 am

Originally Posted by EvoIX_MR2006 (Post 7616752)
Hello All,

First time posting here, but have been lurking for a while. This site is excellent, and contains a wide variety of useful information - so much so, it's nearly confused me!

I am 21 years of age, nearly graduated from University here in the USA. I am considering a move (back?) to the UK. Over the past 4 years, life over here just hasn't quite been good. What family I have over here, is tearing itself apart. (Mum, Dad, Sister) I need to get away from it all, with an added benefit of seeing my entire family - some for the first time - for longer than a few weeks. Let me explain my situation a bit.

Both my parents are British Citizens, having moved to the states 2 years before I was born. I maintain a current British passport that states my nationality as 'British' (Though, I assume all British passports state this). I have never lived in the UK, though, and this is where my questions come in. From what I'd gathered prior to today, I wouldn't need to get a Visa for moving there since I am a British citizen. For the first 6 months, I'd be living with a relative while settling in. However, I was looking around here today and stumbled upon the UK Border Agency website which had a 'calculator', if you will, that allowed you to input your situation. Mine, of course is, British National living overseas in the US.

This calculator spit out that I will need a Visa. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm planning on jumping ship no later than May 31st of 2010, so I wanted to start taking the necessary steps to get this done prior to that date. What else would I need to do to live and work permanently in the UK?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, especially if you can lend a hand and respond!

It sounds like you are really on the ball and being very sensible and realistic about this move. I'm sure you will have a great adventure.

As an educator, I love the fact that your written spelling, punctuation and grammar are perfect (not often the case with people your age and especially on internet forums). When you get here, keep up those standards and it will make you stand above the crowd with employers and potential employers. [I'm not being patronizing, by the way, I just finished marking some pretty appalling pieces of written work by a class of 3rd year undergraduates!]

cricket1again May 30th 2009 10:28 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7617767)
It sounds like you are really on the ball and being very sensible and realistic about this move. I'm sure you will have a great adventure.

As an educator, I love the fact that your written spelling, punctuation and grammar are perfect (not often the case with people your age and especially on internet forums). When you get here, keep up those standards and it will make you stand above the crowd with employers and potential employers. [I'm not being patronizing, by the way, I just finished marking some pretty appalling pieces of written work by a class of 3rd year undergraduates!]

He didn't ask for an English lesson and by what he's written he doesn't need one.

Am Loolah May 30th 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7617859)
He didn't ask for an English lesson and by what he's written he doesn't need one.

Ummm - they didn't get an English lesson - they got a compliment?:blink:

cricket1again May 30th 2009 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7617870)
Ummm - they didn't get an English lesson - they got a compliment?:blink:

Lucky him.:) I bet he feels tons better now he got a pat on the head. How old is he?

JAJ May 30th 2009 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by EvoIX_MR2006 (Post 7617740)
So, when I leave the US for the last time and come to the UK, do I just hand him my passport with no stamps in it and say, "Hey, I'm back for good!", or do I need to get a pre-entry stamp of some sort?

Just show your British passport.

It's the same should you decide to return to the United States later on - just show your American passport.

There are, however, a lot of problems getting British passports overseas so don't wait until the last minute.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas

dunroving May 30th 2009 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7617859)

I think you need a lesson in reading. :confused:

dunroving May 30th 2009 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7617976)
Lucky him.:) I bet he feels tons better now he got a pat on the head. How old is he?

21, same age as the students whose work I was referring to.

cricket1again May 30th 2009 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7618515)
21, same age as the students whose work I was referring to.

A 21 year old adult who asked for advice on going to the UK.:confused:

Mummy in the foothills May 30th 2009 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7618678)
A 21 year old adult who asked for advice on going to the UK.:confused:

Is that confusing? Why?