Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What made you leave the UK?

What made you leave the UK?

Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Cedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What made you leave the UK?

Originally Posted by Bevm
We've been in Canada for 30 years. It's not a bad place and we've enjoyed a lot of it or we wouldn't have stayed, but I don't see how it's better than the best places in the UK. A person could leave a crowded city in the UK and move to a more rural place in Canada, and that'd probably be an improvement, but moving from most cities to certain parts of Toronto wouldn't. However, it's probably cheaper to move to a rural place in Canada than to a rural place in Britain.

There's a lot of space here, but it's mostly far, far away from other stuff, so you'd better really like the space!

We've moved around in Canada, and the last move was to get to the sea and away from winter. Remember, 5 months of it! But now even Victoria, which is one of the world's beautiful places and has an English climate, isn't enough. We want to be close to a lot of different stuff, including Europe, and among people who speak the same language/understand the same social stuff. After 30 years, we still feel slightly like aliens. We can do it, but it's still different.

It's important to realize that even though it's a Commonwealth country that mostly speaks English, it's foreign. It's different. You have to be prepared to become different in order to fit in here.

But, we're Canadian citizens, and can always move back. Not burning any boats!

Where do you dream of living, and why?

Bev
I dream of living in the UK to be close to people who have a good sense of humour and don't feel the need to put others down to be funny. (Though I dare say there are some like that there) I know it isn't perfect, what country is, but it is more humane than Aus. in my opinion, and a lot more fun! I fit in immediately when I return to the UK on holiday.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Cedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the roughCedar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by quoll
It seemed like a good idea at the time!

We had already lived in PNG and UK (he Aus, me UK) and he got a good offer in Canberra so we came here and have sort of drifted along ever since. We certainly didnt expect for this to be "it" but it seems to have turned out that way. The only move DH would contemplate is out in the bush being self sufficient but having spent this last week in Gippsland that is NEVER going to happen (and it wasnt just the prospect of no flush loo or broadband either!).
Wish I had known you were going to be in Gippsland, perhaps we could have met. (What were you doing, fighting fires? That's the only reason I can think of that would cause someone to spend a week here.) We came because my husband got a job at the Uni here but I think we might have done better to go to Melbourne where there are a few Brits - none here that I know of. All the same we do have flush loos and broadband here
We came with a sense of adventure and because my partner got a good job offer, also we were told it was like the UK culturally, which turned out to be not quite accurate. Miss the UK sense of fun and belonging, too lonely here.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riosangel
Are you returning to the UK? You don't say.
I'm currently back in the UK 25 years after first leaving - check my profile for the details. The UK has changed so much since 1983 that my reasons for leaving in the first place no longer apply (except the job crisis thing, of course).
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bevm
We've been in Canada for 30 years. It's not a bad place and we've enjoyed a lot of it or we wouldn't have stayed, but I don't see how it's better than the best places in the UK. A person could leave a crowded city in the UK and move to a more rural place in Canada, and that'd probably be an improvement, but moving from most cities to certain parts of Toronto wouldn't. However, it's probably cheaper to move to a rural place in Canada than to a rural place in Britain.

There's a lot of space here, but it's mostly far, far away from other stuff, so you'd better really like the space!

We've moved around in Canada, and the last move was to get to the sea and away from winter. Remember, 5 months of it! But now even Victoria, which is one of the world's beautiful places and has an English climate, isn't enough. We want to be close to a lot of different stuff, including Europe, and among people who speak the same language/understand the same social stuff. After 30 years, we still feel slightly like aliens. We can do it, but it's still different.

It's important to realize that even though it's a Commonwealth country that mostly speaks English, it's foreign. It's different. You have to be prepared to become different in order to fit in here.

But, we're Canadian citizens, and can always move back. Not burning any boats!

Where do you dream of living, and why?

