Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

what memories do you have of the UK?

what memories do you have of the UK?

Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default what memories do you have of the UK?

One thing i know i miss is bonefire night!

i miss the could november evening around the bonefire and the hot soup! Fireworks, and organised displays. I used to live in Battle East Sussex and the display was amazing. Full parade and everything.
I remember as a child, my brothers and i made our own GUYFAULKS and went around door to door collecting. Upon our return our mother was furious with us. She said 'hand me the money, you should never go door to door asking for money". We thought it was great and we had already spent it in our minds.
Although i keep the memories, it is still not enough to make me turn around. Well not yet anyway!

what fond memories do you have?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what memories do you have of the UK?

Great idea for a thread. I also miss bonfire night. The 4th of July fireworks aren't the same; it's just not right without the cold weather and hot soup.

I also have fond memories of family holidays at caravan sites. They were a lot of fun, although as my sister and I got older I think the last couple of holidays turned into week-long slanging matches between all of us. Still good times though!

From later years, I have special memories of places I used to go with friends, especially in London. There is this little pier that juts out into the Thames on the South Bank in front of the Oxo tower. I shared my first kiss with my (now) wife there. Well, first good kiss anyway. Sorry, TMI.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Always21
Great idea for a thread. I also miss bonfire night. The 4th of July fireworks aren't the same; it's just not right without the cold weather and hot soup.

I also have fond memories of family holidays at caravan sites. They were a lot of fun, although as my sister and I got older I think the last couple of holidays turned into week-long slanging matches between all of us. Still good times though!

From later years, I have special memories of places I used to go with friends, especially in London. There is this little pier that juts out into the Thames on the South Bank in front of the Oxo tower. I shared my first kiss with my (now) wife there. Well, first good kiss anyway. Sorry, TMI.
THAT IS SO SWEET!

I thought it might be a good idea as everyone is always talking about the UK and moving back. But this way we can all share the memories, it does not mean we are going back. I am sure this will be interesting and there are also going to be good memories from Canada.

Were we really that different from the youth of today? Or was it that our rebelion was of a different nature?
I remember my brother was always in trouble. Breaking his leg when his was forbidden to go into the builders yard.

Come on guys! What memories do you have?

Are they truly the person you have become?

Or can't you ever imaging telling your children what you actually did?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:29 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, dont get me started. I was just a tot...
I remember the our house in plymouth...82 Pemross rd.
I remember walking round the corner with my sisters to Rita's shop to buy flying sauucer sweets.
I remember walking with my mum to take my sisters to school then stopping on the way home at the bakery.
I remember looking out our front window for hours waiting for my dad to come home (royal navy)
I remember taking the train up to stoke-on-trent to visit my grandma and grandad, then off to uncle Grahams house so he could give us a ride in his motorbike side car.
I remember picnics at Plymouth Hoe.
I remember playing at the park and Johnny Mclaughlin would always come round as he fancied my sister.
I remember Trafalgar square and the pidgeons landing on my head
I remember Big Ben

Ok.... gonna cry again.....I'll stop there.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:36 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

[QUOTE=callé]
[QUOTE]

Me too!!!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by callé
OMG, dont get me started. I was just a tot...
I remember the our house in plymouth...82 Pemross rd.
I remember walking round the corner with my sisters to Rita's shop to buy flying sauucer sweets.
I remember walking with my mum to take my sisters to school then stopping on the way home at the bakery.
I remember looking out our front window for hours waiting for my dad to come home (royal navy)
I remember taking the train up to stoke-on-trent to visit my grandma and grandad, then off to uncle Grahams house so he could give us a ride in his motorbike side car.
I remember playing at the park and Johnny Mclaughlin would always come round as he fancied my sister.
I remember Trafalgar square and the pidgeons landing on my head
I remember Big Ben

Ok.... gonna cry again.....I'll stop there.
Isn't it good to cherish those memories?

Those flying saucer sweets you are talking about are for sale over here. I bought some from the Pickering flea market in ontario. Most british food stores carry them. Or you can try the online goodie stores.

I remember taking a little fishing net on a cane down to the pond and staying there for hours. Somehow always managed to lose a shoe or something.

I remember signing into school then running down the street to get the bus to Lyme regis for the summer road show. I was really a good girl when i was growing up.

I remember day trips to weston super on the mud (mere). The new hip tropicanna swimming venue!

I remember going to smeatharpe (i think thats how you spell it) to watch my family racing. Banger racing. Loved the sound, smell and best of all coming home covered in little black peices everywhere.

Going to speedway racing.

