Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do you miss about NZ?

What do you miss about NZ?

Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss about NZ?

Originally Posted by BEVS
I hope you are well, following your travels, CC.
Thanks BEVS. I appreciate though.

am just ok... ...surprisingly, have not received any treatment ... as there's no "best" solution for me at this time. - way more complicated than I thought... feel a bit disheartened however.

trying to get my life back in order.

Hope you are well BEVs and Thank you.

Last edited by crap coffee; Oct 29th 2010 at 9:00 am.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Did not like it - over hyped. Lovely country side and scenic drives but you can also get that in Britain so hardly a plus. Expensive to live I thought compared to the UK but very good wages in my job sector (health and community sector).

I do not miss NZ and would only go back to drive around the South Island and visit Dunedin which I never got a chance to do.

The Mauri community are rather racist towards Germans for some reason and racist towards English people I noticed - constantly shouting out saying "captain cook go back to your own country" which I thought was funny considering I'm Scottish - not all as I worked with this clientele who were lovely.

Over hyped country that's 8 years behind the UK.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I would miss the coffee and the brunch cafe culture - can be had in UK but not to same extent. Wouldn't miss much else though except perhaps their PR Electoral system.
Forgot two more: the scenery and Wellington on a good day!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:19 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
Did not like it - over hyped. Lovely country side and scenic drives but you can also get that in Britain so hardly a plus. Expensive to live I thought compared to the UK but very good wages in my job sector (health and community sector).

I do not miss NZ and would only go back to drive around the South Island and visit Dunedin which I never got a chance to do.

The Mauri community are rather racist towards Germans for some reason and racist towards English people I noticed - constantly shouting out saying "captain cook go back to your own country" which I thought was funny considering I'm Scottish - not all as I worked with this clientele who were lovely.

Over hyped country that's 8 years behind the UK.
Please explain what over hyped means? The 8 years behind the UK is one hell of a plus Now an Englishman in a Glasgow pub will know the meaning of racist!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

missed beer - dark bitter particulary, and Asahi on tap.

I love beer....
Attached Thumbnails What do you miss about NZ?-4227585.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Nov 6th 2010 at 4:36 am.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

well its the equivalent to mid May here at present and went for a 20 min swim in sea yesterday the deck was too hot to walk on in bare feet ah this is the life!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:01 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
well its the equivalent to mid May here at present and went for a 20 min swim in sea yesterday the deck was too hot to walk on in bare feet ah this is the life!
Thanks.....it's 4C here raining and so so dark soaking wet leaves cover everything and the deck is too cold to walk on........ and the All Blacks are here again to take the micky out of Northern hemisphere rugby!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

richardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rauriki
I would love to leave but OH and kids all settled.
I would miss NOTHING AT ALL , If I was ever lucky enough to get back to UK ! The things I miss about the UK are ENDLESS !!!!!!!
Have you been in N.Z long? We've been here 2 months now and I have hit the homesick phase. Am even missing the crap UK winter weather which seems crazy when all I ever did was moan about it. But I do miss the Yorkshire moors and villages and pubs, and proper stone walls that keep all the noise out. I know we havent been here long and seen everywhere yet, but between Auckland and Yorkshire, Yorkshire is winning at the moment!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:57 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardse
Have you been in N.Z long? We've been here 2 months now and I have hit the homesick phase. Am even missing the crap UK winter weather which seems crazy when all I ever did was moan about it. But I do miss the Yorkshire moors and villages and pubs, and proper stone walls that keep all the noise out. I know we havent been here long and seen everywhere yet, but between Auckland and Yorkshire, Yorkshire is winning at the moment!
Good for you for recognising it as a phase. I'm guessing 2 months is pretty typical and was certainly my experience (by the way I'm talking in reverse, a kiwi going to UK, now going back to NZ next year). Hang on in there, the good weather is coming. I would suggest doing some day trips and getting out and about.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

long story we went in sept 2008 to Wellington although work was great did not like the weather watched too many UK shows got homesick thought family would treat us different back in the UK after 17 months we returned to the UK family well they did not treat us any different I struggled to find any work and ended up living off depleated savings for 7 months during that time we reassessed life and decided while we still had visas to give it another go it cost us a lot of money and heart ache to get them I am now in Auckland somewhere i never thought I would live and loving it!
I still get my down days, butI have moved on from my happy memories in the UK and thats what they are so has everyone else. the 6 month stint home was good but also bad apart from the job situation, my son was continuarly bullied at school, MIL etc were vile.
I still find the strangeness of xmas in the sun etc but 2nd time NZ quirkness does not feel so bad!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

richarse pm me perhaps we can meet up?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Toneye1 has a spectacular aura aboutToneye1 has a spectacular aura aboutToneye1 has a spectacular aura about

