What have you learnt?

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you learnt?

We are returning for work (so reluctantly) but I have learnt, although sometimes quick decisions are good, sometimes you should not make snap judgements.

I was keen to return to UK in my first 2 years in Oz , then sometime in year 3 I realised melbourne had grown on me.

Now I am really sad to be leaving behind all the friends we have made, and the things we are familiar with....but we will be back.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am not returning, but I have learnt the true meaning of this quote.

"If you dont achieve peace within yourself, you will never find it anywhere else".
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I've learnt that being away from Australia has only strengthened the things that I disliked about living there.

But I've also learnt that despite the UK offering me everything I wanted and being as great as I knew it would be, that somehow I/we don't belong here, as a couple long term.

I've learnt that the things that I use to rely on England for to define and centre me, actually reside in Mrs T now. She is my country, my centre, my sense of purpose and the reason I get up each day* If she's happy, I'm happy.

After living in 5 countries I've learnt I can live anywhere, but truly belong nowhere. I've learnt it takes a great deal of inner strength to confront these things. I've learnt I have that strength.

It's been sad and empowering at the same time.

* plus the odd triathlon and cycle race.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

LisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really nice

What a lovely, lovely post Pablo, thank you.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Pablo, beautiful words......written so well.......was that your words or from a book?
Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:31 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default What have you learnt?

To stay where I am!
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

I've learned:
1. To truly not sweat the small stuff; it all works out in the end.
2. That I have more emotional strength than I ever gave myself credit for.
3. To focus my energy on things I can change, rather than whining about things I can't.
3. To truly appreciate my family rather than take them for granted.
4. That positive thinking reaps positive rewards.
5.. That every cloud, no matter how black, has a silver lining. Sometimes we've got to look for it, but it's always there. .
6. That life is only as difficult as I choose to make it - regardless of where I live.

Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Pablo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lestagirl

When we came back from Florida I wrote a few essays about before during and after our move, just jottings really. The whole experience had a huge impact on me. So all my words not from a book, I wrote about 75 thousand in total……….good therapy!!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=532669&page=3 post 33

Another one…..

Pablo1
Old Jul 5th 2010, 12:33 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely words Pablo!!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned previously, that the grass is not greener. That I will probably have eternal itchy feet, it's probably in the genes. That I get a warm feeling inside that is difficult to explain, when I return to the UK. It just feels like home.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

We left the UK in 1995 and are planning to return in 2012.

What have we learnt:

The Bahamas is one of the best places in the world for a holiday, but the optimum time to be a resident is about three years.

Don't live in The Netherlands unless you are Dutch or are direct to the point of being rude or arrogant.

The Irish are even more welcoming than the Bahamians (but only just) and when you eventually leave your liver will have been very well trained for any social challenge in the future.

Your children will accept and embrace all colours, creeds and cultures if they are exposed to them. They will also see the whole world as an opportunity and not just one particular corner of it.

Maintaining contact with friends and family has to be worked on but is worth every effort.

When a partner is signalling that it is time to go "home", plan carefully for the children's sake, but make it happen to an agreed timetable.

Look back at your travels as a marvellous adventure (those rose-tinted spectacles help with this, anyway) and be thankful that the right opportunities presented themselves at the right time.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:21 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I have learned that just because two people agree on emigrating to another country, that doesn't mean they'll both always agree on everything ... like when it's time to go home to England ... or if it will ever be time.

I've also learned that I find platitudes like 'follow your dreams' to be intensely irritating. If only life were that simple.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:29 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I have learned that just because two people agree on emigrating to another country, that doesn't mean they'll both always agree on everything ... like when it's time to go home to England ... or if it will ever be time.

I've also learned that I find platitudes like 'follow your dreams' to be intensely irritating. If only life were that simple.
Yes the follow your dreams bit gets me as well.

Following my bloody dreams would be like using a Sat Nav that didnt correspond with the area - I would end up all over the place not knowing which direction to take
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

Theantikid is an unknown quantity at this point

I have learned that I know nothing about anything.
I can feel as frightened as when I was a child.
There is a saying that making a decision is the death of possiblities and I have learned the truth of that.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

That basing large changes on emotions should always be backed up by logic and have a good follow thru!

To be open to change and to be solid in your planning.

Life is never easy and the more people you have depending on you the more complicated it gets.

That i CAN learn and i am not as closed minded as most of my extended family.

Never trust bad people.... they are not capable of being nice no matter how good of actors they are! Go with your gut!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.