What to expect!

Old Mar 24th 2007, 4:22 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to expect!

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Hi Pommy bird what you say brings warmth to my heart.
Well written and I have to agree with you totally.
Makes you appreciate what you had before you went away.
Lifes always far from perfect you have your good days and bad but I know that although difficult I am looking forward to my return to blighty.
Yes the pursuit of happiness is a funny thing - for me I had to travel halfway across the world to realise what I wanted was right there on my doorstep in England the whole time!! Good luck and best wishes for your return to the motherland!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:45 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
A Very interesting post !!

I am not bitter ! Angry most definately when every day i see stuff which is happening in England . The Country i always loved !!

So i shall firstly reply Honestly to the OP as its there thread and think its decency to respect they require truthful input rather than the thread change to the usual slanging match !! As seems to happen on this subject

England is still a Good Country in general ,and a great place to live if you can tick a few of the boxes you will be fine .

1/ If you smoke , dont mind having to smoke outside in the rain , and if you dont mind paying £ 4 per Pack to the Government ?

2/ If you want to drive a economical little car ? Fuel now at near on £ 1 a Litre , Roads around towns over crowded , Road tax £ 160 a year ?

3/ If you are happy with 8 weeks summer sunshine , and 4 weeks warm muggy cloudy skies . followed by Rain , Clouds and more Rain . Since November 2006 til Early March 2007 we have had ongoing Rains and dull days ! I can recall maybe 2 weekends with sunshine in all that time ?

4/ If you have No objections and have plenty of money to pay for the ever increasing Tax burdens , not on your wages but on virtually evrything you can think of !! ie; My Council rates are now up to £ 1800 a year , Water `Rates now at £ 800 a year , Food prices forever going up average food shop for 2 people here is about £ 85 a week and thats on economy lines ! Asda(Walmart) own brands etc.. Electrics average Quarterly bill £ 200 , ?

5/ If you dont mind living in a highly Multi Racial community , with a further batch from Bulgaria estimated to be flooding in from now onwards , Stretching small towns and villages to bursting point ?

6/ If you intended to start a new business , the overhead costs in Rent and rates for a town small shop ,will set you back some £ 15,000 in Rent and then a further £ 7,500 in Rates , add to this such new Employee Rights that very soon apparently, even Mums whos kids are ill are allowed to take time off and the Employer must pay them ! ( this is i believe is 1 of our wonderful Governments doo lally schemes to get Mums back to work ) . Add to this the absolute mountain of Regulations , thought up monthly in a bid i am convinced to drive small businesses into Bankrupcy ! And you will find that every town is losing the small shops and every town is slowly only having the Big Stores ie; Boots,Woolworths,Marks and Spencers,Tesco etc,. ?

7/ If you like Countryside then we have still some lovely places , Only downside is driving there ! this will be hard as to many cars on the roads make getting anywhere on a sunny day hard going . overcrowding in a lot of places , relying on road systems that havent altered in 50 years in most cases ?

8/ If you want to own your own property then you need to have plenty of money as Englands propertys are amongst the highest in the world and most are crammed in like sardines ?

9/ If you like living in a Country where you have very little rights remainning and are more than happy to do as your told without question , then it will suit ?

10/ If you are extremely poor you will be fine as this present government like to provide for you and if you can manage making a few kids then you will be well supported , housed and the suchlike ?

11/ If you like to have a few Beers then a pint will cost you about £ 2.50 a pint , and are open 24 hours in some towns . So you could mix with the drunks rolling out the clubs and pubs at 3 am very happily ?

Now on the subject of Graylings opinion that we are all leaving UK as we have failled What a lot of tosh !!

I can only speak for myself of course but i imagine this is also true of a lot of us seeking to get away !

Without being show offy so to speak i am most certainly not a failure !
I am aged 47 have a wonderful wife smashing grown up kids and a grandaughter who can melt you at 5 feet
I own 3 businesses 2 web based and 1 in retail . I live in a 5 -6 bedroomed luxury Individually Architecture designed house standing in large grounds in the countryside , with own Golf range and Fishing lake ! Income wise i earn very well ..
I dont blame just the Government although they have just driven us to the point of no return , I dont likewise blame the weather although i have seen the future predictions and England is destined for more rain and cloudy weather due to Global (or Earth Cycle which ever way your views are ) warming ,
The Number of weekends that i have said to Mrs BigPete hey we will shoot to the Beach this weekend only to find its windy, cloudy and naff weather ! And its set to get worse !! How depressing is that ?

