Reload this Page >

What made you leave the UK?

What made you leave the UK?

Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:50 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What made you leave the UK?

Originally Posted by Coda
(Warning - what follows is bound to upset those moving back to the UK, please skip to next thread )

Moved overseas because I was over the way of life in England, which had become a daily grind, eeking out a living on the rat-wheel. Every week after the 2 hour commute, 5 days a week, I had no money after i'd paid all my bills. The weather sucks. It's expensive. Overcrowded. Pathetic class system.

And it's boring. I hear people dribbling on about the pub culture all the time. Yeah, so what? Go and sit in a dingy pub, with dingy wall-paper, a group of regulars "characters", who are just pathetic losers, false camaraderie, and bad food, so you can get plastered to forget what a shitty life you lead....

Why the **** would I want to base my life on 'pub culture'?

If you're not in the pub, you're stuck in front of the goggle-box watching Eastenders, Emmerdale, Biig brother et al. Screwy weird place, England.

Personally, prefer having a bbq with a group of mates, outside in the sunshine. A few cool tunes, and being able to smoke as well.

Basically, I moved overseas to escape the UK and everything it stood for. And to my dismay, still does!

As a class warrior, most of my family are from mining communities in the North of England, and I have never forgiven that crazy old ****er, Thatcher, and her group of sycophantic arse wipes for what she did to this country.

Some people say : "Let it go....". Never! Im glad she's got alzheimers!
Actually, your post has managed to annoy someone very happy with life in Aus. Your suggestion that all there is to life in the UK is pub culture is, at the least, crap. I love my life in Australia but the UK is far from "done" as you suggest.
A more balanced view would be received with interest, but until then, I , along with most on this forum will view your posts as flaming.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:00 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice
Wink Re: What made you leave the UK?

Originally Posted by kporte
Actually, your post has managed to annoy someone very happy with life in Aus. Your suggestion that all there is to life in the UK is pub culture is, at the least, crap. I love my life in Australia but the UK is far from "done" as you suggest.
A more balanced view would be received with interest, but until then, I , along with most on this forum will view your posts as flaming.
Flaming? Nah, just stating some facts.

I understand the nature of this particular sub-group within BE, which is that if you slag off wherever you are currently living (balance not needed at all) then you will be "one of the enlightened ones" and held close to the collective bosom of discontentment, misery seeks company as they say, however, if you dare to speak the truth, (yes it's my truth, I can't speak for anyone else), if you dare to criticise precious England (exercising your right to impart personal information and recieve personal information as determined under the freedom of information act) then you will be labelled a troll and flamer.

Why? Because my posts, as harsh as they are, do not tell people what they eagerly need to hear. That all is rosy in the UK.

I understand it. I've noticed how many of the posters who accuse me of lacking balance post shite about their adopted countries. Pure hypocrisy. At least im honest and transparent about it!

For example I read one of the posters who is moving back here give an account of the gold coast being full of criminals....hmm, really balanced.

Then instead of defending the point of view offered...nah, let's just personally attack the person offering the observations in the first place. Gutter politics at it's finest.

Or, accuse you of ranting. Either way, nice avoidance strategums.

Last edited by Coda; Feb 24th 2009 at 10:02 am.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:15 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

But you're only posting harsh things about the UK.
Most of the posts I have read from folks in other countries try to see both the good things and the bad things.

So far it seems that you have only seen bad and more bad.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:31 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Most of the posts I have read from folks in other countries try to see both the good things and the bad things.

The media is great (it's where I get most of my informed opinions from ). I know people bash the media here, but it is the best in the world. Unlike other places around the world we have a free press which is not afraid to criticise the country. Compare the media here to OZ. No comparison! Look at how the Guardian did an investigative piece into FTSE 100 companies not paying much (if any) tax. That wouldn't happen in NZ/OZ. TV is superb here. I enjoy watching the premiership. My family are much closer now. I like that the UK is close to so many different parts of the world, and it's relatively cheap to fly. I can be in France in under 2 hours from London. The welfare system is great (but not unique) as is the justice system, and perhaps most importantly we live in a democracy.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

"If I were a Londoner rich with complaint...."
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:57 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

google is your friend!
OK so he might delay his deportation if he appeals to the ECHR - but it's not like the UK government isn't trying to get rid of him
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point

