Wikiposts

What Defines The UK?

Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:45 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What Defines The UK?

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Do i have too?

No, you don't have to but it would help. I take it you have been to your destination in advance of your arrival? I hope you do love it here
It isn't as i thought it would be, dark from 5.30pm, racism (now i know how the polish feel) and hot humid weather, which i don't think i will ever get used to.
Australia is nice, but not for everyone and it actually makes you appreciate the UK.....but not untill you have left, that's the catch. So that is why i ask if you have been here.
Goodluck with your travels, i hope it works out for you and you don't need to use the MBTTUK forum

Just one question.......

Do you like curry?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by betsyboob
No, you don't have to but it would help. I take it you have been to your destination in advance of your arrival? I hope you do love it here
It isn't as i thought it would be, dark from 5.30pm, racism (now i know how the polish feel) and hot humid weather, which i don't think i will ever get used to.
Australia is nice, but not for everyone and it actually makes you appreciate the UK.....but not untill you have left, that's the catch. So that is why i ask if you have been here.
Goodluck with your travels, i hope it works out for you and you don't need to use the MBTTUK forum

Just one question.......

Do you like curry?

Have you forgot that the uk gets dark by 3.45pm too?

We are not going to aussie to compare because we know it will be different

Whats the point in going if you arent expecting it to be different?

When we go on holiday, be it usa/spain/greece etc etc i have never ate in a "English" restaurant or go looking for the red lion pub so i wont be looking for that "uk" feeling thanks

Who knows if it will work,cos i surely dont

I am mr spicey
Thanks for the kind words

jase
Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I think the UK is a wonderful place, possibly one of the most interesting places in the world to live. A very beautiful and diverse place. I spent about 44 years there. Alas IMO it lacks a true cuisine (just like NZ and lots of other places), I know there are endless restaurants but it does not have a defining cuisine like say India or Italy. I think thats a shame. It also lacks true space (crowded beauty spots, roads and the like). I guess 60 million into the UK don't go that well!!!. They are the only 2 real negatives..oh and house prices like NZ are out of touch with both wages and reality.

I think its way to complex to define other than humane, understanding, multicultural, fun, safe and very, very interesting. Such a shame I am a crowdaphobe!!!
Genesis,can I ask where you live?In a city perhaps?I live in a small rural town and certainly don't ever feel crowded.OH and I do alot of walking in the countryside and it would be fair to say we hardly ever bump into anyone else!!!!We also travel alot around the UK,mostly country area's,and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of open spaces,rolling hills ect,hardly what I would call "crowded"so yeah depends where you live I guess!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Genesis,can I ask where you live?In a city perhaps?I live in a small rural town and certainly don't ever feel crowded.OH and I do alot of walking in the countryside and it would be fair to say we hardly ever bump into anyone else!!!!We also travel alot around the UK,mostly country area's,and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of open spaces,rolling hills ect,hardly what I would call "crowded"so yeah depends where you live I guess!
Yep very true indeed,the uk had some beautiful countryside!

We live 20 mins from stratford upon avon and a radius of 1 hr the views are special indeed.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:00 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Have you forgot that the uk gets dark by 3.45pm too? Not all year around though

But thats just QLD

When we go on holiday, be it usa/spain/greece etc etc i have never ate in a "English" restaurant or go looking for the red lion pub so i wont be looking for that "uk" feeling thanks Say goodbye to cheap holidays in Europe

I am mr spicey You'll know what i meen when you get here

jase

I really honestly do hope that it works out for you, but i just wonder why you have come on this forum to wind people up - many of whom have lost alot of money coming out here and that may not have work and have any choice than to return.
People on here are not 'UK woshippers' as you said in one of your posts, people are returning for different reasons.
Perhaps you should stick to the Aus forum, and then, once you have arrived, if you need to use the MBTTUK forum for its proper use then you will be welcomed with open arms....BUT .....we still value your opinion.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:40 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

The beauty of the UK is that you can escape a lot of what's wrong with it in just a few short miles to open countryside and beautiful scenery. That is what makes it so diverse and so unique. It is relatively quick and simple to jump out of the crowded, grimy town or city into lovely greenery, peace and quiet.

Australia has it's good and bad sides but one thing I find is that I can't swap the heat, dust and dryness or bland scenery for a change. Australia is the same pretty much everywhere and for me that's why the UK is so refreshing.

