Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What made you leave the UK?

What made you leave the UK?

Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:26 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice
Default Re: What made you leave the UK?

Originally Posted by ellimere
This is the very reason why my dad (an American) would never return to the US. He's retired now in the UK and has lived there just over half of his life. Aside from family in the UK (me (though I'm currently in the USA) and my brother and my step-family) - he would never consider moving back purely because he would not be able to afford health care.
Obama has pledged to overhaul it. Let's hope he does
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bevm
And, on a practical point, as you come from the north, why not live there? You'd be free of the hassles of London and your horrible landlady, and among people more in tune with parts of you, I think. And as you're not doing well work-wise, that'd be no different.

Bev
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by woocus
Grew up in SA left for the UK with OH, spent 10 yrs in Kent, returned last yr due to OH longing for family. For all thats good about SA, I miss the gentleness and inherent respect most (decent) brits had for each other. I could bbq from April to Oct, even did a turkey on the weber one christmas, outside in the snow. Fishing was 10mins away. London 40mins on the train, and I could get lost walking thro the history of London, until my feet burnt/ached. Sunday lunch shoot down to Hastings for fish and chips on the beach, fri afternoon pack the overnight and be in Edinburgh 9 hrs later thro magnificent scenery. 70GBP and weekend in Ireland(enchanting), France or Switzerland or Italy. Spend the winters painting a few pics and exhibiting each Nov. Made friends with Brits that I'll be friends with to the grave. Walks in the countryside that equal anywhere in the world. I could go on. Negatives. Restaurant culture/service poor to middling. Brits depend heavily on their diaries, so spontaneous visits difficult. London run by 25 yr old recruitment people who know less than squat. Company managers that are more concerned about keeping their backsides protected than doing their jobs. Lazy/non working slobs that live off the system and don't feel embarrassed about it. Binge drinkers. Tough place to start/run a business, tho banking system brilliant. I could go on.
End result - now returning to buy a river boat and live on the Thames, cook and do tours for selected visitors.
I lived in South Africa for eight years and can understand why you would miss being there. It is, without a doubt, the most beautiful country I have ever seen. However, at least you have had the experience of living in another country which is a great experience for anyone and emmigration need not be forever. Diversity is what makes the World interesting and it is a good job that all of these countries are not the same - yet.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:57 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riosangel
What bothered you, Riosangel?

I said "And, on a practical point, as you come from the north, why not live there? You'd be free of the hassles of London and your horrible landlady, and among people more in tune with parts of you, I think. And as you're not doing well work-wise, that'd be no different."

I wasn't insulting the north, if that was what bothered you. It was just that Coda hates his/her London life and is originally from the north. Seemed logical to move there and see if England looked a bit better. It seems jobs are harder to come by in the north, but Coda can't make ends meet in London, so I don't see the downside.

That's all. Just trying to be helpful!

Bev
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Mary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dickchap
We left the UK not because we were sick of it or anything like that but because my husband got a good job opportunity. We had always thought it would be nice to try and live in another country. So it was now or never.
We have since realsied that it is not for us and so I am returning to the UK in May with my children and my husband will follow in October. It's been a hard decision to make but the reasons for my return is the feeling of not belonging, loneliness and having no support from family and friends. I enjoyed my life back in the UK.

When you get back to the UK, if you get a job for more than 16 hours a week, you'll be classed as a single parent until your hubby returns and be entitled to tax credit.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:03 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bevm
What bothered you, Riosangel?

I said "And, on a practical point, as you come from the north, why not live there? You'd be free of the hassles of London and your horrible landlady, and among people more in tune with parts of you, I think. And as you're not doing well work-wise, that'd be no different."

I wasn't insulting the north, if that was what bothered you. It was just that Coda hates his/her London life and is originally from the north. Seemed logical to move there and see if England looked a bit better. It seems jobs are harder to come by in the north, but Coda can't make ends meet in London, so I don't see the downside.

That's all. Just trying to be helpful!

Bev
Just want to dispell some myths. I do not hate my London life. Au contraire! It's just that OZ/NZ are better suited to me personally and I will be happier once im outta here.. Simple things like more affordable housing for one thing.

Also, I can make ends meet. Sure, when I arrived back in the UK I was potless. But that changed once I got a job. Money for me, is not my primary motivation in life, so being around all these venal craven consumerist hogs, doesn't really suit me much either.

And my sex? Yes please!