The media is great (it's where I get most of my informed opinions from ). I know people bash the media here, but it is the best in the world. Unlike other places around the world we have a free press which is not afraid to criticise the country. Compare the media here to OZ. No comparison! Look at how the Guardian did an investigative piece into FTSE 100 companies not paying much (if any) tax. That wouldn't happen in NZ/OZ. TV is superb here. I enjoy watching the premiership. My family are much closer now. I like that the UK is close to so many different parts of the world, and it's relatively cheap to fly. I can be in France in under 2 hours from London. The welfare system is great (but not unique) as is the justice system, and perhaps most importantly we live in a democracy.
This is very true; the media in the UK is more than willing to get stuck into the country whenever it deserves it, and when it doesn't! In Aus, the media is never negative about the country and it's people; if anything it is always being super-positive and praising. It's a very different animal.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Nicw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandergirl
I didn't actually want to leave the UK, just so happened my husband is Australian. After 11 good years in Aus I strongly want to live in my own country again for family and friends but also so I can see more of the UK and Europe than 4 weeks every second or third year gives me.

I can see the good and bad in both countries but at the end of the day Aus is too far away from most of the people I care about.

As for going back things will not be that different, I was only there in the UK a few weeks ago, I expect that I will still work in the exact same job there as in Aus, live in a house, drive a car etc etc just like I do here. It's not like I am going back to live like a character in a Charles Dickens novel.

Yes there is a recession, but there was one in the 90s when I emigrated to Aus. Here in Aus the recession is starting to bite as well with job vacancies dropping and real estate market in major slowdown.
I agree with most of what Islandergirl has said and I especially like the reference to "... like a character in a Charles Dickens novel" good one. Since leaving the UK in 1995 for work reasons I've lived in Australia, NZ, Ghana & Thailand, mostly with work assignments. I must admit I do have memories of not being very well off in my early career days in the UK but it's all relative. My wife is Australian and I have called Australia home for at least 7 years now. Next month I am returning to the UK to start a new job after 2 months out of work here. Had I found work here I probably wouldn't have left Australia as it's a fantastic place to live. However, seeing the best in everything, I see this as an opportunity for a change and having spent many years away and also being a little older (30 something) I will likely appreciate the UK & Europe for it's history & diverse culture and will be living a different lifestyle to that when I was growing up in the UK.

I am also looking forward to catching up with family, friends and most of all I will be seeing UK/Europe through different eyes. The world is too big and too wonderful to spend too long in one place and I always manage to see the good in every place I live no matter how tough everyday life has been. As life's river passes us by it's up to each of us to choose whether to take out the good things or the bad. Australia is my new home but a couple of years in UK will ensure my life continues along the adventurous path I have chosen. Everyone should follow their dreams - even when others think they are wrong.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I left England back in 1984 for the US. My story might be different than most folks. Brother and I were raised in a children's home. When Home closed in 1983 I felt very lonely. All my life had been surrounded by many people and then literally like a Dickens novel - on the doorstep with suitcase looking around wondering what the hell to do next? Got a job, enjoyed the pubs etc. but at age 22 thought had to be bit more than this to life..My dad was American - hadn't seem him for years. So came to US. It has been a double edged sword. Love the country, its vastness and beauty, the opportunties that abound here (not in current economic climate) BUT I still miss England. I love its beauty and its people but I do know things have changed. I have closer ties in England than I do in US even after 25 years here. Anyway that's my 2 cents - I am not really at home in US nor am I in England when I return. I do think will return to UK one day though..
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:44 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Riosangel, I'm wondering what you're thinking after this thread's wound its way around. Has it been useful to you? Want to share?

Bev
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What made you leave the UK?

