Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What made you leave the UK?

What made you leave the UK?

Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough
Default What made you leave the UK?

I only usually go on the Canada forum but came on here just out of curiousity really. Anyway I was surprised at how many people were returning to the UK and just wondered what was the reason for leaving in the first place and what do you think will be better about that when you return? I am not having a go here by the way as I think it is a brave person who can emigrate and admit that it was not for them and move back.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:14 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you leave the UK?

Originally Posted by riosangel
I only usually go on the Canada forum but came on here just out of curiousity really. Anyway I was surprised at how many people were returning to the UK and just wondered what was the reason for leaving in the first place and what do you think will be better about that when you return? I am not having a go here by the way as I think it is a brave person who can emigrate and admit that it was not for them and move back.
No teaching jobs in the UK (falling birth rolls). Looking for adventure. Growing up in the UK sucked big time (personal circumstances more so than anything to do with the UK per se) and I wanted to escape.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dunroving
No teaching jobs in the UK (falling birth rolls). Looking for adventure. Growing up in the UK sucked big time (personal circumstances more so than anything to do with the UK per se) and I wanted to escape.
Are you returning to the UK? You don't say.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I didn't actually want to leave the UK, just so happened my husband is Australian. After 11 good years in Aus I strongly want to live in my own country again for family and friends but also so I can see more of the UK and Europe than 4 weeks every second or third year gives me.

I can see the good and bad in both countries but at the end of the day Aus is too far away from most of the people I care about.

As for going back things will not be that different, I was only there in the UK a few weeks ago, I expect that I will still work in the exact same job there as in Aus, live in a house, drive a car etc etc just like I do here. It's not like I am going back to live like a character in a Charles Dickens novel.

Yes there is a recession, but there was one in the 90s when I emigrated to Aus. Here in Aus the recession is starting to bite as well with job vacancies dropping and real estate market in major slowdown.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

My reasons for going back are similar to Islandergirl's. The people I care for most, are too far away and I want my children to be around the people who know and love them most.

We left because hubby had worked away during the week for three years, and we were stressed out emotionally and physically, and we couldn't "see the wood for the trees" anymore. Australia had always attracted us since hubby had lived in Sydney, and we decided that if the right job came up then we'd do a 12 month 'reccie'. Due to hubby's profession we could only give it 12 -18 months maximum to decide if we wanted to stay.

It's been a good learning curve for us, and has made us think about what's important in life. To me, life is about people not places, and Australia can't give us anything more or better than we could get back in England. It has taken this 'reccie' to able to see that. But, it's been great in that it has allowed us breathing space, and the time to sit back and reassess our lives. It's also given my 7 and 3 year old sons the experience of living somewhere different, which is a great gift. I lived in Malta for 3 years when I was 8, and I'm thankful for that.

We'll go back to our house, which we rented to friends, our cars and furniture are still there. Thankfully, hubby's profession isn't effected by recession so it won't be long before he works again, although this might take him out of the area again for a short time, but we'll be better prepared for that now. It won't be an easy ride back in England, and life will mostly be the same. But we'll be back home, where we and our children belong, slightly older and slightly wiser.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:53 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Love
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:55 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

We left the UK not because we were sick of it or anything like that but because my husband got a good job opportunity. We had always thought it would be nice to try and live in another country. So it was now or never.
We have since realsied that it is not for us and so I am returning to the UK in May with my children and my husband will follow in October. It's been a hard decision to make but the reasons for my return is the feeling of not belonging, loneliness and having no support from family and friends. I enjoyed my life back in the UK.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandergirl
I didn't actually want to leave the UK, just so happened my husband is Australian. After 11 good years in Aus I strongly want to live in my own country again for family and friends but also so I can see more of the UK and Europe than 4 weeks every second or third year gives me.

I can see the good and bad in both countries but at the end of the day Aus is too far away from most of the people I care about.

As for going back things will not be that different, I was only there in the UK a few weeks ago, I expect that I will still work in the exact same job there as in Aus, live in a house, drive a car etc etc just like I do here. It's not like I am going back to live like a character in a Charles Dickens novel.

Yes there is a recession, but there was one in the 90s when I emigrated to Aus. Here in Aus the recession is starting to bite as well with job vacancies dropping and real estate market in major slowdown.
I really relate to you here. I didn't really want to leave England either. After a visit to Melbourne with my Aussie wife it was clear she wanted to go home to live, at least for a while. I initially liked the idea myself; it seemed like a great place.....when I was on holiday there. When we got back to England I got cold feet on the idea but when I let on that I had basically changed my mind she blew her stack. So here I am.

