Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most about Canada?

Wikiposts

What do you miss most about Canada?

Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:35 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss most about Canada?

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm sure I remember shopping at an ASDA in Nottingham and we left in '76. I saw it as the first superstore. Anyone else have any memories?

Bev
I worked in ASDA in Llandudno back in 78 when I was a teen and it had been open for a few years by then, the one I was at wasn't one of the first I don't think.
I went and did a search it was associated dairies in 1949 then ASDA in 1965 when they took over something else.
WalMart and supercentre wewre added in 2000
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:06 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I'd even miss my open and friendly bank now. Their slower, cheerful, chatty staff and no-glass-wall counters used to wind me up, but I'm a fan now!
Yes! Is Britain really so different to Canada as far as bank robbers are concerned? The open system seems to work fine in Canada. And then there's the fact that there's a bunch of tellers there ready to deal with just about everything. Here, we have to make an appointment to speak to someone about almost anything.

Bev
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:49 am
Just Joined

gilsland is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss Canadian Tire,Home Depot and Revi Timber.Sure they have Halfords and
B&Q. But they pale in comparison.I use to spend hours in those stores
looking at tools and home renovation stuff. I think here in the U.K. they are
more likely to use a contractor for home reno's. Whilst in Canada they
have more of a can do philosophy.
Peter
Old Dec 4th 2010, 12:31 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gilsland
I miss Canadian Tire,Home Depot and Revi Timber.Sure they have Halfords and
B&Q. But they pale in comparison.I use to spend hours in those stores
looking at tools and home renovation stuff. I think here in the U.K. they are
more likely to use a contractor for home reno's. Whilst in Canada they
have more of a can do philosophy.
Peter
And there I was thinking the opposite - Britain being a nation of DYIers and the Canadians getting in the contractors - even for painting the house
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:20 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
And there I was thinking the opposite - Britain being a nation of DYIers and the Canadians getting in the contractors - even for painting the house
Interesting.

A lot of Canadian houses have wooden siding and that needs painting on a regular basis -- hence the artificial stuff! -- and if it's a 2 storey house, it's not a job for most people, plus it's a long job. I don't think many British houses have exteriors that need painting. The roofs also have to be replaced. Again, not a job most homeowners want to do, though I've had neighbours who did. So contractors for outside work.

Inside, however, the houses are nearly all wood construction, which is really easy to bash around if you're that type. Cut a hole in a wall or take one out -- just make sure you don't affect the load bearing and go for it. Make a window into French doors. No problem. We did that. Fix up a basement with internal walls etc. Quite easy really, and lots of people do minor jobs themselves.

A brick, stone, or block house is very different inside. It's a challenge to even feed some wires and such.

So that's perhaps the difference.

Bev
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:32 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.

A lot of Canadian houses have wooden siding and that needs painting on a regular basis -- hence the artificial stuff! -- and if it's a 2 storey house, it's not a job for most people, plus it's a long job. I don't think many British houses have exteriors that need painting. The roofs also have to be replaced. Again, not a job most homeowners want to do, though I've had neighbours who did. So contractors for outside work.

Inside, however, the houses are nearly all wood construction, which is really easy to bash around if you're that type. Cut a hole in a wall or take one out -- just make sure you don't affect the load bearing and go for it. Make a window into French doors. No problem. We did that. Fix up a basement with internal walls etc. Quite easy really, and lots of people do minor jobs themselves.

A brick, stone, or block house is very different inside. It's a challenge to even feed some wires and such.

So that's perhaps the difference.

Bev
I was talking about painting the inside of the house not the outside. I know very few people that do their own interior painting, they always get some one in, including things like finishing basements, bathrooms, well anything really. When we say we are doing these things our selves it's always met with a suprised, Oh at least you'll save some money! I suppose the difference could be living in oil rich alberta?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say the snow, but recent events would make that sound silly

But seriously, I miss the decent skiing being only an hour away. I've not had the heart to unpack my skis since I've been back.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:36 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I always did just about everything myself. I was too cheap to pay to have anything done that I could figure out how to do myself. I even laid two interlocking brick driveways. Now that was a chore, especially having to move almost 60 tons of crusher run for the base of one of them. I must have been crazy !
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

gilsland is an unknown quantity at this point

Things I miss about Canada,long hot summers.
Hiking in Golden Ears Park.Hiking in the Rockies.
Riding my motorbike to the Okanagan/Vancouver island,and going for a cool dip
in the thousands of lakes available.
Since returning to the UK I've been disappointed in the cool wet summers,
A lot of the UK roads are superb motorbike roads,the rain just takes the
edge of it. Hiking is ok here,a little crowded,but ok.
Peter
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:39 am
Just hanging around

I was talking about painting the inside of the house not the outside. I know very few people that do their own interior painting, they always get some one in, including things like finishing basements, bathrooms, well anything really. When we say we are doing these things our selves it's always met with a suprised, Oh at least you'll save some money! I suppose the difference could be living in oil rich alberta?
I've heard Albertans are different! Someone told me that in Calgary, people really want a new house. Don't like "used" ones at all.

Everywhere we've lived, among our friends, people have always done their inside painting, plus smaller renovations. We seem to have known a lot who loved to tackle big jobs.

It's a big country, with lots of differences.

Bev
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:11 pm

I've heard Albertans are different! Someone told me that in Calgary, people really want a new house. Don't like "used" ones at all.

Everywhere we've lived, among our friends, people have always done their inside painting, plus smaller renovations. We seem to have known a lot who loved to tackle big jobs.

It's a big country, with lots of differences.

Bev
There is a BIG obsession in building a new house, living in it a year and then building a new, new house - me? I couldn't be doing with all that moving
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by reeni
We are heading back Feb 6th from Canada ....curious to those who have returned from here what do you miss? if anything?
I spent 23 years in Oakville and Georgetown, Ontario so no one can accuse me of not giving it a good shot. I find there is much more to see and do in England (just look at the excellent "Postcards from England" thread), you can only visit Casa Loma, CN Tower, Niagara Falls, and Niagara-on-the-Lake so many times.

If anything, I probably miss the long and hot Southern Ontario summers, short flights to the Caribbean in winter, and bulk purchase items in the stores. I suppose it's all about pros and cons everywhere, I find much depends on what job you can get. Otherwise, it is hard to find anything really bad about Canada.

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 10th 2010 at 9:43 am.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:29 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think people are people the world over - some like DIY and some, like me, call a professional just to change a light fitting

I left Canada 14 years ago to come to the US. Can't honestly say I miss much about it except long summer nights at the Skydome and 967-1111 pizza pizza - do they still even exist?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Bev
That's because the houses deteriorate quickly due to the build quality and climate. After 5 years, the smart ones move on again before they have any major expenditure. One thing I do not miss about Canada is the maintenance intensive houses.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by johnh009
That's because the houses deteriorate quickly due to the build quality and climate. After 5 years, the smart ones move on again before they have any major expenditure. One thing I do not miss about Canada is the maintenance intensive houses.

Our house was built in the early '80's. The previous owners put new shingles on (apparently they blew away - the whole lot in one go, on a windy night, so the insurance replaced those too,), at some point we think they upgraded the kitchen - it needs doing to our tastes and the bathrooms are the same - but that's a personal choice thing too, The windows could do with upgrading to but again there is no hurry for that. Other than that, it's solid.

Maybe you just bought bad houses?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.