Going to the local chippy for a bag of bits! can you imagine?

fresh cream(proper)

OH! I am am tearfull now! you got me started.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Real fresh cream and flying saucers, now I'm really hungry (had a Slim Fast for lunch)!!! I actually found flying saucers at a country store in Delaware on the way home from Ocean City, MD a couple of years ago and thought that was cool. My parents usually bring me some when they visit though. They will be here in three weeks and are bringing treacle sponge pudding, Polos, a Christmas Pudding and other essentials. However, yesterday I ordered Turkish Delight and clotted cream from englishteastore.com; the cravings are so bad I can't wait another three weeks! Slim Fast may have something to do with that.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I think just being able to take my my kids and drop in on family, its hard to comprehend that was once just so normal and now its impossible

My parents would take them up the park, feed squirrels, or take down to london for the big day out. My dad was always dragging out old toys we'd had and they would giggle at photos of us in 'party dresses' or mum would help them make a box of cakes, just such normal stuff they will never have now.

I regret more than anything taking that away from them.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just think that our mind is a very powerful tool and if we allow it to happen it can get carried away. We go into 'fantasy Uk' instead of the true reason for leaving in the first place. We are all guilty of this to a degree!

memories we build werever we are and our kids will go on to build their own.

it is good to have the memories and to share with others.
I am enjoying listening to your stories. it takes me back!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Walking home from school and buying a Jubilee (orange frozen triangular ice pop!
Running through the fallen Autumn leaves.
Collecting mounds of just cut grass with friends (my Mum must of hated the grass stains)
Collecting konkers, and always being beaten to the bigguns!
Bonfire Nights, collecting the scrap wood for weeks before
Holidays in Sandy Bay Devon Caravan Park, went each year
Collecting mushrooms over the Heath.
Going to Hampton Court and getting lost in the maze!
Going for long walks around Windsor Great Park, absolute heaven, especially Saville Gardens.

Our own children will make their own memories, albeit a little different to ours
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PLANTS
Walking home from school and buying a Jubilee (orange frozen triangular ice pop!
Running through the fallen Autumn leaves.
Collecting mounds of just cut grass with friends (my Mum must of hated the grass stains)
Collecting konkers, and always being beaten to the bigguns!
Bonfire Nights, collecting the scrap wood for weeks before
Holidays in Sandy Bay Devon Caravan Park, went each year
Collecting mushrooms over the Heath.
Going to Hampton Court and getting lost in the maze!
Going for long walks around Windsor Great Park, absolute heaven, especially Saville Gardens.

Our own children will make their own memories, albeit a little different to ours
OMG!
we use to go to sandy bay! I remember having to be rescued from the rocks there. Me and my brothers went out on the rocks to collect crabs. Before we knew it the tide had come in and we were stranded.
Isn't it a small world really.
we went the for a few years and we also went to rockly sands in Poole dorset, and another place near torquay! (it will come to me!)
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Always21
Real fresh cream and flying saucers, now I'm really hungry (had a Slim Fast for lunch)!!! I actually found flying saucers at a country store in Delaware on the way home from Ocean City, MD a couple of years ago and thought that was cool. My parents usually bring me some when they visit though. They will be here in three weeks and are bringing treacle sponge pudding, Polos, a Christmas Pudding and other essentials. However, yesterday I ordered Turkish Delight and clotted cream from englishteastore.com; the cravings are so bad I can't wait another three weeks! Slim Fast may have something to do with that.
Since we started this converation i can't stop thinking of the christmas pud and fresh clotted cream!
I had to check out the website, i might just have to order a little!

A propper cream tea!

Another thing i miss is scotch eggs. I am on a mission to make a batch this weekend!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:50 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: what memories do you have of the UK?

Originally Posted by babyblue
Since we started this converation i can't stop thinking of the christmas pud and fresh clotted cream!
I had to check out the website, i might just have to order a little!

A propper cream tea!

Another thing i miss is scotch eggs. I am on a mission to make a batch this weekend!
LOL, only the Scots could take an egg and slap batter all round it !!

I remember the orange ice triangles too and ....
something called Colts foot candy ? ( like long hexagon shape candy stick ) walking home from school.
snorkel parkas
black jackets with a yellow stripe down the arm ( class ! )
birmingham bag trousers ( never allowed to wear them by my mum )
sticking your finger in a bag of sherbet
sherbet dabs ( with the liquorice stick )
Mike Yarwood
Bonfire Toffee
Choppers ( mine was purple - and still is I hear you cry ! ) .......

oh I think I should stop there !
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tangram
LOL, only the Scots could take an egg and slap batter all round it !!

I remember the orange ice triangles too and ....
something called Colts foot candy ? ( like long hexagon shape candy stick ) walking home from school.
snorkel parkas
black jackets with a yellow stripe down the arm ( class ! )
birmingham bag trousers ( never allowed to wear them by my mum )
sticking your finger in a bag of sherbet
sherbet dabs ( with the liquorice stick )
Mike Yarwood
Bonfire Toffee
Choppers ( mine was purple - and still is I hear you cry ! ) .......

oh I think I should stop there !

What great memories these are all bringing back!
Keep it up, its lovely hearing them all
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

we took the kids to Sandy Bay too, one Easter, it poured the whole time - thought the caravan was gonna take off!

This is a really Sad thread.

gd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.