What do you miss most?

Old Feb 8th 2001, 3:18 am
Alex Jackson

Evan and Sheila wrote:

> Only 5 hrs away from your family?!?!?!?!? HOly cow! You've probably only got
> what.. a month or two till you can apply for AP? Since you have 90 days in which
> to get married and you can immediately file.. I'd die for 5 hrs away from my
> family... I'd drive home every weekend.. Heck, I'm sure there's people on this
> group that would die for the 2 day drive I'd have to go see mine.
>
> Cheers, Evan

Actually I have been here for just over 3 yrs and had to wait 2 yrs before doing AOS (no
funds due to unexpected (premature) twins and a high risk pregnancy) . I do not have the
advantage of AP. I also did not do a K-1. In that time my mother and sister have passed
away (2 weeks apart). I am waiting to go back and get some closure.

But it was a choice I made when I decided to get married here. I am not complaining per se
- would just like to be able to go back and visit. Should be soon though - just waiting on
the interview date - all the fingerprinting is done.

Alex

Old Feb 8th 2001, 3:19 am
chrisjt

I'm a USC and my fiancee (soon to be wife in just 3 days) is from Kazakhstan.

I miss REAL kazakh shashlik. It's like a lamb kabob with a taste that's uncomparable to US
kabobs. What is that sauce they use in Kaz?!

My fiancee misses her family and friends the most. Thank goodness for Internet emails!
She also miss going to the market (they call it "bazaar") everyday to buy food for the
nights dinner.

Old Feb 8th 2001, 10:29 am
Kellie

We were waiting on the birth certificate for both the forms AND his passport. When he
applied for his passport (back in August), the woman at the court house said he wouldn't
need it. Well, yes he did.

He applied for a copy by mail in early October and then again online in early November and
neither of them has turned up. It's becoming a really bad joke.

Do you have the same chances with the spouse visa as you do with the K1?

The reason I ask is that someone from a website told me I would never get a K1 because I
have a 6yo daughter. Is that true?

Kell

Old Feb 8th 2001, 12:13 pm
Andy Platt

The problem I have is that the "strict attitude" stems from a prohibition mentality and
that really drives me nuts sometimes.

Case in point at our wedding. The barman had a go at me because he'd spotted my nephew
having a drink - I really couldn't care less: He's 18 which in any civilized country is
old enough to drink, his mother got it for him and, hello, it was our wedding! Contrast to
my sister's wedding in England where they gave little glasses of champers to my
brother-in-law's cousins (12 &
13) because it's not right that they couldn't join in on the toast. It also drives me
crazy when some doofus wants to see my ID (I'm 32) to buy a drink - I look as close to
21 as Elizabeth Taylor (OK, not that bad). I just laugh at them now (which really
freaks a few of them out!) - Deana gets so pissed at me for doing that but really,
it's not that difficult to see I'm old enough to buy a drink!

And why does everyone look daggers at my wife if she wants to have a glass of wine with
dinner - geez, in the UK the doctors will often recommend that pregnant women drink a
bottle of Guiness a day. People try to force feta cheese on her (not good for pregnant
women) but if she so much as looks at a drink they freak out.

And don't get me started on why there are so many alcohol related deaths on campus.

I do miss having a drink at lunchtimes on occasion - and yes, Friday afternoons could
be a bit of a washout sometimes. But the attitude at work there was so much better than
here (and I work in a very relaxed company by US standards) so the productivity was
just the same.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> In article <[email protected]>,

> > What I miss most about dear old blighty: Beer, the sense of humor
> (humour!)
> > and a more relaxed and liberal attitude (particuarly with regards to alcohol) are
> > probably the biggest things. >
>
> Well, I am totally on the other side of the fence on this one. The strict attitude
> towards alcohol and smoking is a blessing as far as I am concerned. I don't mind having
> a drink from time to time but back home, people drink (a lot) during lunch (and
> sometimes not even at lunchtime) on workdays. I wish I could work eight hour days like I
> did in Europe, and have a month of vacation time...but I guess I've been here so long
> that I adjusted (since 1993), because the only thing I really miss are my family and
> friends.
>
> Alena

Old Feb 8th 2001, 12:27 pm
Jonathan_ATC

y'old drunk, you!

