Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What have you learnt about yourself whilst....

What have you learnt about yourself whilst....

Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:44 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you learnt about yourself whilst....

Originally Posted by Nathan84
You cannot replace friends you have known your whole life. You can move and make friends but it's just not the same as the crowd you grew up with or have known for years.

I have also learnt not to take things for granted and to appreciate what you really had.

If someone asked me do I regret moving it's a difficult one to answer.... I do wonder how differently things would have turned out had we stayed in England and not moved but then I guess I can say I gave it a go and ultimately it wasn't for me. And plus I don't think you can have a bigger life experience then moving country.
Green is a glorious colour.
Rain smells and sounds amazing.
Blue skies can be tedious.
British people are incredibly warm and honest.
I love being around people who say what they mean and more importantly mean what they say.
A phonecall is not always enough.
One of the most precious things in life are hugs.
Materialistic purchases just lead to more materialistic purchases, not happiness.
Happiness cannot be bought, or found in a new environment, but within yourself, feeling good in your own self.
Just because you move to an English speaking country, doesn't neccesarily mean you will be understood.
Never underestimate nostalgia.
I can't think of anything else.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meljor
I love being around people who say what they mean and more importantly mean what they say.
Materialistic purchases just lead to more materialistic purchases, not happiness.
Happiness cannot be bought, or found in a new environment, but within yourself, feeling good in your own self.
Just because you move to an English speaking country, doesn't neccesarily mean you will be understood.

How sweet!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:04 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
How sweet!
Thank you.
Forgot to add, that utopia is no country on this Earth. What matters is where you feel at home.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

Wow..................reading that has just bought a tear to my eye and lump to my throat.

Thank you

Chelle x
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theyoungs
Wow..................reading that has just bought a tear to my eye and lump to my throat.

Thank you

Chelle x
Hear hear
Right at the mo don't think I could add a thing, will cut & paste & maybe literally stick on the wall! Well done bramblebush
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:01 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramblebush
........living abroad?

I have learnt:

It was modern life that I was running away from.
Family is far more important to me than I ever realised.
I am quite pleased, maybe even proud to be English.
I actually had a really nice life before I left.
I love the English sense of humour.
You can't beat good old sarcasm.
I need the good friends that I left behind.

I will add more as I think of them
My daughters have done fine without me.
That England really isn't that bad after all.
I am proud to be British.
The British educational system really isn't as bad as I had thought.
Americans can't spell, even so called educated one's.
Yellow school buses aren't just in the movies.
Americans love a British accent.
I miss things I never thought I would miss.
I have aged a heck of a lot since I came here.
I miss the Brit warped sense of humour.
British tv is probably the best there is.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

apart from the first 1 I agree with you.
you realise life is all about the people that you share it with not where you are or what you have.

........living abroad?

I have learnt:

It was modern life that I was running away from.
Family is far more important to me than I ever realised.
I am quite pleased, maybe even proud to be English.
I actually had a really nice life before I left.
I love the English sense of humour.
You can't beat good old sarcasm.
I need the good friends that I left behind.

I will add more as I think of them
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Ditto - and I wish I knew then what I know now.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
Ditto - and I wish I knew then what I know now.
Gosh, I bet we all do!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:48 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

........living abroad?

That wherever you go, there you are (so you have to learn to live with yourself before you can be happy in any particular country)
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
That wherever you go, there you are (so you have to learn to live with yourself before you can be happy in any particular country)
very true
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

That I am glad I was born in England.
That my fellow countrymen are very funny.
That I prefer old historic buildings to modern.
That beaches and hot/humid weather just don't do it for me.
That seasons are wonderful.
That UK TV is great.
That I would hate to pass away anywhere else but England/UK
That travel broadens the mind but the heart has to be happy.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Eton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud ofEton_Rifle has much to be proud of

That after 5 years I still feel like a stranger here.

That every time I get on a plane to visit the UK a massive weight lifts off my shoulders.

The UK media should be ashamed of itself.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice

[QUOTE=meljor;7

Unknowlingly, I dropped a five pound note yesterday - two elderley women shouted and ran after me to give me it back. You cant get better than that!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

That your never too old to get to know yourself and what you want
That I am glad I had the upbringing in the UK I did in the 50'60's.
That my teenage son had a great upbringing in Perth and enjoyed it so much he wants to go back.
That home is where the heart is
That you have to live with yourself and not relatives or someone else so like who you are.
That without my OH I wouldn't be here and am so grateful to him for putting up with me.
That I am too eager to please others

ermmm, cant think of much else