Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What kind of petrol do you get?

Wikiposts

What kind of petrol do you get?

Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:23 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kind of petrol do you get?

Originally Posted by Rushman
The "Industry practice in every country" remark was about tankers of all different oil companies going into a fuel terminal of one particular company to load up with fuel and deliver to their own chain of gas stations not about the practice of small gas stations selling 87 octane as 93..

Fair 'nuff - thats definitely the case. Thought you meant the other bit about ripping off the punters....
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: What kind of petrol do you get?

Originally Posted by Bob
So anyone bother with the premium stuff or not?

The "new" motor can use unleaded up to premium, drops 35 horses though, but I'm not a big motor nut nor rag the car hard enough to miss it, but I have been getting plus for it....least I ain't as mad as the shop guy who mixes in paint thinner to get a more lean fuel fix, but then he's a nutter

The Cheapest Bob!

Currently $2.64 for 87 octane unleaded in Texas.

Premium gasoline/petrol is for rich bastards and snobs
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandpete
I have absolutely no idea when it comes to cars or petrol but I know everytime I have filled up at my local Lukoil station my car seems sluggish. It's bad enough trying to join fast flowing, bumper to bumper traffic on NJ highways at the best of times but when your car suddenly decides to splutter a bit it's scary as hell.
Try a tune up....your car seems out of tune. If you can get petrol/gasoline additive, that might work.

If I have trouble like that, I change gas stations, and rev the hell out of the engine for 30 mins, make it nice and hot.

The trouble with engines these days, they don't get to a working capacity to get oil everywhere and sludge develops.

Give your car a good workout and use higher revs. 2500 to 4000
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
My car was made in 1986. The owner's manual has LONG since gone the way of the dodo.

It's got the 302 Windsor V8 they used to use in those 80's Ford Mustangs - any idea what it prefers to drink?

I get 17mpg.
Thats good! I have a Chevy Silverado and I get 12 mpg, lol ( but I drive like a bishop out of a brothel)

V6 4.3 litre Vortec stats 18/22 city highway Nothing like making the truck pull 5000 revs and hearing it sing, Bliss

my driving 12/14
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
My understanding was always that if your car didn't call for premium fuel - then you were just throwing your money away. If, however, it does call for premium fuel (my husband's does for instance) then that's what you should use. (i.e. follow the manual)
true, but when the manual says it can use a range of fuel, that's good
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:03 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
Thats good! I have a Chevy Silverado and I get 12 mpg, lol ( but I drive like a bishop out of a brothel)

V6 4.3 litre Vortec stats 18/22 city highway Nothing like making the truck pull 5000 revs and hearing it sing, Bliss

my driving 12/14
NICE!

My BIL just got himself a brand new Tundra. 5.7 V8. That thing can SHIFT too. I think he fills it with premium.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:41 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've gone through my first tank of SUPER.

On regular, I did an average of 17mpg.

This time, I did an average of 15mpg.

So that's not good at ALL!

But I will try another tankload, since I filled up and all.