Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What lenghts would you go to, to persuade a teenager to return to the UK with you?

What lenghts would you go to, to persuade a teenager to return to the UK with you?

Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What lenghts would you go to, to persuade a teenager to return to the UK with you

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
What a great post, I just read it out to my OH its exactly how I see it now!!! We are going to support her to stay even though my eldest has no respect for my OH and they actually have had a rocky relationship for about two years. Im trying to make him see that she has gotta get her own life, and I have mothered and spoilt her too much, she needs to get on, and with the support of some great friends here, I feel happier now about leaving her, your post has helped me a lot, I think we are doing the right thing leaving her here, if we took her back to UK she would resent me for the rest of our lives and we would be a bloody miserable family!!!
I'm really glad this was helpful, and I think you're definitely making the right decision. I adored my parents before this whole thing started, which is partially why I didn't buck harder against them when they laid down the law, but I definitely regretted being the good girl, and it really didn't help us as a family in the long run. I hope the rest of your move goes really well now that this is hopefully sorted. Congrats on selling the house by the way.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What lenghts would you go to, to persuade a teenager to return to the UK with you

All this great advice, yet the OP hasnt back on BE since this question was asked!
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
All this great advice, yet the OP hasnt back on BE since this question was asked!
Not unusual if you look at her past posts...a few mid July then non until now. Maybe it will be another 4/5 weeks before she returns.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Little Ms Naughty is just really niceLittle Ms Naughty is just really niceLittle Ms Naughty is just really niceLittle Ms Naughty is just really niceLittle Ms Naughty is just really niceLittle Ms Naughty is just really niceLittle Ms Naughty is just really niceLittle Ms Naughty is just really nice

Thank you for all your replies.

She has already moved out and is sharing with 2 lovely girls in Subi, has a job and will be starting Uni next year.

Its suddenly dawn on me that I am so proud of her. This is what she wants and she has made it happen. When we return the door will always be open for her and if things don’t work out here for her I will be proud of her for giving it ago….just like we did when we did in coming to Australia in the first place.

I now have the task of explaining to her younger brother and sister why they cant stay too!

N
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little Ms Naughty

She has already moved out and is sharing with 2 lovely girls in Subi, has a job and will be starting Uni next year.

Its suddenly dawn on me that I am so proud of her. This is what she wants and she has made it happen. When we return the door will always be open for her and if things don’t work out here for her I will be proud of her for giving it ago….just like we did when we did in coming to Australia in the first place.

I now have the task of explaining to her younger brother and sister why they cant stay too!

N
Great news...sounds like she's a level headed young lady. You've given her the opportunity of staying in Aus and the safety net of a home back in the UK with you...what else could she wish for? As a parent I feel you've done your best for your daughter...the rest is down to her.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Little Ms Naughty

N
I'm glad it has worked out this way! she sounds like she has got a good head of her shoulders...

just the sad part is, you are all going to all be 'separated'. I hope her younger sibling will understand...as this is what I struggle w/everyday....Being separated from the family in the UK, by being in Canada. My parents(now divorced) immigrated, I was 3.

anyway, I wish you all the luck down the road.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
I get angry when I think about how we were just shuffled around like pieces of furniture at the convenience of our parents. We were not really considered...

Parents, the impact of your decision to move abroad with kids goes way beyond the weather, taxes and a better life. It has an impact for generations to come. Think about it!
I think the depth of feelings exhibited by the posters on this thread shows that we do all think very hard about our kids. It is the one element we do not take lightly. And we are all very good a re-calling the good and bad experiences from our own childhoods.

I feel for you, and the impact you believe this move had on your life. However, the fact that your parents stayed in Spain for 25 years was no 'fleeting whim' ... did they move around alot within that time also?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

No, they stayed in one place. Yes, 25 years is not a whim. I just wanted to share that the decision they made changed a lot of peoples lives. But, they are finding it very difficult to settle in back in the UK. I don't think they realised how 'spanish' they had become. While they were in Spain, compared with the locals, they were still quite British. When they got home, they realised how much closer to Spanish they were. I think that's something a lot of us who are going home can relate too (even more so if you have been away for a long time).
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
No, they stayed in one place. Yes, 25 years is not a whim. I just wanted to share that the decision they made changed a lot of peoples lives. But, they are finding it very difficult to settle in back in the UK. I don't think they realised how 'spanish' they had become. While they were in Spain, compared with the locals, they were still quite British. When they got home, they realised how much closer to Spanish they were. I think that's something a lot of us who are going home can relate too (even more so if you have been away for a long time).
There have been a number of news items lately on British retirees who went to Spain and after 10, 20, or more years came back to the UK because they were getting old and frail and the Spanish health system did not suit them (apparently, it's quite good, but extended family are expected to do all the day-to-day care - and of course most British retirees' family members are back in the UK).

When you head off to other countries at a young (or not so young) age, it's impossible to know what effect it will have on you and your loved ones in several years. I'm sure most of us would do it again, looking back, but for many people it seems to cause a lot of heartache. Still, we have it a lot better than those who emigrated "for good" not even too many years ago because it was too expensive to return, phone calls were too expensive, and travel around the world took so long. At least we have the internet, cheap international calls and (relatively) easy and cheap travel.

Och shite, here I go getting maudlin again. I either need to get back to the US, shut up, and/or stay off BE for a while!