Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What has happened to Britain?

What has happened to Britain?

Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

trejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nice
Default Re: What has happened to Britain?

Originally Posted by ThomB
I moved from the UK to australia to find better life and now I see what I lost, I move back to the UK soon, Australia is expensive and crap, and can't find a job here, the UK has more to offer than pretty Oz;
You can't find a job here?????????? Where in Oz are you? There are ship loads of jobs in Brisbane. If you are going back to England to look for work be prepared for a rude shock!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think the negativity is all part of the national psyche these days unfortunately. Gone is the resilience of the WW generations who rolled up their sleeves and got on with it. The generation that followed (mine) were, to a large degree, pampered in comparison because of the deprivation experienced by our parents and we came to expect everything to fall into our laps because it always had. The next generation was so far removed from the hardship of their grandparents that they are absolutely spineless and expect someone else to do the tough stuff for them. All they do well is whinge about their lot (which is a whole lot better than can be said for many folk in the world!). My parents' generation are whingeing about the apathy of their grandchildren's generation and reluctance to take responsibility for themselves.

I am not saying that this is unique to UK either - Aus has it as well. We are overgoverned and our resilience and responsibility for running our own lives is diminished in consequence. As a society we pay lip service to people taking responsibility for themselves but then hedge them around with legal tape that they are unable to do so effectively. (Take for example the women who baked cakes to give to the emergency workers and evacuees when we had huge bush fires here a few years ago - they were all dumped in the garbage because some shiny bum - public servant - told us they contravened some health law or other because they werent cooked in a commercial kitchen. So much for the community using its own resources to recover from a disaster!!! No more school cake stalls for us!!!)

The media plays a huge role in the communal attitude I reckon and there needs to be a media push to make Gt Britain GREAT again without all the apologists grovelling about how unworthy we are. This doesnt mean knocking anyone else but just being proud of what we have and what we do.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

trejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
I think the negativity is all part of the national psyche these days unfortunately. Gone is the resilience of the WW generations who rolled up their sleeves and got on with it. The generation that followed (mine) were, to a large degree, pampered in comparison because of the deprivation experienced by our parents and we came to expect everything to fall into our laps because it always had. The next generation was so far removed from the hardship of their grandparents that they are absolutely spineless and expect someone else to do the tough stuff for them. All they do well is whinge about their lot (which is a whole lot better than can be said for many folk in the world!). My parents' generation are whingeing about the apathy of their grandchildren's generation and reluctance to take responsibility for themselves.

I am not saying that this is unique to UK either - Aus has it as well. We are overgoverned and our resilience and responsibility for running our own lives is diminished in consequence. As a society we pay lip service to people taking responsibility for themselves but then hedge them around with legal tape that they are unable to do so effectively. (Take for example the women who baked cakes to give to the emergency workers and evacuees when we had huge bush fires here a few years ago - they were all dumped in the garbage because some shiny bum - public servant - told us they contravened some health law or other because they werent cooked in a commercial kitchen. So much for the community using its own resources to recover from a disaster!!! No more school cake stalls for us!!!)

The media plays a huge role in the communal attitude I reckon and there needs to be a media push to make Gt Britain GREAT again without all the apologists grovelling about how unworthy we are. This doesnt mean knocking anyone else but just being proud of what we have and what we do.
Please forgive me for this.............................................. ...I may not be as clever as you....................but I get the distinct feeling that you are, "one very confused lady"
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trejon
Please forgive me for this.............................................. ...I may not be as clever as you....................but I get the distinct feeling that you are, "one very confused lady"
Quoll is not "confused"! But you seem to be happy to make bland statements to posters, when you have no idea what they are talking about, or what they have experienced.

The old phrase about 'walking one mile in my shoes' ring any bells???
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jojosan
Quoll is not "confused"! But you seem to be happy to make bland statements to posters, when you have no idea what they are talking about, or what they have experienced.

The old phrase about 'walking one mile in my shoes' ring any bells???
Yes I chose to make a bland statement about what was written because I didn't want to make any public statement about what she had written, that may have offended her.

Unlike what you have just done, by writing what you have written about me, without knowing ANYTHING about me.
The old phrase 'people in glass houses' ring any bells???
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, nothing "confused" about Quoll at all. What she wrote made perfect sense to me.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geeandtee
Nope, nothing "confused" about Quoll at all. What she wrote made perfect sense to me.
Me three
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when nylons were not available just after the war and women used to shade their legs with a brown liquid. A friend told me she used a Bisto mix which was fine until it rained.

How many would do that nowadays?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you are quite as clever as me - in what way have I confused you?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
I remember when nylons were not available just after the war and women used to shade their legs with a brown liquid. A friend told me she used a Bisto mix which was fine until it rained.

How many would do that nowadays?
LOL my FIL always asks if I've got gravy browning on when I have a tan.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crayfish
Actually, I'm going to Australia for the cultural diversity and the colourful history. And the lovely people of course! They are so understated and unassuming
Come to Canning Vale then, you will find nearly every culture we have around the globe living here!!!!! and that's just around our park......
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quoll....I think he'd be confused working out how to tie his shoelaces!!! you don't have to justify yourself him..........you always write very balanced opionions and to some of us your up there with the "gods"!!!!! thank the heavens people like that are living in Aus and not in Britain......
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Well, to be honest with you, I had not read what you wrote in another thread about you going back to the UK every year. Had I not have read that, I would have replied with "If the UK is that 'great', how come you have been here for the last 29 years"

I agree with the rest of the content of your statement though and I often think about all the do gooders and (forgive me for this) pyschologists these days that don't want us to chastise children when they are naughty, and I quickly end up with a wry smile on my face as I reflect on the old saying "we all reap what we sow".

If people think things are bad now, they have a nasty shock coming in years to come.

As for putting the Great back into Britain.......................I am sorry for this ....................it's too late!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Quoll....I think he'd be confused working out how to tie his shoelaces!!! you don't have to justify yourself him..........you always write very balanced opionions and to some of us your up there with the "gods"!!!!! thank the heavens people like that are living in Aus and not in Britain......

I do not need to resort to insults but if you would care read one of my recent resposes, you will find that I finished with a comment about it being "too late" to put the 'Great' back into Britain. Your response pays testament to that!!!! Do you know the meaning of "forum"
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, to be honest with you, I had not read what you wrote in another thread about you going back to the UK every year. Had I not have read that, I would have replied with "If the UK is that 'great', how come you have been here for the last 29 years"

I agree with the rest of the content of your statement though and I often think about all the do gooders and (forgive me for this) pyschologists these days that don't want us to chastise children when they are naughty, and I quickly end up with a wry smile on my face as I reflect on the old saying "we all reap what we sow".

If people think things are bad now, they have a nasty shock coming in years to come.

As for putting the Great back into Britain.......................I am sorry for this ....................it's too late!

LOL, would you believe I am a psychologist and I quite agree with you about reaping what we sow - my kids did get chastised and have grown up to be (reasonably) responsible young men

I guess I am hoping that the worm will turn at some stage and the British people will begin to realize that what they have is to be prized and fought for (when I said about responsible sons, one of mine has put his money where his mouth is and is training to be a British army officer!).

I reiterate though that one of the big differences is the influence of the media on community attitude and unfortunately the media sells negativity in UK whereas it does not in Aus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.