Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd brought back to the UK?

What do you wish you'd brought back to the UK?

Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you wish you'd brought back to the UK?

OK, for those of you who have already come home (and for the benefit of those of you who have yet to return), what do you wish you had brought back with you? You know, we all try to figure out what we might or might not use in the UK, or what we can/can't afford to ship back. For me:

In reality:
I had a fantastic gas-powered weed-whacker (strimmer) tool with detachable accessories - lawn edger, and hedge trimmer. I never thought I'd use it in the tiny gardens you get here in the UK and sold it to a friend for $40 (it cost me well over $200). I must have kicked myself dozens of times since I got back for not shipping it back in my 20ft container. Even just the weed-whacker would have made it worth it - after I cut the grass with my puny electric mower (I wish I'd brought my gas-powered mower back, too), I end up with a nice edge of grass that is 8 inches tall that I try trimming with a pair of manual shears (back-breaking work).

Also, I had two ultra-long garden hoses on sturdy wheeled hose reels. Someone told me on here that the UK fittings here are different from the US so I left them - but of course, I could easily have just cut the hose-ends off and used the plastic lock-tight ends you get here. Instead, I paid a fortune for a puny hose and hose reel that feels like it will fall apart any day.

In my dreams:
I wish I'd brought my truck back. Basic Mazda B-4000 (same as a Ford Ranger), old model so wouldn't have had to retro-fit to European/UK standards. The price of petrol here just wouldn't have made sense shipping it back (plus I drive an hour to work and back each day and couldn't have the pollution on my conscience - I only drove about 20 miles a week in the States). But I do miss being able to throw my bike (shopping, compost, house repair materials, garden plants) in my truck bed.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Red Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What do you wish you'd brought back to the UK?

Originally Posted by dunroving
OK, for those of you who have already come home (and for the benefit of those of you who have yet to return), what do you wish you had brought back with you? You know, we all try to figure out what we might or might not use in the UK, or what we can/can't afford to ship back. For me:

In reality:
I had a fantastic gas-powered weed-whacker (strimmer) tool with detachable accessories - lawn edger, and hedge trimmer. I never thought I'd use it in the tiny gardens you get here in the UK and sold it to a friend for $40 (it cost me well over $200). I must have kicked myself dozens of times since I got back for not shipping it back in my 20ft container. Even just the weed-whacker would have made it worth it - after I cut the grass with my puny electric mower (I wish I'd brought my gas-powered mower back, too), I end up with a nice edge of grass that is 8 inches tall that I try trimming with a pair of manual shears (back-breaking work).

Also, I had two ultra-long garden hoses on sturdy wheeled hose reels. Someone told me on here that the UK fittings here are different from the US so I left them - but of course, I could easily have just cut the hose-ends off and used the plastic lock-tight ends you get here. Instead, I paid a fortune for a puny hose and hose reel that feels like it will fall apart any day.

In my dreams:
I wish I'd brought my truck back. Basic Mazda B-4000 (same as a Ford Ranger), old model so wouldn't have had to retro-fit to European/UK standards. The price of petrol here just wouldn't have made sense shipping it back (plus I drive an hour to work and back each day and couldn't have the pollution on my conscience - I only drove about 20 miles a week in the States). But I do miss being able to throw my bike (shopping, compost, house repair materials, garden plants) in my truck bed.
Well when I get back to the UK, I wish I'd of brought back my OH and kids!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had brought all my garden tools too. They are very expensive over here. I also wish I had brought my Honda CRV........I sooooo miss it.v
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:53 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
I also wish I had brought my Honda CRV........I sooooo miss it.v
I was just about to post the same thing - I loved my Honda CRV too but had to sell it to pay for the shipping and flights home

Now I've got an old Mondeo Diesel which is so sluggish in comparison. Even worse I put petrol in it the other day so now have to pay to have it all cleared out
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:37 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Now I've got an old Mondeo Diesel which is so sluggish in comparison. Even worse I put petrol in it the other day so now have to pay to have it all cleared out
Were you having a blonde moment Louise?!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I've got a Fiat Punto...........I feel your pain.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Do they sell Pumpkin Pie in England? One of my kids loves it and he is desperate to know if he can get it there.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:10 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Do they sell Pumpkin Pie in England? One of my kids loves it and he is desperate to know if he can get it there.
I could never find it when I returned and couldn't even find tins of pumpkin pulp to make my own. Cooking and liquidising pumpkin doesn't have the same consistancy for me. Get him used to life without it now and wean him off it slowly
Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
I could never find it when I returned and couldn't even find tins of pumpkin pulp to make my own. Cooking and liquidising pumpkin doesn't have the same consistancy for me. Get him used to life without it now and wean him off it slowly
Oh crap! The poor thing is going to be gutted

Just found this website http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/aaasmt/

They stock all sorts of goodies and that includes pumpkin pie filling - great!

This one does it too and Aunt Jemimas pancake syrup

http://www.americatessen.com/v2/index.asp

Last edited by fishfinger; Jun 21st 2007 at 5:29 am.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:58 am
Banned

devilishdaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm surprised no one has said the sunshine!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:00 am
Banned

devilishdaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ohhh and I forgot........... what about Chicken in a Biskit, Cherry Ripes and VB! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The thought!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:04 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a question. Is it worth getting one of those big BBQs to take back? Are they cheaper here and does UK have the big ones like we have in Aus?
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Oh crap! The poor thing is going to be gutted

Just found this website http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/aaasmt/

They stock all sorts of goodies and that includes pumpkin pie filling - great!

This one does it too and Aunt Jemimas pancake syrup

http://www.americatessen.com/v2/index.asp
You can get all that stuff in Waitrose!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:22 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could bring my car, a Chevy Cobalt. It's the most pleasant and reliable car I've ever had.

I have also decided that WHEN I win the National Lottery (hey, I can dream, right? ) I'm going to buy a huge plot of land in the middle of nowhere and have a builder stick the house I'm renting in the US on it. I look at the size of it and wish I could take it back brick by brick, as it's massive in comparison to most UK houses. Snagged it right in the middle of a real estate buying slump, so the rent is a friggin steal!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

i'm not back yet, but i have made a note to myself to stock up on pumpkin pulp and bring m'weed whacker;-)

we just bought a Toyota Sienna minivan, and I'll really miss it--is it cazy to consider having it shipped? It's probably mega compared to UK standards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.