British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   what did you expect???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/what-did-you-expect-572209/)

bev1 Nov 10th 2008 4:59 am

what did you expect????
 
Hi All

Only been in Perth for nearly 3 months and already know in deep down that i will go HOME, one day

What is it I/We expected that we dont like.

I actually think the place is beautifull, theres lots to do when it's not raining but I just dont know what it was that I expected.

We've answered the negatives Q's about the Uk and yes it has problems but they actually never effected us.

Answers please

northernbird Nov 10th 2008 5:02 am

Re: what did you expect????
 

Originally Posted by bev1 (Post 6957528)
Hi All

Only been in Perth for nearly 3 months and already know in deep down that i will go HOME, one day

What is it I/We expected that we dont like.

I actually think the place is beautifull, theres lots to do when it's not raining but I just dont know what it was that I expected.

We've answered the negatives Q's about the Uk and yes it has problems but they actually never effected us.

Answers please

Some places just don't feel like home, Perth obviously doesn't to you. Some people are just too British to live overseas, some people don't like change and struggle to settle. Enjoy what you do like and make plans to return, it gets harder the longer you are here.

Notts_bloke Nov 10th 2008 5:11 am

Re: what did you expect????
 

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 6957533)
Some places just don't feel like home, Perth obviously doesn't to you. Some people are just too British to live overseas, some people don't like change and struggle to settle. Enjoy what you do like and make plans to return, it gets harder the longer you are here.

I don't think it's because people are too British to live overseas. Australia may not be some people, but they may love living in a different place overseas.

northernbird Nov 10th 2008 5:34 am

Re: what did you expect????
 

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke (Post 6957549)
I don't think it's because people are too British to live overseas. Australia may not be some people, but they may love living in a different place overseas.

I did say SOME people. I certainly wouldn't generalise like that ;)

backagen Nov 10th 2008 5:38 am

Re: what did you expect????
 
Is it family that you miss, or friends? That would be an obvious and very very good reason.

Notts_bloke Nov 10th 2008 5:41 am

Re: what did you expect????
 

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 6957583)
I did say SOME people. I certainly wouldn't generalise like that ;)

I would have thought being too British meant you slag off Britain at every opportunity thus making you more likely to settle in Oz :rofl:

Bodach Nov 10th 2008 5:46 am

Re: what did you expect????
 

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke (Post 6957594)
I would have thought being too British meant you slag off Britain at every opportunity thus making you more likely to settle in Oz :rofl:

Its like migration, some day you will always return to the place you where born, its natural more so as you get older and looking towards retirement.

B.

northernbird Nov 10th 2008 5:52 am

Re: what did you expect????
 

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke (Post 6957594)
I would have thought being too British meant you slag off Britain at every opportunity thus making you more likely to settle in Oz :rofl:

Well as I have never slagged off Britain I wouldn't know :D

Bevm Nov 10th 2008 5:54 am

Re: what did you expect????
 
I think a big mistake we all tend to make is to think that a beautiful place is the best place to live. If that was the way it worked, there'd be a whole lot of places with no one living there!

Beautiful surrounding are great to have,but it's people that matter, I think. Not just family and friends, but the sort of people we meet in the shops, on the street, work with etc. People are different in different parts of the world.

I think the fact that various countries all speak English blinds us to the deep differences in the way people think and act.

Bev

deborahjane Nov 10th 2008 6:30 am

Re: what did you expect????
 
Although my OH and I only in early 40's one thing we have realised after being here in Perth is that we couldn't grow old here. It's just not the place for us and our family to live and grow up in.

I think home is where the heart is as they say and it's not where you want to live but where you want to die too.

We are returning to the UK for good in 8 weeks and are 100% all happy about this.

backagen Nov 10th 2008 7:11 am

Re: what did you expect????
 

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 6957605)
I think a big mistake we all tend to make is to think that a beautiful place is the best place to live. If that was the way it worked, there'd be a whole lot of places with no one living there!

Beautiful surrounding are great to have,but it's people that matter, I think. Not just family and friends, but the sort of people we meet in the shops, on the street, work with etc. People are different in different parts of the world.

I think the fact that various countries all speak English blinds us to the deep differences in the way people think and act.

Bev

That's a very good point, although in all honesty I'm not really sure that I prefer the way people are in general in UK compared to here.

To be honest, the only place I have been where I have really noticed a very obvious difference is in the Philippines, where the people are genuinely very much more friendly than either here or UK.

For lots of reasons though, I wouldn't want to live there.

Merseygirl Nov 10th 2008 9:04 am

Re: what did you expect????
 
Sometimes it can be very hard to define that certain 'quality' about a place that makes it feel like home. You could easily live in a beautiful place and yet it still does not feel likes its a part of you. It's a bit like a pretty pair of high heeled shoes, they might look good but they don't feel entirely comfortable on your feet like your favourite pair of slippers, you have to squash you feet a bit to get the best fit you can, but they don't feel right.....

islandergirl Nov 10th 2008 9:10 am

Re: what did you expect????
 
OP it's good that you can make that decision calmly, some people end up broken emotionally and financially by the decision.

After 11 years here I am well established, so I choose to return as I would rather live in Britain (despite my misgivings about plumbing and fencing...).

But I didn't come for a better life, I married an Australian, so I didn't have that high an expectation of Aus.

bev1 Nov 10th 2008 9:26 am

Re: what did you expect????
 

Originally Posted by deborahjane (Post 6957676)
Although my OH and I only in early 40's one thing we have realised after being here in Perth is that we couldn't grow old here. It's just not the place for us and our family to live and grow up in.

I think home is where the heart is as they say and it's not where you want to live but where you want to die too.

We are returning to the UK for good in 8 weeks and are 100% all happy about this.

Good point about what you say about where you want to die, There are so many nice things here and I could probably make myself love it, but I know my husband wont.

i also know he wont change his mind, this was all my idea in the first place and it's no good only 1 person being happy .

So dont know when yet but we will return but i'll just enjoy the summer for now

Dorothy Nov 10th 2008 9:44 am

Re: what did you expect????
 
You might find that you enjoy it more now the nice weather is coming. We moved from Adelaide at the start of a Perth winter and I suffered greatly. The constant rain really can be very depressing, can't it?

There's a meetup in King's Park next weekend. Why not come out and meet some other people, have a nice day in the park and forget just enjoy yourselves? Take a look in the meet up section of the Australia forum for the King's Park meet thread for details.

And as was previously said, congratulations on making a decision that you both can live with. Sometimes one partner is unhappy and the other happy, which makes things all the more difficult.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.