Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What made you leave the UK?

What made you leave the UK?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:34 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you leave the UK?

Originally Posted by Coda
Then of course there is the muslim cleric, Abu Qatada, with links to Al-Qaida and Osama bin Laden, who is now being allowed to stay in the UK.
unless you can show me more recent links to the contrary, no he isn't

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7896457.stm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...an_Be_Deported
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:37 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

It's a widely accepted psychological phenomena, cognitive dissonance, which states that given the option between two equally attractive propositions, the purchaser (in this case all those who want to come back to, or leave, the UK) will look for the things which confirm their viewpoints - regardless really of whether or not they are accurate - and deny, or diminish, any other viewpoints which detract from the strength of their argument, and hence from making a decision.

Psych 101!

Basically, we're all in some kind of denial.
I thought that the real point of cognitive dissonance was that the more we feel we've sacrificed for something, the more we'll believe in it. We see it, I think, when people who've made the huge and dislocating move to emigrate are slow to admit it hasn't worked for them and reverse it. And why some, not all, emigrants get over-the-top about other people returning to their native land. It's threatening their bargain with themselves about staying -- that it's worth the pain. Note, I said some. Lots of emigrants love their move and can't understand why others don't. But they rarely get angry. Why should they? It's not hurting them.

Also, the longer we put up with pain and/or loss, the more we have to believe it's worth it. That's the one some people can't handle. It's why people who've been scammed for money keep paying, even as the sums get huge. Not to pay admits they've been taken and lost the money and that's intolerable to them.

So, Coda, given how angry you've been on two threads thus far, what threatens you about people who like the UK and/or want to return there? What cognitive dissonance of yours does it attack?

The obvious one to an outsider is that giving up your own place and culture is worth it when there's sun and a classless society to be had. That you made the right decision to leave, and the wrong decision to return. (BTW, I don't believe it for a moment. The US has a huge class system, which is very rigid in places, so I expect Australia does, too.)

And, on a practical point, as you come from the north, why not live there? You'd be free of the hassles of London and your horrible landlady, and among people more in tune with parts of you, I think. And as you're not doing well work-wise, that'd be no different.

Or, if Australia is really your thing, just go. You've said elsewhere you don't have much stuff. Get the cheapest flight possible, work low-pay jobs as you get things together again there, and get rid of all this anger that's on your back.

Bev
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riosangel
I only usually go on the Canada forum but came on here just out of curiousity really. Anyway I was surprised at how many people were returning to the UK and just wondered what was the reason for leaving in the first place and what do you think will be better about that when you return? I am not having a go here by the way as I think it is a brave person who can emigrate and admit that it was not for them and move back.
England will not be different but my attitude will. (I didn't hate it at all but just found life a bit dull).
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:38 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I thought that the real point of cognitive dissonance was that the more we feel we've sacrificed for something, the more we'll believe in it. We see it, I think, when people who've made the huge and dislocating move to emigrate are slow to admit it hasn't worked for them and reverse it. And why some, not all, emigrants get over-the-top about other people returning to their native land. It's threatening their bargain with themselves about staying -- that it's worth the pain. Note, I said some. Lots of emigrants love their move and can't understand why others don't. But they rarely get angry. Why should they? It's not hurting them.

Also, the longer we put up with pain and/or loss, the more we have to believe it's worth it. That's the one some people can't handle. It's why people who've been scammed for money keep paying, even as the sums get huge. Not to pay admits they've been taken and lost the money and that's intolerable to them.

So, Coda, given how angry you've been on two threads thus far, what threatens you about people who like the UK and/or want to return there? What cognitive dissonance of yours does it attack?

The obvious one to an outsider is that giving up your own place and culture is worth it when there's sun and a classless society to be had. That you made the right decision to leave, and the wrong decision to return. (BTW, I don't believe it for a moment. The US has a huge class system, which is very rigid in places, so I expect Australia does, too.)

And, on a practical point, as you come from the north, why not live there? You'd be free of the hassles of London and your horrible landlady, and among people more in tune with parts of you, I think. And as you're not doing well work-wise, that'd be no different.

Or, if Australia is really your thing, just go. You've said elsewhere you don't have much stuff. Get the cheapest flight possible, work low-pay jobs as you get things together again there, and get rid of all this anger that's on your back.

Bev

Nice one Bev.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:48 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Talk to the hand, buddy.

