What do you miss most?

Old Feb 9th 2001, 1:03 am
timiny74

Hi, To all non Americans what do you miss most about your own
> country? What would you like to see more of here? Anything annoy you here in the States
> you whine about it? This is a bit of fun.
>
I miss: Being able to walk places and not be flattened by the impossible traffic Proper
town centres and high streets Waitrose curries ginger snaps Sainsbury's stoneground loaf
The saturday Guardian 4 decent TV channels and a TV guide that you can use the NHS and
being known as a physio and not a PT milk in bottles Radio 4! Decent news and not the
crazy stuff that's put out on the telly here Bran flakes and Weetabix made with european
wheat so they taste proper 5 weeks of holiday Sharwood's rogan josh curry paste custard
powder the countryside Debenhams I thank you. Nicola

Old Feb 9th 2001, 1:27 am
dlangholff

Yes, Keely,

Yet another reason to appreciate the 'net....along with keeping me (and I assume countless
others here) in touch with their mates ) I think it has to be a great way to keep up to
date with things back home once you are here.

Dave

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> Yes Dave I agree with you.
>
> The US tends to not be interested in much outside the US unless it really effects them.
> Australia really does give a very good coverage of world events... Australians I guess
> demand this from there news coverage. I mean I am living here in Portland, OR and just
> before I left Australia they had news coverage on the Sea Otters that live in the Oregon
> Zoo and how the female otter had given birth helping the population of this species. Now
> thats news coverage (LOL)
>
> Anyway......I think I can live with getting my world news off radio
and
> the internet......(LOL)
>
> Keely

Old Feb 9th 2001, 2:09 am
Quinkman

<< > I miss: Being able to walk places and not be flattened by the impossible traffic
Proper town centres and high streets Waitrose curries ginger snaps Sainsbury's stoneground
loaf The saturday Guardian 4 decent TV channels and a TV guide that you can use the NHS
and being known as a physio and not a PT milk in bottles Radio 4! Decent news and not the
crazy stuff that's put out on the telly here Bran flakes and Weetabix made with european
wheat so they taste proper 5 weeks of holiday Sharwood's rogan josh curry paste custard
powder the countryside Debenhams I thank you. Nicola

>>
Gee, if I missd all that, I'd never leave.

Old Feb 9th 2001, 3:19 am
Judith41

Canadian (Nova Scotian) now living in Texas...

Things I miss

Tim Horton's, good canned tuna, clean air, uncrowded highways, clean city streets, the
beauty of the ocean, a soft snowfall and most of all my family and friends.

Things I don't like about the US (Texas)

Crazy drivers, guns, really crappy weather (thunderstorms and tornadoes), polluted
air,lack of good seafood, dust, dust and more dust.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~ ~Two
Poets in Love~ http://home.swbell.net/twopoets/Index.html

ICQ# 3484601
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*

Old Feb 9th 2001, 3:27 am
Melvyn

[email protected] wrote ...

>Radio 4!

If you go to www.bbc.co.uk you can listen to all BBC national radio live, over the
internet. You'll need the Realplayer plugin for your system. You can also get BBC TV news,
and some other programs from the same site.

Old Feb 9th 2001, 5:19 am
Kellie

That blows me away. It almost seems TOO easy!

Old Feb 9th 2001, 5:47 am
carol

I miss saturday lunches with my best friend of 25 years.. mom, dad, grandma who is 95, my
brother and bootsy driving to work at 430am and watching the sun rise over the
mountains..the faint smell of salt in the air...White Spot..mmm...sweet chile
sauce...Major Chutney restaurant..mmm..all kinds of ethnic foods...being a really great
ethnic food cook cause i don't have any great ingredients...fresh seafood right off the
boat..and what the hell is a ticket for dinner...?...i'm told its what i call a bill...
Carol - Vancouver

> Hi, To all non Americans what do you miss most about your own country? What would you
> like to see more of here? Anything annoy you here in the States you whine about it? This
> is a bit of fun.
>

Old Feb 9th 2001, 11:53 am
zerububble

Hi, To all non Americans what do you miss most about your own
> country? What would you like to see more of here? Anything annoy you here in the States
> you whine about it? This is a bit of fun.
>

The only thing keeping me here is my job (SO much to learn - just milking it for the
experience) and the fact I have NO money, I couldn't give a rats arse if they wanted
to deport - except I couldn't stop-over in the US if I decide to take a trip anywhere
for 10 years.

Other than that there is nothing here that I couldn't have at home, and a whole lot
more I can't.

Is there any way to stay for say 3-5 years if you divorce under conditional permenant
resident status (with an employers petition?)