It's been okay, the last 3 years here, but on the whole I know I've not been happy really and have constantly felt sort of 'lost' and 'misplaced'; a strange feeling to have day in, day out. It's not really unhappiness or being miserable it's a sort of feeling of slight disorientation that nags at you 24/7. I find myself desperate to be able to do the things/see the places I took for granted in the UK. It's frustration as much as anything; frustration that, when I read on Facebook about a few of my old mates meeting for a drink I can't join them. Stuff like that.

One odd thing (it seems) is that I'm the guy! It seems to often be the case that the blokes don't care where they are and it's the woman in the relationship that's homesick etc.

I guess I've learnt that I'm not as adventurous and bold as I'd like to be; I really do prefer to be somewhere familiar, somewhere that feels like 'home'. Australia isn't bad, it's fine, but it never feels right to me. I feel sort of detached and sometimes I feel that I'm not quite sure who I am anymore. England is clearly a big part of me, warts and all.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds strange, but sometimes I'm so desperate to be able to go to the Imperial War Museum (one of my favourite places in the world) that I get absurdly angry that I can't do it. The trouble is that I can't help but, at times at least, blame my wife for how I feel even though I know she hasn't really done anything wrong.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:51 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Canada for 30 years. It's not a bad place and we've enjoyed a lot of it or we wouldn't have stayed, but I don't see how it's better than the best places in the UK. A person could leave a crowded city in the UK and move to a more rural place in Canada, and that'd probably be an improvement, but moving from most cities to certain parts of Toronto wouldn't. However, it's probably cheaper to move to a rural place in Canada than to a rural place in Britain.

There's a lot of space here, but it's mostly far, far away from other stuff, so you'd better really like the space!

We've moved around in Canada, and the last move was to get to the sea and away from winter. Remember, 5 months of it! But now even Victoria, which is one of the world's beautiful places and has an English climate, isn't enough. We want to be close to a lot of different stuff, including Europe, and among people who speak the same language/understand the same social stuff. After 30 years, we still feel slightly like aliens. We can do it, but it's still different.

It's important to realize that even though it's a Commonwealth country that mostly speaks English, it's foreign. It's different. You have to be prepared to become different in order to fit in here.

But, we're Canadian citizens, and can always move back. Not burning any boats!

Where do you dream of living, and why?

Bev
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It seemed like a good idea at the time!

We had already lived in PNG and UK (he Aus, me UK) and he got a good offer in Canberra so we came here and have sort of drifted along ever since. We certainly didnt expect for this to be "it" but it seems to have turned out that way. The only move DH would contemplate is out in the bush being self sufficient but having spent this last week in Gippsland that is NEVER going to happen (and it wasnt just the prospect of no flush loo or broadband either!).
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by camponotus
It sounds strange, but sometimes I'm so desperate to be able to go to the Imperial War Museum (one of my favourite places in the world) that I get absurdly angry that I can't do it. The trouble is that I can't help but, at times at least, blame my wife for how I feel even though I know she hasn't really done anything wrong.
I know exactly what you mean. OH and were just saying the other day it would be great to go to a museum that you can spend the whole day it and not be in and out in under 2 hours. My favourite is the Natural History Museum.

We left for a few reasons. To experience living in another country, better lifestyle, more opportunities for our kids. I now realise that there would be better opportunities for my kids in England than here and I wouldn't say our lifestyle is better, just more laid back. I have enjoyed my time here but am hankering for a busier lifestyle now though.

Australia is nice but I don’t feel like I am actually “living” here. If feels like Groundhog Day every day here in Perth.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in the UK (Scotland), completed university and couldn't decide what to do next. I was young, with no responsibilities and looking for something different, had a chance to go to Hong Kong and took it. Got married, returned to the UK a few years later and couldn't settle, so we moved to SA (my mother is South African) nearly 30 years ago.

My wife went back to the UK a couple of years ago for various reasons, none of which concerned the crime situation. I went to visit last year, and again in December - January, and I'll probably return for good soon. When all's said and done, I am pretty much at home in SA and would probably prefer to stay here, but things are changing, I don't feel that strongly about it, and I'd rather be with my wife!

Last edited by MartynK; Feb 21st 2009 at 3:43 pm. Reason: error
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:20 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember St Georges Girl made a very honest reply in one thread (can't face trying to find it) saying that they got fully brainwashed by the UK negative media always saying how crap the UK was and how great Australia was and it was only when they left the UK and saw Aus as residents that they realised (that for them) it was a big lie.

(apologies St.GG for paraphrasing, or if it wasn't you)
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:51 pm
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point

I left because of financial reasons. My outgoings were greater than my income, and despite working my back side off for two years for my previous employer, I was constantly overlooked for promotions, and was undervalued. My wife had given birth to our first baby November 2008, and there were no jobs going back in the UK. An opportunity to work in Dubai came to me unexpectedly, and I decided to take it. I have left all my family back in the UK, but so far I am far from impressed with Dubai apart from the tax free income. I will be giving it another 6 months before deciding if i should go back to the UK or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.