Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What made you leave the UK?

What made you leave the UK?

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What made you leave the UK?

Originally Posted by Coda
(Warning - what follows is bound to upset those moving back to the UK, please skip to next thread )

Moved overseas because I was over the way of life in England, which had become a daily grind, eeking out a living on the rat-wheel. Every week after the 2 hour commute, 5 days a week, I had no money after i'd paid all my bills. The weather sucks. It's expensive. Overcrowded. Pathetic class system.

And it's boring. I hear people dribbling on about the pub culture all the time. Yeah, so what? Go and sit in a dingy pub, with dingy wall-paper, a group of regulars "characters", who are just pathetic losers, false camaraderie, and bad food, so you can get plastered to forget what a shitty life you lead....

Why the **** would I want to base my life on 'pub culture'?

If you're not in the pub, you're stuck in front of the goggle-box watching
Eastenders, Emmerdale, Biig brother et al. Screwy weird place, England.

Personally, prefer having a bbq with a group of mates, outside in the sunshine. A few cool tunes, and being able to smoke as well.

Basically, I moved overseas to escape the UK and everything it stood for. And to my dismay, still does!

As a class warrior, most of my family are from mining communities in the North of England, and I have never forgiven that crazy old ****er, Thatcher, and her group of sycophantic arse wipes for what she did to this country.

Some people say : "Let it go....". Never! Im glad she's got alzheimers!:thumbup:

I'm glad you won't be in England when I return with that attitude. The UK will be well shot of you.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:41 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by stm1971
I'm glad you won't be in England when I return with that attitude. The UK will be well shot of you.
Talk to the hand, buddy.

And you're wrong. The UK is bloody lucky to have someone like me. If there were more people in the UK like me, it would be perfect!

a) I work and pay my taxes (Unlike most of the UK's corporations who don't pay jack shit in taxes because they know all the offshore banking loop holes)
b) I am well educated
c) I have never been involved in serious crime
d) I respect my elders
e) I don't beat the shit out of my kids
f) I don't take drugs
g) I take care of the environment.
h) I work in a field which puts something back into the community.
i) I am not a banker, estate agent, corporate whore, recruitment agent, or work in marketing, sales or other unethical areas. (Now there is a group of people who need to be exiled asap)
j) I care for my fellow citizens
k) I am not a fundametalist muslim nutter intent on terror.

In most ways I am a model citizen!

Of course I have a few faults....
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Talk to the hand, buddy.

And you're wrong. The UK is bloody lucky to have someone like me. If there were more people in the UK like me, it would be perfect!

a) I work and pay my taxes (Unlike most of the UK's corporations who don't pay jack shit in taxes because they know all the offshore banking loop holes)
b) I am well educated
d) I respect my elders
f) I don't take drugs
i) I am not a banker, estate agent, corporate whore, recruitment agent, or work in marketing, sales or other unethical areas. (Now there is a group of people who need to be exiled asap)

Well, what a wonderful specimen of the human race you are!

I'm sure whatever country you decide to make your home will be grateful to
have you.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:04 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by stm1971
Well, what a wonderful specimen of the human race you are!

I'm sure whatever country you decide to make your home will be grateful to
have you.
Oh, yeah forgot something else which is going pear-shaped in the UK. Freedom of Speech.

One recent examples. Geert Wilders, who wasn't allowed into England because apparently if I were to hear what he has to say I would go on a killing spree or something... Never mind that I can access his video on U-tube if I wanted to.

As the Guardian newspaper has noted, it was a complete defeat for freedom of expression.

Then of course there is the muslim cleric, Abu Qatada, with links to Al-Qaida and Osama bin Laden, who is now being allowed to stay in the UK. And what he has to say isn't as dangerous?

No doubt the government will sort him out with a new council house.

Speaking of council houses, there are people living in London who are unemployed who live in million pound rentals in places like Mayfair, Kensington, etc, because the council has no other suitable accommodation for them.

Yep, the UK is a truly wonderful place!

:-)

Last edited by Coda; Feb 22nd 2009 at 9:09 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:45 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Oh, yeah forgot something else which is going pear-shaped in the UK. Freedom of Speech.

One recent examples. Geert Wilders, who wasn't allowed into England because apparently if I were to hear what he has to say I would go on a killing spree or something... Never mind that I can access his video on U-tube if I wanted to.

As the Guardian newspaper has noted, it was a complete defeat for freedom of expression.

Then of course there is the muslim cleric, Abu Qatada, with links to Al-Qaida and Osama bin Laden, who is now being allowed to stay in the UK. And what he has to say isn't as dangerous?

Speaking of council houses, there are people living in London who are unemployed who live in million pound rentals in places like Mayfair, Kensington, etc, because the council has no other suitable accommodation for them.