Old Feb 9th 2001, 12:17 pm
Andy Platt

Proper town centres and high streets

Good call - Reston Town Center doesn't quite cut it.

> Bran flakes and Weetabix made with european wheat so they taste proper

Huh - I haven't noticed that weetabix tastes different. I'll have to remember to do a
taste comparison sometime!

> Sharwood's rogan josh curry paste

I think you can get this as an Indian grocers.

> 5 weeks of holiday

I still get this ... well, 4 weeks plus flexi-time which easily adds another week!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Feb 9th 2001, 1:57 pm
Betastar

Now, Raleigh may be the capitol of North Carolina, but its hardly a thriving metropolis.
Yet we still get:

> I miss:

> ginger snaps

> milk in bottles

> Decent news and not the crazy stuff that's put out on the telly here

(It's called NPR - National Public Radio)

> custard powder the countryside

Well, maybe not the same countryside.

Betastar

Old Feb 10th 2001, 2:18 am
timiny74

Nicola wrote the list but I'll comment for her
>
> Now, Raleigh may be the capitol of North Carolina, but its hardly a thriving metropolis.
> Yet we still get:
>
> > I miss:
>
> > ginger snaps
I asked her about this, apparently the ginger snaps taste different?

>
> > milk in bottles
In all my life, I've never seen milk sold in bottles except when I went to the UK and
certainly not brought to your door by the milk man on his milk float.

>
> > Decent news and not the crazy stuff that's put out on the telly here
>
> (It's called NPR - National Public Radio)
Yes, we both agree NPR is great, I think she was referring to the TV news. Fox5 DC is
particularly horrible. I heard on NPR, ironically enough, about a news anchor that tried
to do "straight news", not the local fluff crap you get so often and after 8 months she
had to give up her job because nobody wanted to watch it. What is wrong with those people?
I'm glad that we get BBCWorld every so often and that we can listen to NPR, I guess that's
why we're members.
>
> > custard powder the countryside
>
> Well, maybe not the same countryside.
>
I think this was a bit of a dig about where we live right now, nowhere near the
countryside, the English green countryside is quite beautiful, though.

Oh, Betastar, I think you asked a long time ago about the German language show that
comes on here. I think it's on a kind of local- access channel but it is called Fokus
Deutsche. -Matt

Old Feb 10th 2001, 3:07 pm
Betastar

the list but I'll comment for her
> >
> > Now, Raleigh may be the capitol of North Carolina, but its hardly a thriving
> > metropolis. Yet we still get:
> >
> > > I miss:
> >
> > > ginger snaps
> I asked her about this, apparently the ginger snaps taste different?

Ah - gotcha. Like Clausthaler Beer tasting different.

> > > milk in bottles
> In all my life, I've never seen milk sold in bottles except when I went to the UK and
> certainly not brought to your door by the milk man on his milk float.

I haven't seen a milkman, but I do buy the milk in bottles when I feel especially rich
that day. It's generally more expensive, though part of that is the deposit on the bottle
(I've got a few to return!)

If you can't find bottled milk in your regular grocery store, try a health-food store.

> > Well, maybe not the same countryside.
> >
> I think this was a bit of a dig about where we live right now, nowhere near the
> countryside, the English green countryside is quite beautiful, though.

I feel similarly about Raleigh. Neither beaches nor mountains. We do have a man-made lake
right near where we live that we walk around a few times a week for the exercise, but it
ain't the same.

> Oh, Betastar, I think you asked a long time ago about the German language show that
> comes on here. I think it's on a kind of local- access channel but it is called Fokus
> Deutsche.

Thanks =) Or should I say "Danke!" (I told Reinhard just 2 days ago that from now on our
walks around the lake will be done auf Deutsch - I'm not getting enough practice!)

Betastar

> -Matt

Old Feb 11th 2001, 12:40 pm
jb

[ ... ]
> In all my life, I've never seen milk sold in bottles except when I went to the UK and
> certainly not brought to your door by the milk man on his milk float.

I assume you're American. Anyway, I'm American and we used to get milk delivered in
bottles directly to our door when I was a child in Georgia in the early 70's. This only
lasted a couple of years as I recall.

Old Feb 11th 2001, 2:19 pm
Jonathan_ATC

There are hundreds of towns all across America that STILL get the milk delivered to the
door in bottles. Even here in Tallahassee. Just because you choose to buy your milk in a
store, do you know what you neighbors do? I doubt it. About 10 of my 70 neighbors get
their milk and even meat delivered daily.

