Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do You Miss About the UK?

What do You Miss About the UK?

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice
Default Re: What do You Miss About the UK?

Crumpets, Special K with red berries, Bisto gravy, Milky Bars, jacket potatoes, parsnips - mostly food!

Also was nice to go for a long walk and not be soaked in sweat after 10 minutes.

Overall though I much prefer it here, healthcare is second to none, food is fantastic (but still miss my few favourites) and it is nice to have constant warm weather but could do with a little less humidity.

I will be coming home mid April for good and I'm quite sad to leave here as loved every minute of my 2 + years but on the other hand I am looking forward to a bit of normality! People here are interesting to say the least!

Last edited by Scrasey2; Feb 23rd 2013 at 2:42 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

omaradam is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss listening to the black birds in the evening or early morning. I miss being able to talk to strangers without them thinking i am a crazy person( i have lived in Sweden for 20yrs, you do not talk to someone you do not know), most of all i miss my family and being able to pop round my mums or sisters for a chat. Only 8 more months to go.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
I miss the feeling of having a "collective" experience.
OK it may be somewhat of a myth but when something like the Olympics opening ceremony is on you feel as if the whole country is watching it at the same time.

I miss that so much.

(And the Olympics coverage was really really bad here in the US)
I agree, I miss that too...I always feel like I'm on the outside looking in here. I just feel disconnected with things here.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by omaradam
I miss listening to the black birds in the evening or early morning. I miss being able to talk to strangers without them thinking i am a crazy person( i have lived in Sweden for 20yrs, you do not talk to someone you do not know), most of all i miss my family and being able to pop round my mums or sisters for a chat. Only 8 more months to go.

I totally agree when I was home last month I loved waking up to the birds singing - maybe the birds here are just like the people here they dont want to talk lol I miss being out and about and people just randomly chatting to you. Here in upstate NY I can go a whole day out and no one will talk to me. It is a very lonely place I am so homesick today so everything seems 100 times worse than it actually is.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am always amazed when people on BE say British people are cold and unfriendly, strangers there always seem happy to chat. I do miss that.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

I was only 12 when I left but my father was a baker... so I miss opening a hot muffin (dinner plate size) and slathering butter and jam on it.

I also miss eccles cakes, little hovis loaves, tizer and hot sarsparilla.

I miss the food!!! even if some of it was rubbish.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandianna
I totally agree when I was home last month I loved waking up to the birds singing - maybe the birds here are just like the people here they dont want to talk lol I miss being out and about and people just randomly chatting to you. Here in upstate NY I can go a whole day out and no one will talk to me. It is a very lonely place I am so homesick today so everything seems 100 times worse than it actually is.
I chat with someone at random every time I go out. However I also did that in Australia and Germany, so I don't think it is especially a UK thing. I put it down to an individual being friendly and chatty.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

The humour- I have often been told I am "flippant" over here, they dont get my humour at all.

The infrastructure-works!!

Popping down the road for a cup of tea with family!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...the dawn chorus, there's nothing quite like it here. I love that Beatles song, 'Blackbird' as the birds singing always reminds me of being a kid and waking up to the birds singing.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:32 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I am always amazed when people on BE say British people are cold and unfriendly, strangers there always seem happy to chat. I do miss that.
My Scottish friend, who lives in Canada, was visiting Edinburgh with her Canadian son. They were waiting for a bus and my friend was chatting away to the lady next to her, about the price of mince etc. When the bus came, my friend got on the bus with her son.

He said, "Where do you know her from?"
She said, "I don't know her"

He was amazed that they had just had this long conversation without knowing each other. My experience has been similar to others on here. chatting to strangers is commonplace in the UK. I think the car culture and front drive garages plays a part in the Cdn experience.

Also, I remember in cafe's that you would quite happily share a table with a stranger, when the place was busy. Only once did that ever happen to me in Canada - in Tim Horton's.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:28 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omaradam
I miss listening to the black birds in the evening or early morning.
Me too! I miss ALL the noisy birds in my back garden in England, the doves with their gentle hoots, the grackles gabbling away endlessly, all the tweets & twitters that were going on all day long, even in the dead of winter.

My garden here in the US is too quiet! Just a few chickadees now and again that break the silence. I'm hoping spring will be noisier.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:53 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Breezy summer days with the wind rustling through the trees...football...pubs...football...going into town...football...going to the beach...football...driving a car with a manual gearbox..oh and did i mention football
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
I can "get me a bit of decent crumpet" from Sprouts and Traders Joes. Just had a couple in fact..I
I've not tried these myself but I hear they're well worth the effort.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/crumpets_93122
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Breezy summer days with the wind rustling through the trees...football...pubs...football...going into town...football...going to the beach...football...driving a car with a manual gearbox..oh and did i mention football
We are having a rare breezy, rainy day here in Florida, and I absolutely love it And though I did not take advantage of going to too many matches when I had the chance, I must say I miss cricket (or maybe that's because they played it on Downton Abby)
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

omaradam is an unknown quantity at this point

I always remember after i had lived in Sweden for 15 years , it was early morning and my shopping bag broke, as I was one of the only early birds out there was nobody about, i started to pick my shopping up. A lady came past and asked if i was ok, Yes no worries i said, she left.Then after 5 minutes she came back took all her things from a plastic bag and gave it to me.I remember crying on my way home because it was the first time a random person had spoken to me and was so kind.When i go home for holidays to England people chat to me all the time and give advise and help they are total strangers.
I come from the midlands the old shoe industry, one old shop owner said to me once that in our town we were all so friendly because we were all factory workers together years ago and that openness has just carried on.
I just want to return to my roots,the older i get the more i want to go home.
Ok I have been rambling on a bit.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.