Bev

We have been thinking of moving to Canada after my husband finishes in the RAF. Nothing is definate yet, we have to do a recce and make sure that it would suit our children as the move would be hopefully to benefit them.
We don't live near any family in the UK and so have never had any family to fall back on if we have needed them, we have solely had to rely on friends in time of need so I really don't think missing family would be a big problem. It would be as quick for my mum to fly to Nova Scotia as it is to drive to see me now or visa versa. We just feel that the UK is over populated, we took our son to the cinema last week and there were at least 200 people in the queue, we didn't bother! People are ignorant (in the majority) and no, it isn't just the young people infact I think it is mainly the older generation. The weather doesn't really bother us although it would be nice to have a decent Summer once in a while, we rather like having four seasons, Australia does not appeal to us at all (I did go travelling there when I was younger) but Canada is getting more appealing. I don't have rose tinted glasses and we discussed if it is really a matter of the 'grass is always greener' but we don't think we have a lot to lose anyway and can always come back (if we do decide to go after a long recce).
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cedar
Wish I had known you were going to be in Gippsland, perhaps we could have met. (What were you doing, fighting fires? That's the only reason I can think of that would cause someone to spend a week here.) .
No, beyond fire fighting I'm afraid, I was helping out in the Recovery Centres.

Traralgon is a whole other placeand I wouldnt have been there from choice believe me. Hope you weathered the fires OK!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:15 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Just didn't enjoy life in the UK. Always working and commuting surrounded by, what i consider to be, people also not enjoying life. I like Britain, but from afar.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

I'm a dual-national by birth so have always felt that half of my life (including most of my family) was elsewhere. I don't see this as being a permanent "forever" move and know that I'm 'European' by nature so will eventually return. I guess this what I might call "the long way home", i.e. whenever I do eventually return to the UK, I'll be happier for it as I won't feel so torn having lived in the USA for a time.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus
the last 3 years here, but on the whole I know I've not been happy really and have constantly felt sort of 'lost' and 'misplaced'; a strange feeling to have day in, day out. It's not really unhappiness or being miserable it's a sort of feeling of slight disorientation that nags at you 24/7.
A perfect quote to sum up my husband, so you're not the only guy to feel like this.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:46 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Riosangel, you seem to have your head on straight about this. And you're thinking of Nova Scotia? It is lovely, and the people are great. It's where we started out. Moved for job reasons, but still love it. But winter lingers into May, and spring is gone in a blink.

I'm very unsure about Canada benefiting kids unless it's the only way you can get them away from a really rough part of the UK. It's not just the family thing. Ours missed out on that wider world view reasonably educated British kids get, with lots of travel to Europe and exposure to a wider world view, too. The educational system is not as good, IMO. It's slow with little or no streaming. People generally say that most students leave university here at about the same level as students leaving a good school in the UK. That's why they have to get a degree for most good jobs, and before going on to study law or medicine.

But, if any of you are seriously into hiking, fishing, boating and such, there are much better options here, especially for wilderness stuff. Lots of wilderness, but it's the real thing, complete with bugs and bears. Also, the sport obsession here is hockey. If you have boys and they're not into it, they can feel a bit left out. The other is baseball. But there's plenty of kids football -- soccer -- going on, too.

Were you going to a newly-out, very popular film? There'd be queues here, too. Try to visit and live where you'd live, doing what you'd be doing day-to-day. That's what we're doing shortly in reverse -- back in the UK. We thoroughly love our visits, traveling all around, but we want to pretend we're doing the ordinary stuff without the new scenery and excitement all the time. Watching TV, listening to the radio, reading the papers, going shopping, chatting to neighbours, all the really ordinary stuff.

Best wishes,

Bev
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Love
Ditto....
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Just didn't enjoy life in the UK. Always working and commuting surrounded by, what i consider to be, people also not enjoying life. I like Britain, but from afar.
Ditto...
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
No, beyond fire fighting I'm afraid, I was helping out in the Recovery Centres.