Last edited by Coda; Mar 2nd 2009 at 2:10 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:39 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra1
I am planning on returning to the UK within a year or two. I have been in the US (and have dual citizenship) for over 40 years. I left by myself during my teens simply to investigate if the grass is indeed greener on the other side of the hill. For the first three years I lived in San Francisco and then moved to New York, where I've been living for 40 years. Of course, I suffered the usual pangs of home sickness but over the years that diminished but never completely faded as my family remained in the UK. I have a really good life, great friends and fabulous job (I live and work in Manhattan). Now I'm readying for retirement there are factors that are crucial in the decision on returning to the UK. The older I get the more important my family is to me and I would like to spend my retirement years with them. The other issue that is also a vital deciding factor and that is hospital and medical coverage. Although Obama may be moving in the right direction, I think universal health coverage will be a while in coming, so having the NHS in UK is a comforting safety net.
If you've been in the US for over 40 years, you must be somewhere in your 60s? You will be eligible for Medicare at 65.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Willscot is an unknown quantity at this point

I immigrated to Australia in 1965 with my newly wedded wife; we are both Scots. After we parted some 10 years later, I enrolled in a Drama School in Melbourne. I was told quite frankly that I would not get any work in Australia with a Scottish accent so I spent the first year taking elocution lessons along with the drama exercises. I ended up sounding more English than the English. Suddenly, the Australian film industry took on an attitude against all British accents.
In 1980, I decided to pay a visit to the UK calling in on relatives. At first, I wasn’t too impressed with the cold March weather and the dreary council housing estates with their grey drab looking pebble dash walls. However, just by chance, I happened to drop in on one of my cousins who worked as an airline pilot down near Gatwick Airport, Surrey. He invited me to stay with him at his place in Horley. Suddenly, a whole new world opened up to me. The term, Social life took on a whole new meaning and the variety of characters I encountered left me thinking I had ended up in a very enjoyable BBC film production.
I hung around there just over one year. Eventually, I returned to Melbourne to do some thinking; to stay or sell up and return. Both my parents and my two brothers also lived in Melbourne so the decision was a little complicated. Then I gradually became aware of being confronted with an odd reaction from some of my expat friends. I was always aware that saying anything nice about the old country seemed to annoy the Australians slightly but I soon noticed an even greater reaction from my expat mates. This odd behaviour eventually took its toll.
I made a couple of other visits back to the UK just to make sure that it wasn’t just a one of experience. Eventually, in 1985, I sold up and bought a flat in Hove, Sussex. Unfortunately, employment was pretty bad at that time. However, I did manage to get a seasonal job as a grounds man at Roedean School for girls, much to the amusement of my mates. The following 5 years were the most memorable in my whole life. I’m now convinced that making friends in England is a whole lot easier than Australia.
However, things started going wrong. In 1992, I had to sell up to help out with some family problems and made the mistake of going back to Australia. I am now retired and intend to move back to my homeland to spend the rest of my life, no matter what.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:13 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
I lived in South Africa for eight years and can understand why you would miss being there. It is, without a doubt, the most beautiful country I have ever seen. However, at least you have had the experience of living in another country which is a great experience for anyone and emmigration need not be forever. Diversity is what makes the World interesting and it is a good job that all of these countries are not the same - yet.
I agree totally. I may of gone from Canada to the UK and now Ireland but life has been so interesting. Always felt sorry for my friends who got married in their early 20's, bought a house, had kids, and now are completely bored going into their 40's. We intend to retire back to Canada in 10 years and thats something else to look forward to.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:37 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Willscot
I immigrated to Australia in 1965 with my newly wedded wife; we are both Scots. After we parted some 10 years later, I enrolled in a Drama School in Melbourne. I was told quite frankly that I would not get any work in Australia with a Scottish accent so I spent the first year taking elocution lessons along with the drama exercises. I ended up sounding more English than the English. Suddenly, the Australian film industry took on an attitude against all British accents.
In 1980, I decided to pay a visit to the UK calling in on relatives. At first, I wasn’t too impressed with the cold March weather and the dreary council housing estates with their grey drab looking pebble dash walls. However, just by chance, I happened to drop in on one of my cousins who worked as an airline pilot down near Gatwick Airport, Surrey. He invited me to stay with him at his place in Horley. Suddenly, a whole new world opened up to me. The term, Social life took on a whole new meaning and the variety of characters I encountered left me thinking I had ended up in a very enjoyable BBC film production.
I hung around there just over one year. Eventually, I returned to Melbourne to do some thinking; to stay or sell up and return. Both my parents and my two brothers also lived in Melbourne so the decision was a little complicated. Then I gradually became aware of being confronted with an odd reaction from some of my expat friends. I was always aware that saying anything nice about the old country seemed to annoy the Australians slightly but I soon noticed an even greater reaction from my expat mates. This odd behaviour eventually took its toll.
I made a couple of other visits back to the UK just to make sure that it wasn’t just a one of experience. Eventually, in 1985, I sold up and bought a flat in Hove, Sussex. Unfortunately, employment was pretty bad at that time. However, I did manage to get a seasonal job as a grounds man at Roedean School for girls, much to the amusement of my mates. The following 5 years were the most memorable in my whole life. I’m now convinced that making friends in England is a whole lot easier than Australia.
However, things started going wrong. In 1992, I had to sell up to help out with some family problems and made the mistake of going back to Australia. I am now retired and intend to move back to my homeland to spend the rest of my life, no matter what.
What an interesting account. Love your open minded, optimistic approach.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mary1967UK
When you get back to the UK, if you get a job for more than 16 hours a week, you'll be classed as a single parent until your hubby returns and be entitled to tax credit.
Are you sure? She is still married