And you're wrong. The UK is bloody lucky to have someone like me. If there were more people in the UK like me, it would be perfect!

a) I work and pay my taxes (Unlike most of the UK's corporations who don't pay jack shit in taxes because they know all the offshore banking loop holes)
b) I am well educated
c) I have never been involved in serious crime
d) I respect my elders
e) I don't beat the shit out of my kids
f) I don't take drugs
g) I take care of the environment.
h) I work in a field which puts something back into the community.
i) I am not a banker, estate agent, corporate whore, recruitment agent, or work in marketing, sales or other unethical areas. (Now there is a group of people who need to be exiled asap)
j) I care for my fellow citizens
k) I am not a fundametalist muslim nutter intent on terror.

In most ways I am a model citizen!

Of course I have a few faults....
Yeah, but have you worked out what sex you are yet?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Yeah, but have you worked out what sex you are yet?
Or whether you are a New Zealander or not.....or whether you have lived in Australia or not, despite not knowing how to get a visa.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Cedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the rough

It's a widely accepted psychological phenomena, cognitive dissonance, which states that given the option between two equally attractive propositions, the purchaser (in this case all those who want to come back to, or leave, the UK) will look for the things which confirm their viewpoints - regardless really of whether or not they are accurate - and deny, or diminish, any other viewpoints which detract from the strength of their argument, and hence from making a decision.

Psych 101!

Basically, we're all in some kind of denial.
I'm glad you said "we"!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:31 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

(Warning - what follows is bound to upset those moving back to the UK, please skip to next thread )

Moved overseas because I was over the way of life in England, which had become a daily grind, eeking out a living on the rat-wheel. Every week after the 2 hour commute, 5 days a week, I had no money after i'd paid all my bills. The weather sucks. It's expensive. Overcrowded. Pathetic class system.

And it's boring. I hear people dribbling on about the pub culture all the time. Yeah, so what? Go and sit in a dingy pub, with dingy wall-paper, a group of regulars "characters", who are just pathetic losers, false camaraderie, and bad food, so you can get plastered to forget what a shitty life you lead....

Why the **** would I want to base my life on 'pub culture'?

If you're not in the pub, you're stuck in front of the goggle-box watching Eastenders, Emmerdale, Biig brother et al. Screwy weird place, England.

Personally, prefer having a bbq with a group of mates, outside in the sunshine. A few cool tunes, and being able to smoke as well.

Basically, I moved overseas to escape the UK and everything it stood for. And to my dismay, still does!

As a class warrior, most of my family are from mining communities in the North of England, and I have never forgiven that crazy old ****er, Thatcher, and her group of sycophantic arse wipes for what she did to this country.

Some people say : "Let it go....". Never! Im glad she's got alzheimers!
Funny I agree with alot of this until the end, and for me it was Blair and Brown that drove one of the final nails in the coffin.

I'm sad Maggie Thatcher as alzheimers I wouldn't be happy for anyone to get it.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Funny I agree with alot of this until the end, and for me it was Blair and Brown that drove one of the final nails in the coffin.

I can only hope Coda gets alzheimers. It will put both her and the rest of us out her misery because she won't be able to remember her way back to this otherwise pleasant forum.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Cedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the rough

I can only hope Coda gets alzheimers. It will put both her and the rest of us out her misery because she won't be able to remember her way back to this otherwise pleasant forum.
I wouldn't wish Alzheimers on anyone, I'd be too afraid my wish would come back to bite me!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules

I don't think it's official that she has Alzheimer's, only some form of dementia.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Cedar
I wouldn't wish Alzheimers on anyone, I'd be too afraid my wish would come back to bite me!
Normally, I wouldn't wish such a thing either but we're not dealing with normal at the moment.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:34 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
Or whether you are a New Zealander or not.....or whether you have lived in Australia or not, despite not knowing how to get a visa.
Nice pic.

Actually, I would like to apologise for my comments about The Iron Lady, Margaret thatcher.It wasn't right when I said that "Im glad she has Alzheimers".
To all those people who obviously got very upset, with what I considered a throw-a-away comment, please accept my apologies.

Cheers!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:44 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfman
unless you can show me more recent links to the contrary, no he isn't

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7896457.stm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...an_Be_Deported
google is your friend!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:45 pm
Banned

That made me laugh. Cheers for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.