Here we go again I thought you got all this out of your system on the last tread.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Here we go again I thought you got all this out of your system on the last tread.
and so did I ...................
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:36 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

I left the uk when i was 24. Got stuck in a bit of a rut & just fancied the change. Initially it was a six month working holiday but i stayed and that was nearly 11 years ago. Like a lot of people i never thought it was forever but the time passes so fast. I know the uk has changed a lot in the time i have been away but there are some things that are just the same and i look forward to seeing some of them things when we eventually return.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:48 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

If you're not in the pub, you're stuck in front of the goggle-box watching Eastenders, Emmerdale, Biig brother et al. Screwy weird place, England.

Personally, prefer having a bbq with a group of mates, outside in the sunshine. A few cool tunes, and being able to smoke as well.

Basically, I moved overseas to escape the UK and everything it stood for. And to my dismay, still does!

As a class warrior, most of my family are from mining communities in the North of England, and I have never forgiven that crazy old ****er, Thatcher, and her group of sycophantic arse wipes for what she did to this country.

Some people say : "Let it go....". Never! Im glad she's got alzheimers!
while I would agree with you about Thatcher, the notion that the only things to do in the UK are go to the pub or watch soaps on the box just shows a distinct lack of imagination on your part.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfman
while I would agree with you about Thatcher, the notion that the only things to do in the UK are go to the pub or watch soaps on the box just shows a distinct lack of imagination on your part.
Has anyone forgiven Thatcher??

Would we have such a financial and housing crisis if the old witch hadn't sold off half of the council houses just in time for the 1992 recession?

okay, rant off.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by elfman
It's a widely accepted psychological phenomena, cognitive dissonance, which states that given the option between two equally attractive propositions, the purchaser (in this case all those who want to come back to, or leave, the UK) will look for the things which confirm their viewpoints - regardless really of whether or not they are accurate - and deny, or diminish, any other viewpoints which detract from the strength of their argument, and hence from making a decision.

Psych 101!

Basically, we're all in some kind of denial.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

It's a widely accepted psychological phenomena, cognitive dissonance, which states that given the option between two equally attractive propositions, the purchaser (in this case all those who want to come back to, or leave, the UK) will look for the things which confirm their viewpoints - regardless really of whether or not they are accurate - and deny, or diminish, any other viewpoints which detract from the strength of their argument, and hence from making a decision.

Psych 101!

Basically, we're all in some kind of denial.
I agree with this and I am forever 'checking myself' for fear of making a bad decision by 'kidding myself' into a postulated future that may not be reality. I hope I am making sense.
I do read some threads on here (in all the forums, not just mbttuk), and you can see very clearly that some people are just kidding themselves. I really hope DH and I can avoid this by learning from past mistakes, being 100% honest and keeping the coffee pot well within smelling distance . Our return to the UK last year provided us with a shock big enough to make us immediately ping-pong back to the states - an action that we never envisaged. This time we will return with caution. I've said this before and for us it remains true that it is definately easier to leave the UK than to return to it.

p.s. We left the UK because an old green card application came through so we thought 'hey why not?' We worked the 8.30 - 5.30 in London and did the 2 - 3hrs daily commute for years. We didn't dislike the UK, we just wanted to have something better. I have a cousin though, that has left the UK this month (her, her husband and their 4 kids). They received a job offer in Brisbane and couldn't wait to get out of England.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:46 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Talk to the hand, buddy.

b) I am well educated
d) I respect my elders
f) I don't take drugs

From the way you phrase your responses, the lack of perspective and the rant content about companies not paying their tax, Muslim nutters, foreigners getting council houses (etc), tends to point to you NOT being well educated and having sourced your views from the Daily Mail/Sun.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
From the way you phrase your responses, the lack of perspective and the rant content about companies not paying their tax, Muslim nutters, foreigners getting council houses (etc), tends to point to you NOT being well educated and having sourced your views from the Daily Mail/Sun.
Actually, I got my "tax rant" from a piece written by the Guardian. Check it out, buddy, and then come back here to apologise to me.

Tesco, for example, only paid 18% tax on 9.58 million.
British energy group paid 0% tax on 1.993 million profit....
BAE (the war mongers) only paid 7% tax.

Hmmm, wish I could get away with that! As the Guardian noted : "Like the credit boom, the tax-avoidance game represents the triumph of technical proficiency over social responsibility".

yeah, im dead thick I am.

Last edited by Coda; Feb 23rd 2009 at 4:01 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:02 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame that another thread seems to be turning into something of a more personal and singular rant.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:11 am
Family man

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
It's a shame that another thread seems to be turning into something of a more personal and singular rant.
I agree.

Coda, Why do you insist on comming on here and ranting about how shit the uk is? We all know you want to (and are) leaving. Thanks for your input but please let others get on with their thread and stop bringing everything and everyone down. I used to feel i could post almost anything on here but with the likes of you around i feel like going somewhere else.:curse:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.