Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Happens On Arrival When Moving Back To The UK?

What Happens On Arrival When Moving Back To The UK?

Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Dave2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Happens On Arrival When Moving Back To The UK?

This is probably a basic questions that may have been posted before, so sorry for that in advance.

When moving back to the UK what do you do at immigration? Just join the queue for passport control and then explain your situation or do you have to make arrangements with immigration in advance to tell that that you're moving back?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Happens On Arrival When Moving Back To The UK?

Originally Posted by Dave2009
This is probably a basic questions that may have been posted before, so sorry for that in advance.

When moving back to the UK what do you do at immigration? Just join the queue for passport control and then explain your situation or do you have to make arrangements with immigration in advance to tell that that you're moving back?

Thanks in advance
You don't need to tell them anything. Just show them your passport and walk through as normal. If they ask you, then you can say you're moving back, but otherwise its just like entering on holiday.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You walk thorough passport control; and they look at your passport and say Welcome home. Well they have each time I go back, it makes me smile and also well up with a few tears.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 6:42 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Just moved back after 30 years away and nobody said nowt.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 3:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Aww well Welcome home bee
Old Mar 5th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Same here Bee
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You walk thorough passport control; and they look at your passport and say Welcome home. Well they have each time I go back, it makes me smile and also well up with a few tears.
I know exactly how you feel. When I went back in September just for a holiday, there was an enormously long queue for non -UK passport holders and no queue for UK citizens. So I asked the passport control person if I could use my British passport to enter, even though I had travelled on my Canadian one. He gave me big smile and said "Course you can my love, Welcome Home!!" I almost burst into tears right there and then....must have been the jetlag
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
I know exactly how you feel. When I went back in September just for a holiday, there was an enormously long queue for non -UK passport holders and no queue for UK citizens. So I asked the passport control person if I could use my British passport to enter, even though I had travelled on my Canadian one. He gave me big smile and said "Course you can my love, Welcome Home!!" I almost burst into tears right there and then....must have been the jetlag
I always use my UK passport to enter the UK regardless of the fact that I have to use my US one to leave the States. It makes it so much easier as the line for UK is always shorter - same coming back to the US - the line for US citizens is always shorter. I just wish the baggage would come up quicker as that is always the painful wait for me
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I always use my UK passport to enter the UK regardless of the fact that I have to use my US one to leave the States. It makes it so much easier as the line for UK is always shorter - same coming back to the US - the line for US citizens is always shorter. I just wish the baggage would come up quicker as that is always the painful wait for me
Ditto. UK passport for entering UK, Canadian passport for entering Canada.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by bandrui
Ditto. UK passport for entering UK, Canadian passport for entering Canada.
I also used to do that too, until I was advised by an Immigration Officer in the UK that it wasn't wise to use 2 different passports in the same trip.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I also used to do that too, until I was advised by an Immigration Officer in the UK that it wasn't wise to use 2 different passports in the same trip.
Did he say why?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Can't imagine why. My daughter does it all the time, leaves South Africa on her SA passport - legal requirement if you have dual nationality - and enters the UK on her British one. How would they know, and why would they want to?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

You're not supposed to check in at one airport with one passport and then at the other airport with a different one. The airline system has a record of your trip over, and the system catches that you used a different passport (or at least, it did for us ).

But going through immigration, I don't think they have any way of knowing. They're just checking your passport to see that it's valid and that you realy are a citizen.

So we always use the same passport both ways for the airline, but then go through immigration with the passport of the country we just arrived in.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
So we always use the same passport both ways for the airline, but then go through immigration with the passport of the country we just arrived in.
That's exactly what I do - when returning to the US I use my US passport as that is what the airlines want but on the entry to the UK through immigration I use my UK passport
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:10 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind being greeted like this when landing back home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3NPNM4xgo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.