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's Fiance Visa Page
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For reliable
advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

> The problem I have is that the "strict attitude" stems from a prohibition mentality and
> that really drives me nuts sometimes.
>
> Case in point at our wedding. The barman had a go at me because he'd
spotted
> my nephew having a drink - I really couldn't care less: He's 18 which in
any
> civilized country is old enough to drink, his mother got it for him and, hello, it was
> our wedding! Contrast to my sister's wedding in England
where
> they gave little glasses of champers to my brother-in-law's cousins (12 &
> 13) because it's not right that they couldn't join in on the toast. It
also
> drives me crazy when some doofus wants to see my ID (I'm 32) to buy a drink - I look as
> close to 21 as Elizabeth Taylor (OK, not that bad). I
just
> laugh at them now (which really freaks a few of them out!) - Deana gets so pissed at me
> for doing that but really, it's not that difficult to see I'm old enough to buy a drink!
>
> And why does everyone look daggers at my wife if she wants to have a glass of wine with
> dinner - geez, in the UK the doctors will often recommend
that
> pregnant women drink a bottle of Guiness a day. People try to force feta cheese on her
> (not good for pregnant women) but if she so much as looks at
a
> drink they freak out.
>
> And don't get me started on why there are so many alcohol related deaths
on
> campus.
>
> I do miss having a drink at lunchtimes on occasion - and yes, Friday afternoons could be
> a bit of a washout sometimes. But the attitude at work there was so much better than
> here (and I work in a very relaxed company
by
> US standards) so the productivity was just the same.
>
> Andy.
>
> --
> I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > > What I miss most about dear old blighty: Beer, the sense of humor
> > (humour!)
> > > and a more relaxed and liberal attitude (particuarly with regards to alcohol) are
> > > probably the biggest things. >
> >
> > Well, I am totally on the other side of the fence on this one. The strict attitude
> > towards alcohol and smoking is a blessing as far as I am concerned. I don't mind
> > having a drink from time to time but back home, people drink (a lot) during lunch (and
> > sometimes not even at lunchtime) on workdays. I wish I could work eight hour days like
> > I did in Europe, and have a month of vacation time...but I guess I've been here so
> > long that I adjusted (since 1993), because the only thing I really miss are my family
> > and friends.
> >
> > Alena
> >
> >

Old Feb 8th 2001, 12:36 pm
ms_bhon

Someone mentioned to lack of adequate world news here in the US, that our "world news" is
mostly about America. It was either in this thread or another... I thought I would
mention, that at least here in Baltimore, the local PBS station has started to run the BBC
World News evry week night at 11:00 pm. If your local PBS station does not carry it,
perhaps you could email them and suggest it. (Especially if its around "fund drive" time
and you make a contribution ) Beth

Old Feb 8th 2001, 1:36 pm
alenac

The problem I have is that the "strict attitude" stems from a prohibition
> mentality and that really drives me nuts sometimes.
>
OK, I do understand it better now. I was in the States for one year of undergrad college
and it drove me nuts how much kids drunk, just because they weren't legally allowed to
(OK, it was not just because, but I believe that was a big part of it). Back home the
drinking age is 18 and we did not drink nearly as much in college as people do here.

Alena

Old Feb 8th 2001, 1:44 pm
tomsgirl2000

Hi Beth

That was me who made the mention about lack of world news. I am a big fan of PBS
(Praire Home Companion being my *FAV* show) but instead of the TV I listen to the radio
to get my news.

My guy can tune into BBC anytime........ Radio is a wonderful for that!!!!!!!!!!!

But you rarely hear anything about my home country (Australia) so I have a site I can go
online to and check out whats going on back home!

I still think it's pretty poor however that there just doesn't seem to be that much
interest in the world outside the US unless it somehow involves them being....oil
prices...Iraq....or whatever else they think is effecting the US in some direct or in
direct way. I think I was spoilt in Australia.....that or we don't have a hell of a lot
going on there (LOL)!

OH!!!!!!!! Tell a lie I heard about Australia lastnight on the news......"The Tom Cruise
Nicole Kidman BREAKUP" *GASP*!!!!!!!!!!

(LOL)

Keely

Old Feb 8th 2001, 1:51 pm
tomsgirl2000

Oh I forgot something!!!!!!!!

Make a contribution with what????? I have not a cracker to my name (LOL) We only make
contribution to the INS in this household (LOL)!