I miss the cafes...more importantly Cafe Villa in Ngaio....I miss my friends in NZ so much but am incredibly happy to see my friends in the UK, I also make much more of an effort to see them. I really miss my dentist...that's quite strange really isn't it?

I will never regret our decision to emigrate to NZ, it made me a better person, I can now cook properly (!!!), restore furniture, am not too proud to accept hand me downs for my kids (previously would have been horrified!), I also, upon our return to the UK, went round randomly knocking on doors in my very long street introducing myself to bemused looking strangers who are now friends.

I love having central heating again, and double glazing and when we got our gas and electricity bills my husband and I fell about laughing because it was so cheap. My grocery bill is definitely cheaper here and I forgot about the wonders of child benefit, but I still make lolly cake and my kids still insist on morning tea. I may be a pom but I am a kiwi mum!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Please explain what over hyped means? The 8 years behind the UK is one hell of a plus Now an Englishman in a Glasgow pub will know the meaning of racist!
What do you mean "an Englishman in a Glasgow pub will know the meaning of racist!" ??? there are racist people everywhere, regardless of your nationality or colour of skin; white or black - both are racist towards one another.

over hyped - everything, and I mean everything is what I'm referring to over-hyped. The countryside and scenic views aren't any different to what i can find in Wales, as an example.

8 years behind aint a plus by the way - getting a bank account was a nightmare and it felt like I was in the early 2000s. The systems they use are like those in Britain 8 or 10 years ago.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toneye1
I miss the cafes...more importantly Cafe Villa in Ngaio....I miss my friends in NZ so much but am incredibly happy to see my friends in the UK, I also make much more of an effort to see them. I really miss my dentist...that's quite strange really isn't it?

I will never regret our decision to emigrate to NZ, it made me a better person, I can now cook properly (!!!), restore furniture, am not too proud to accept hand me downs for my kids (previously would have been horrified!), I also, upon our return to the UK, went round randomly knocking on doors in my very long street introducing myself to bemused looking strangers who are now friends.

I love having central heating again, and double glazing and when we got our gas and electricity bills my husband and I fell about laughing because it was so cheap. My grocery bill is definitely cheaper here and I forgot about the wonders of child benefit, but I still make lolly cake and my kids still insist on morning tea. I may be a pom but I am a kiwi mum!

Some very good points there. Especially about our UK culture of people living in a bubble and rather rude here when it comes to being neighbours. My neighbours are so rude they fail to make any conversation with you apart from the elderly couple across from us. And central heating is great, although we had it in Auckland and a fantastic water front view which was brilliant.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean "an Englishman in a Glasgow pub will know the meaning of racist!" ??? there are racist people everywhere, regardless of your nationality or colour of skin; white or black - both are racist towards one another.
Sorry Geez, but have you ever tried to buy a beer in a glasgow pub with an english accent?
over hyped - everything, and I mean everything is what I'm referring to over-hyped. The countryside and scenic views aren't any different to what i can find in Wales, as an example.
Sorry Geez, but having been to both Wales and NZ, I think I'd rather be in Bay of Islands or Queenstown, or a hundred other NZ spots I can think of.
8 years behind aint a plus by the way - getting a bank account was a nightmare and it felt like I was in the early 2000s. The systems they use are like those in Britain 8 or 10 years ago.
Sorry Geez, but that's the whole point. NZ is NZ, it's not the UK, if you want it to be like the UK ....well live in the UK. Want an NZ Bank Account....Hmm Why cant you open a NZ account in the UK? I think HSBC will transfer your account with no problems....apart from the excahnge rate of course!

Last edited by TheArmChairDetective; Jan 19th 2011 at 9:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.