So there you have it !! Maybe compared to Grayling i am a Failure ? Its all relative anyways as to the young Couple struggling to pay the mortgage on there 2 up 2 down then maybe i am a Rich Guy , But compared to grayling then yep i am a porper

Regarding will i be happy when i move to Spain ? i cant see why not ? Cheaper living expenses ! More Free Sunny days to spend all the extra money And when all my Properties Businesses and things are sold and i never need to work again !! The Quality Villa with them sea views and the Boat sat in the marina .. Dont feel i will be to Bitter

Big Pete!! Are you my father-in-law?? You don't 'alf sound like him!!!!!! Good luck in Spain!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:37 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Big Pete!! Are you my father-in-law?? You don't 'alf sound like him!!!!!! Good luck in Spain!!
Well if i am please accept my apologies for missing the wedding xx
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Because I can

For a change.

Because I have my family (children) there.

I am not going to turn my back on my own country though.

I will live in both as and when it suits me

G
Good luck to you Grayling .Just wish I was fortunate enough to be able to do it as I would cetaintly live in both places OZ and UK maybe even Italy.
Its the same old story if you have money then your options are great.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Yes the pursuit of happiness is a funny thing - for me I had to travel halfway across the world to realise what I wanted was right there on my doorstep in England the whole time!! Good luck and best wishes for your return to the motherland!
Thanks.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:07 am
Still In Perth

starlet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
I went back for 5 weeks December 2005 - an 2006. Loved every minute of it! Loved all the Xmas atmosphere - even the grey weather. Only downside was having to come back to Oz. Managed to get through the next year in Oz, and now I'm off again soon for another 3 weeks - hopefully that will get me through till we can leave Oz for good.

I didn't see any chavs or hoodies - then again I don't tend to go to places where they hang out!!!

It's all good!!

the atmosphere is one of the reasons why i definitely want to go back, in england it felt alive, over here, well

goodluck on your return! Do you know when you might go back?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:15 am
Still In Perth

starlet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes
You will have to go back and make your own judgements and decide if you want to live back there. Some people love it and it is the best thing they have done, others are used to a different lifestyle now and it doesn't suit. It all depends on what is important to you.

Its just some thing i know that ill love
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Big Pete;4554180][B][U]A Very interesting post !!

I hope Spain has the answers you want. Those employee benefits have been in place for ages...maybe only in Govt related jobs though, not sure? Anyway, politics and taxes exist everywhere, no escape from that, though I agree it is costly here. However we do live in a first class country so we pay for the privilege.Incidentially you may be disappointed by the Spanish licensing laws...open all hora I think!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:36 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by starlet

the atmosphere is one of the reasons why i definitely want to go back, in england it felt alive, over here, well

goodluck on your return! Do you know when you might go back?
If it was up to me - we'd go now, but like lots of people say - you can't just up sticks and go!! At least we haven't bought a house!

Hopefully this time next year!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:14 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you have to hate a country in order to go and live elsewhere?

I have never understood that.
Well, possibly because your life is one never ending parade of joy and happiness, you do have trouble understanding it. Fact is, some people have good reason to hate the place. Despite having risen to the bait a few times on this forum, I didn't hate the UK and I don't now, but if I lived on a sink estate in Glasgow (as opposed to the middle-class, middle-England, Peak District [by way of example]) and my only means of escape was to emigrate, then I might well feel differently.

A bit like the japanese ones in Australia then? or vietnamese....or greek.....
Never seen one. Place names from the Aboriginal have the English meaning underneath, but there sure aren't any road signs in a foreign language and the only time I've seen a sign in Japanese was when I was in a sushi bar.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:51 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Well, possibly because your life is one never ending parade of joy and happiness, you do have trouble understanding it. Fact is, some people have good reason to hate the place. Despite having risen to the bait a few times on this forum, I didn't hate the UK and I don't now, but if I lived on a sink estate in Glasgow (as opposed to the middle-class, middle-England, Peak District [by way of example]) and my only means of escape was to emigrate, then I might well feel differently.

Never seen one. Place names from the Aboriginal have the English meaning underneath, but there sure aren't any road signs in a foreign language and the only time I've seen a sign in Japanese was when I was in a sushi bar.

nice one
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:35 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I also can't understand why you have to hate the place you were born...I never grow up in a good part of the UK...if there was something below dirt poor we were it...

You don't have to give anyone a reason to leave your country of birth and move on...most of the reasons given you'll just find in your new country anyway....