Keely

Old Feb 8th 2001, 2:01 pm
Jonathan_ATC

How much interest do most countries' people have in other countries? Not too much from
what I have seen.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's Fiance Visa Page
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For reliable
advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

> Hi Beth
>
>
> That was me who made the mention about lack of world news. I am a big fan of PBS (Praire
> Home Companion being my *FAV* show) but instead of the TV I listen to the radio to get
> my news.
>
> My guy can tune into BBC anytime........ Radio is a wonderful for that!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> But you rarely hear anything about my home country (Australia) so I have a site I can go
> online to and check out whats going on back home!
>
> I still think it's pretty poor however that there just doesn't seem to be that much
> interest in the world outside the US unless it somehow involves them being....oil
> prices...Iraq....or whatever else they think is effecting the US in some direct or in
> direct way. I think I was spoilt in Australia.....that or we don't have a hell of a lot
> going on there (LOL)!
>
> OH!!!!!!!! Tell a lie I heard about Australia lastnight on the news......"The Tom Cruise
> Nicole Kidman BREAKUP" *GASP*!!!!!!!!!!
>
> (LOL)
>
> Keely

Old Feb 8th 2001, 3:35 pm
dlangholff

I'd have to say that my friends living in Europe are much more conversant in world events
than in the US...I think being the large country, and still powerful in many ways,
including culturally, that we can get away with ignoring a lot of the details that are
important to others....its always been interesting seeing how different and varied the
viewpoints outside the US are...

Just my two cent's worth...

Dave

> How much interest do most countries' people have in other countries?
Not
> too much from what I have seen.
>
> --
> Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/

Old Feb 8th 2001, 7:52 pm
tomsgirl2000

Yes Dave I agree with you.

The US tends to not be interested in much outside the US unless it really effects them.
Australia really does give a very good coverage of world events... Australians I guess
demand this from there news coverage. I mean I am living here in Portland, OR and just
before I left Australia they had news coverage on the Sea Otters that live in the Oregon
Zoo and how the female otter had given birth helping the population of this species. Now
thats news coverage (LOL)

Anyway......I think I can live with getting my world news off radio and the
internet......(LOL)

Keely

Old Feb 8th 2001, 9:55 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Kellie wrote:
> We were waiting on the birth certificate for both the forms AND his passport. When he
> applied for his passport (back in August), the woman at the court house said he wouldn't
> need it. Well, yes he did. He applied for a copy by mail in early October and then again
> online in early November and neither of them has turned up. It's becoming a really bad
> joke. Do you have the same chances with the spouse visa as you do with the K1? The
> reason I ask is that someone from a website told me I would never get a K1 because I
> have a 6yo daughter. Is that true?
>
ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL BUNK!!! Oz consulates are easy to deal with, your husband would only
need to file I-130 for both of you at the I-130 initial interview...as soon as he can get
a passport and you can get the consulate to send you the packet 3 forms and get an
interview scheduled, and if you can get a marriage license request going, you can be in
the US in less than 3 months...fully adjusted to conditional permanent resident status:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/dcf.html See the Australia link.

alvena

Old Feb 8th 2001, 10:51 pm
mariakitty

Someone mentioned to lack of adequate world news here in the US, that
> our "world news" is mostly about America. It was either in this thread or another... I
> thought I would mention, that at least here in Baltimore, the local PBS station has
> started to run the BBC World News evry week night at 11:00 pm.

We subscribe to BBC America through digital cable and BBC World News airs several times a
day, live via London. It's great! In fact BBC America is one channel we simply could not
live without. I'm a nut about England and my husband is from New Zealand, so it's our
favorite channel.

That's great if you can see BBC News on PBS. Our local stations doesn't carry it just yet,
but we'll keep looking for it

Old Feb 9th 2001, 12:49 am
Peggy

It seems to me that most Europeans know more about American history than most Americans
do, too, which is quite sad. Peggy

[email protected] wrote:

> I'd have to say that my friends living in Europe are much more conversant in world
> events than in the US...I think being the large country, and still powerful in many
> ways, including culturally, that we can get away with ignoring a lot of the details that
> are important to others....its always been interesting seeing how different and varied
> the viewpoints outside the US are...
>
> Just my two cent's worth...
>
> Dave
>

> > How much interest do most countries' people have in other countries?
> Not
> > too much from what I have seen.
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.