Traralgon is a whole other placeand I wouldnt have been there from choice believe me. Hope you weathered the fires OK!
We did, thanks. The Churchill fire was lit about a hundred yards behind our house (we're on the edge of a pine plantation) but the wind was blowing away from us, just as well, or a great many more people would have been affected. Terrible for the people who were.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I only usually go on the Canada forum but came on here just out of curiousity really. Anyway I was surprised at how many people were returning to the UK and just wondered what was the reason for leaving in the first place and what do you think will be better about that when you return? I am not having a go here by the way as I think it is a brave person who can emigrate and admit that it was not for them and move back.
Banged my head one morning and thought "lets' try Aus"...my, my, it was some "bang"......11 years later and hopefully soon to return home to good old Blighty...."don't what you got" etc,etc
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:40 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I'd finished my A Levels but didn't know whether to go to teacher training college, university or art college. So I decided that I'd get a job as nanny somewhere for a year.

My French was always very good at school but after a fairly miserable trial weekend with a fairly miserable family near Paris I refused that job and carried on looking.

There was an advert in the Yorskhire Post offering "fixed wage and own studio flat near Venice and Verona". I got the job. I didn't know any Italian apart from uno, due, tre and vafancu**. The family booked and paid for my flight. It was on April 1st.

I spent almost the whole flight trying in vain to hold back floods of tears as I didn't really want to arrive with red eyes and a blotchy face. Everyone else on the plane was in holiday mood for Easter. I felt sick!

The family were late picking me up at the airport which was more like a shack with lots of guards, guns and huge Alsatians. I had no coins for the pay phone.

On the drive back to their house I saw lots of paper fish stuck on the back of mopeds and doors etc. and I thought everyone here was downright crazy. I didn't know it was their April Fool thing.

That's how I ended up in Schio, a tiny town at the foot of mountains in Northern Italy and at least 1 hour away from both Venice and Verona.

It was 1990 and I was 19 and a half years old.

I'm still in Italy to this day and I have two young bilingual kids. I do however realise that living here is not such an enormous wrench or hardship as I can easily and fairly cheaply get back to the UK to see family and friends and every year somebody comes out to my house for a holiday.

You can however get sick of pasta and pizza !
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:20 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

I only usually go on the Canada forum but came on here just out of curiousity really. Anyway I was surprised at how many people were returning to the UK and just wondered what was the reason for leaving in the first place and what do you think will be better about that when you return? I am not having a go here by the way as I think it is a brave person who can emigrate and admit that it was not for them and move back.
(Warning - what follows is bound to upset those moving back to the UK, please skip to next thread )

Moved overseas because I was over the way of life in England, which had become a daily grind, eeking out a living on the rat-wheel. Every week after the 2 hour commute, 5 days a week, I had no money after i'd paid all my bills. The weather sucks. It's expensive. Overcrowded. Pathetic class system.

And it's boring. I hear people dribbling on about the pub culture all the time. Yeah, so what? Go and sit in a dingy pub, with dingy wall-paper, a group of regulars "characters", who are just pathetic losers, false camaraderie, and bad food, so you can get plastered to forget what a shitty life you lead....

Why the **** would I want to base my life on 'pub culture'?

If you're not in the pub, you're stuck in front of the goggle-box watching Eastenders, Emmerdale, Biig brother et al. Screwy weird place, England.

Personally, prefer having a bbq with a group of mates, outside in the sunshine. A few cool tunes, and being able to smoke as well.

Basically, I moved overseas to escape the UK and everything it stood for. And to my dismay, still does!

As a class warrior, most of my family are from mining communities in the North of England, and I have never forgiven that crazy old ****er, Thatcher, and her group of sycophantic arse wipes for what she did to this country.

Some people say : "Let it go....". Never! Im glad she's got alzheimers!

Last edited by Coda; Feb 22nd 2009 at 8:22 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.