What to expect!

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:38 am
Still In Perth

starlet is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What to expect!

Me and my family were planning on returning to the UK for two weeks and i just want to know what to expect.
I remember all the chavs and vandalizing and the small houses and there have been quite a few posts saying England has changed into a broken down country. But i just want to hear a few stories of people going back and liking it, then returning. Or maybe you hated it?
Thanks.

(I realise i posted this thread twice)

Last edited by starlet; Mar 23rd 2007 at 10:59 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:14 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to expect!

Originally Posted by starlet
Me and my family were planning on returning to the UK for two weeks and i just want to know what to expect.
I remember all the chavs and vandalizing and the small houses and there have been quite a few posts saying England has changed into a broken down country. But i just want to hear a few stories of people going back and liking it, then returning. Or maybe you hated it?
Thanks.

Hi starlet - we returned to the UK last year and have never looked back - we love it - I think it all depends on what part of the UK you are visiting - some parts (which I won't mention for fear of offending people who may live there!!) are a bit crap but most of the UK is fabulous IMO. I have said before and I'll say again I think the media is so much to blame for giving the UK this awful reputation - our papers and news constantly report doom and gloom. I personally see very little evidence of this 'broken down country' I see a country that has some problems like most developed nations such as OZ, USA and Canada but I also see a country with beautiful countryside, a deep and varied history, beautiful temperate summers and ever increasing milder winters, reasonable and well stocked shops (food and clothes) and decent telly (yes I know if I lived in Oz I would be too busy out enjoying myself at barbies and down the beach to watch telly.... 'whatever'!!), and it's the place where all the people I love most live - all of these things is what brought me home, and these things for me outweigh the bad parts of living in the UK.

Hope you enjoy your visit and don't run into too many 'chavs'!!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:26 am
Still In Perth

starlet is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear
brings hope to me
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I spent 3 weeks in January around the Cheshire area...apart from a few new buildings nothing seems to have changed. Although I did notice a lot of Eastern European accents.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Hi starlet - we returned to the UK last year and have never looked back - we love it - I think it all depends on what part of the UK you are visiting - some parts (which I won't mention for fear of offending people who may live there!!) are a bit crap but most of the UK is fabulous IMO. I have said before and I'll say again I think the media is so much to blame for giving the UK this awful reputation - our papers and news constantly report doom and gloom. I personally see very little evidence of this 'broken down country' I see a country that has some problems like most developed nations such as OZ, USA and Canada but I also see a country with beautiful countryside, a deep and varied history, beautiful temperate summers and ever increasing milder winters, reasonable and well stocked shops (food and clothes) and decent telly (yes I know if I lived in Oz I would be too busy out enjoying myself at barbies and down the beach to watch telly.... 'whatever'!!), and it's the place where all the people I love most live - all of these things is what brought me home, and these things for me outweigh the bad parts of living in the UK.

It put's my mind at rest reading posts like this, karma to ya
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

My friend is in the UK at the moment, who lives in OZ and she is having a great time catching up with the usual things, friends, family, shopping, pubs etc.
She hates the fact she has to come back here to OZ
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

there have been quite a few posts saying England has changed into a broken down country.
Remember that a big percentage of these posts are made by people who are bitter because they have been unable to make a decent lives for themselves and need someone or something to blame.

They are also the ones who will be unhappy and bitter wherever they live.

The UK is the same as it has ever been.... a prosperous, first world, modern country.

G
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
My friend is in the UK at the moment, who lives in OZ and she is having a great time catching up with the usual things, friends, family, shopping, pubs etc.
She hates the fact she has to come back here to OZ
I was back for 3 weeks in the New Year and loved every minute I was there.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Grayling
Remember that a big percentage of these posts are made by people who are bitter because they have been unable to make a decent lives for themselves and need someone or something to blame.

The UK is the same as it has ever been.... a prosperous, first world, modern country.

G
I agree...I didn't see much difference when I was last there and I have lived in the US for 11 years.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:58 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Great post and so true
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pommy bird what you say brings warmth to my heart.
Well written and I have to agree with you totally.
Makes you appreciate what you had before you went away.
Lifes always far from perfect you have your good days and bad but I know that although difficult I am looking forward to my return to blighty.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
As you usaully do Grayling you talk sense.

Last edited by Dreamaway 10; Mar 23rd 2007 at 10:43 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:16 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
As you usaully do Grayling you talk sense.
If he loves the place so much why is he emigrating to Australia ?

And in every other quote he says " The Uk people who moan about the Uk gone to the wall and stuff ! Are sad people who couldnt make a go of it in the UK !! "

He also then advises that where he lives he has such terrific views and countryside , he is a millionaire , lives like a king is always head hunted as he is so good , Thinks that the Uk is the best place in the world , and yet is emigrating

Maybe he will advise why he wants to go to a place that so many on here are so keen to get away from ? as i and maybe a few others would agree ??

It totally baffles me !!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I spent 3 weeks in January around the Cheshire area...apart from a few new buildings nothing seems to have changed. Although I did notice a lot of Eastern European accents.
Increasingly there are signs in Polish on the roads in the UK now - giving distances in Kms.! And in some shops there are notices in Polish - like I saw on the bakery department at Tesco.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Increasingly there are signs in Polish on the roads in the UK now - giving distances in Kms.! And in some shops there are notices in Polish - like I saw on the bakery department at Tesco.
Aye I've read about the road signs.

PS You don't have to write in bold...regular will do nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.