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Grew up in SA left for the UK with OH, spent 10 yrs in Kent, returned last yr due to OH longing for family. For all thats good about SA, I miss the gentleness and inherent respect most (decent) brits had for each other. I could bbq from April to Oct, even did a turkey on the weber one christmas, outside in the snow. Fishing was 10mins away. London 40mins on the train, and I could get lost walking thro the history of London, until my feet burnt/ached. Sunday lunch shoot down to Hastings for fish and chips on the beach, fri afternoon pack the overnight and be in Edinburgh 9 hrs later thro magnificent scenery. 70GBP and weekend in Ireland(enchanting), France or Switzerland or Italy. Spend the winters painting a few pics and exhibiting each Nov. Made friends with Brits that I'll be friends with to the grave. Walks in the countryside that equal anywhere in the world. I could go on. Negatives. Restaurant culture/service poor to middling. Brits depend heavily on their diaries, so spontaneous visits difficult. London run by 25 yr old recruitment people who know less than squat. Company managers that are more concerned about keeping their backsides protected than doing their jobs. Lazy/non working slobs that live off the system and don't feel embarrassed about it. Binge drinkers. Tough place to start/run a business, tho banking system brilliant. I could go on.
End result - now returning to buy a river boat and live on the Thames, cook and do tours for selected visitors.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Candy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bevm
We've been in Canada for 30 years. It's not a bad place and we've enjoyed a lot of it or we wouldn't have stayed, but I don't see how it's better than the best places in the UK. A person could leave a crowded city in the UK and move to a more rural place in Canada, and that'd probably be an improvement, but moving from most cities to certain parts of Toronto wouldn't. However, it's probably cheaper to move to a rural place in Canada than to a rural place in Britain.

There's a lot of space here, but it's mostly far, far away from other stuff, so you'd better really like the space!

We've moved around in Canada, and the last move was to get to the sea and away from winter. Remember, 5 months of it! But now even Victoria, which is one of the world's beautiful places and has an English climate, isn't enough. We want to be close to a lot of different stuff, including Europe, and among people who speak the same language/understand the same social stuff. After 30 years, we still feel slightly like aliens. We can do it, but it's still different.

It's important to realize that even though it's a Commonwealth country that mostly speaks English, it's foreign. It's different. You have to be prepared to become different in order to fit in here.

But, we're Canadian citizens, and can always move back. Not burning any boats!

Where do you dream of living, and why?

Bev
I thought I was the only one who felt this way - after all these years of living here - I still feel I do not belong.
Moved here with ex - I can't explain why I stayed at the time - eventually remarried -but now I know it is time to go back home
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Sandra1 will become famous soon enough

I am planning on returning to the UK within a year or two. I have been in the US (and have dual citizenship) for over 40 years. I left by myself during my teens simply to investigate if the grass is indeed greener on the other side of the hill. For the first three years I lived in San Francisco and then moved to New York, where I've been living for 40 years. Of course, I suffered the usual pangs of home sickness but over the years that diminished but never completely faded as my family remained in the UK. I have a really good life, great friends and fabulous job (I live and work in Manhattan). Now I'm readying for retirement there are factors that are crucial in the decision on returning to the UK. The older I get the more important my family is to me and I would like to spend my retirement years with them. The other issue that is also a vital deciding factor and that is hospital and medical coverage. Although Obama may be moving in the right direction, I think universal health coverage will be a while in coming, so having the NHS in UK is a comforting safety net.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sandra1
The older I get the more important my family is to me and I would like to spend my retirement years with them. The other issue that is also a vital deciding factor and that is hospital and medical coverage. Although Obama may be moving in the right direction, I think universal health coverage will be a while in coming, so having the NHS in UK is a comforting safety net.
This is the very reason why my dad (an American) would never return to the US. He's retired now in the UK and has lived there just over half of his life. Aside from family in the UK (me (though I'm currently in the USA) and my brother and my step-family) - he would never consider moving back purely because he would not be able to afford health care.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Candy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sandra1
I am planning on returning to the UK within a year or two. I have been in the US (and have dual citizenship) for over 40 years. I left by myself during my teens simply to investigate if the grass is indeed greener on the other side of the hill. For the first three years I lived in San Francisco and then moved to New York, where I've been living for 40 years. Of course, I suffered the usual pangs of home sickness but over the years that diminished but never completely faded as my family remained in the UK. I have a really good life, great friends and fabulous job (I live and work in Manhattan). Now I'm readying for retirement there are factors that are crucial in the decision on returning to the UK. The older I get the more important my family is to me and I would like to spend my retirement years with them. The other issue that is also a vital deciding factor and that is hospital and medical coverage. Although Obama may be moving in the right direction, I think universal health coverage will be a while in coming, so having the NHS in UK is a comforting safety net.
Hello there Sandra,

I too am looking into going back home after 29yrs in the next couple years - still have a few more years to retirement
It is great to hear other people in a similar situation - Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.