I understand why people might think the grass is greener and leave England and they are entitled to their views. Everything in life is an experience unique to each person how it impacts on their thinking. In this case, I don't get into debates too often about Oz versus UK because it's all about personal tastes, where you are in your head and life at the time and what it is that you're looking for.

For me, I love England. I am not fond of Australia for many reasons so I am looking forward to going home soon. However, I would not wish to trash Australia to others either. I think everyone is entitled to their own experience and viewpoint.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by betsyboob

I really honestly do hope that it works out for you, but i just wonder why you have come on this forum to wind people up - many of whom have lost alot of money coming out here and that may not have work and have any choice than to return.
People on here are not 'UK woshippers' as you said in one of your posts, people are returning for different reasons.
Perhaps you should stick to the Aus forum, and then, once you have arrived, if you need to use the MBTTUK forum for its proper use then you will be welcomed with open arms....BUT .....we still value your opinion.
People put up posts and i put up my thoughts!
I dont go out of my way to personally disrespect anyone,i wasnt brought up like that
Im not a wind up merchant either!
The trouble is,the more you read in how good/bad "this" or how good "that" is your fall for the "i believe" its true then.

Im gambling if you like my families money on wether aussie is for us,but i couldnt go through life without trying hey.

I apoligise if my wording sounds disrespectfull,cos i would never be like that.

Dam words over the internet come across in so many ways dont they

Just back tracked my posts and im sure i posted on your post a few times and tried to keep your spirits up and a arm around you?
I take it personally when my friends/family are sad or unhappy for whatever reason and i do whatever it takes to make them smile again and enjoy life.

Im going now with my tail between my legs scared your bite me

Last edited by JCSUPERMOTO; Jun 5th 2009 at 5:43 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:01 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Have you forgot that the uk gets dark by 3.45pm too?

When we go on holiday, be it usa/spain/greece etc etc i have never ate in a "English" restaurant or go looking for the red lion pub so i wont be looking for that "uk" feeling thanks

I am mr spicey

jase

Am I right in thinking you're going to Melbourne? It is a nice part of Oz. Very cultured, weather a bit like the UK, very cosmopolitan too, a lot of Greeks, Italians and other nationalities so the world in one state almost.
It won't hurt you to try anything once but keep doors open to return back home if you don't like it. That way you keep all your options open.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

The uk is all i know so would never close the door,and in times of feeling lost or what else then its nature to want to go back to where we feel safe/know,which is uk.............Sound advise indeed,thanks

Its becoming more clear and apparant why people come back to the uk,its that comfort blanket affect,and i has just dawned on me,always leaning hey
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:20 pm
Banned

The uk is all i know so would never close the door,and in times of feeling lost or what else then its nature to want to go back to where we feel safe/know,which is uk.............Sound advise indeed,thanks

Its becoming more clear and apparant why people come back to the uk,its that comfort blanket affect,and i has just dawned on me,always leaning hey

It never hurts to try something different as long as you do your research and weigh up all the risks. Australia has a habit of inflating the truth. I must be honest, I've known people be offered jobs that sound great over the phone or on paper but once they've got here, it's not what it seems. Their idea of a contract is often half a sheet of A4. You do need to listen to the experiences of others objectively if you can, then make your own mind up. Obviously everyone experience things differently depending on if their glass is half empty or half full. I'm a half full person but I have found Australia limiting, lacking in opportunity and very remote. But then, I'm a designer and need lots of inspiration so I need the connection to Italy, Paris, London and the arts industry none of which are very visible here.
However, I can see the big attraction for families. Australia is a big playground and great fun for kids. I'm not sure children get the historical or cultural education you might hope for here. Why would they? The country is only 200 years old so that's something to think about when considering your child's education. The major influences are sport, beach, beer unfortunately and more sport. It's a great place for men.

You sound like you're a young family so obviously you can't throw caution to the wind and just take a chance. If you're single, that's different but with children, you need to be more prepared.
Just keep a UK bank account open and some spare cash available. Remember if you do want to return home, you won't have a credit rating so you'll need money to live, buy a car, pay rent 6 months up front.

Otherwise, you'll probably love just having a change. We took my stepson up Q1 today at Surfers Paradise. It's currently the tallest residential apartment block in the world. Won't be for long because Dubai are building a taller block. But he loved it, we got loads of photos and he can't wait to tell his friends at school on Monday who live out in the bush and probably don't get the chance to visit the big smoke often. There are some great things for kids and mostly it's either free or not too expensive.