While reading this thread something hit me that people have not picked up on. People base
their thoughts and feelings about America solely on their immediate surroundings. They
then pick on a few things that people only in their area do, or they comment about some
food they THINK is not available to them. I spend a lot of time in the grocery store. Most
everything mentioned is available here. Could it be because Tallahassee is so
cosmopolitan? Hahaha! What a joke. No, it is because these items are available anywhere if
the customer just mentions the product to the store manager. Even Vegemite and Marmite are
plentiful here at all the chains. I can get unpasteurized cheeses and curds. I get German
cookies. I get everything I need an more. (I have a cheese tooth and love the varieties of
cheeses available here in America. We get fresh baked bread, that despite others claims to
the contrary, tastes just as good as what I had in France and England. Next time you want
to complain about the bread, try your store's bakery. They are baking bread there daily.
Of course the bread in the aisle is not "fresh" today. However, until bread molds, it is
good for eating.

America is TRULY a melting pot. Nowhere else in the world can you find so many cultures
under one roof. However, to base your opinions on America solely on what is around you
where you live is not fair. America is really, really big. The way they do things in Soho
is not the same as Briton. Same goes for here.

I understand about being homesick. I have move probably more times than most of you brush
your teeth. One thing that has helped me over the years is to immediately submerse myself
in the culture around me. Learn the local customs, learn the local dialects, learn the
local foods. I could go on and on about how I can't get one item, and ignore all the new
items that surround me. However, that would be self-detrimental as we all need to move on.

When I go to a foreign country, I do NOT look for the nearest MacDonald's. What you all
are doing is basically going to a new and exciting place and holding it up to standards
that do not matter anymore.

If the bread is too stale, buy it from the bakery like a normal person. If you have a
special bread you like, give the recipe to the bakery, they WILL bake it.. I know because
we have done this.

Above all, remember that America is your HOME NOW. In 5 years you will be homesick for
here when you travel. I have lived in many places in my life, I have learned over the
years only to call where I am Home.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's Fiance Visa Page
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For reliable
advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

> >
> [ ... ]
> > In all my life, I've never seen milk sold in bottles except when I went to the UK and
> > certainly not brought to your door by the milk man on his milk float.
>
> I assume you're American. Anyway, I'm American and we used to get milk delivered in
> bottles directly to our door when I was a child in Georgia in the early 70's. This only
> lasted a couple of years as I recall.

Old Feb 11th 2001, 2:56 pm
Betastar

First, let me say I agree that you can't judge America by just where you live. Each area
is very different.

However, there are some comments I'd like to make about some of the things you say. (IOW -
Tallahassee is better than Raleigh)

> I have a cheese tooth and love the varieties of cheeses available here in America.

We also have "cheese teeth", and while there are a LOT of cheeses available to us, they
are only available at certain stores (generally out of our way) and at twice the price we
can get them at the regular shops in Bad Ischl, Austria. (Hardly a teeming metropolis)

> We get fresh baked bread, that despite others claims to the contrary, tastes just as
> good as what I had in France and England. Next time you want to complain about the
> bread, try your store's bakery. They are baking bread there daily.

Then again, you are lucky. I once asked a baker in the local grocery why they only make
breads with soft crusts. He said he used to bake hard-crust breads, but nobody bought them
because they thought the harder crust meant it was stale =(

Again, I can get good bread, but only at limited shops which are generally very out
of the way.

> Of course the bread in the aisle is not "fresh" today. However, until bread molds, it is
> good for eating.

What do you do with the bread that can be used as a hammer?

> However, to base your opinions on America solely on what is around you where you live is
> not fair. America is really, really big. The way they do things in Soho is not the same
> as Briton. Same goes for here.

IAWJ totally here. But I think it's still fair to say what you miss as related to where
you used to live and where you live now. Yes, you can get just about anything in America
(sometimes I REALLY miss NY City!) but I would say that in most places in the US that are
not cities of some sort, it's pretty tough to find most of the ethnic goodies.

> I understand about being homesick. I have move probably more times than most of you
> brush your teeth.

More than once a month? That's a lot!

> One thing that has helped me over the years is to immediately submerse myself in the
> culture around me. Learn the local customs, learn the local dialects, learn the local
> foods. I could go on and on about how I can't get one item, and ignore all the new items
> that surround me. However, that would be self-detrimental as we all need to move on.

Yeah, but still when I'm in Austria I miss Bisquick and certain feminine supplies

> When I go to a foreign country, I do NOT look for the nearest MacDonald's.

You should ALWAYS locate the nearest American Embassy when you travel abroad.

MacDonald's is always good for a bathroom.

Betastar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.