What Defines The UK?

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:42 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Defines The UK?

Someone put me on the spot at the weekend when they quizzed me on why I was leaving Australia to return to the UK. It was aninteresting exchange which was openly frank which I found refreshing.
My Aussie interogator, far from being offended at the idea that I might wish to leave their country, instead pursued a line of questioning which I really had to think about.
Not because I didn't know the answer but because there are so many different answers to offer. When you consider that England and Wales alone have 43 counties each with their own dialect and traditions, I hardly knew where to start.
The person asking me to explain, offered their perspective assuming that the UK is just about roast beef, yorkshires, the Royal family and Coronation Street.
They did say they hadn't visited the UK so I took no offence at their limited views, in fact we had a really interesting discussion about what defines Australia from their point of view, which gave me a wider insight.
But then I returned home thinking 'Wow, how incredible the UK is considering it's size' and then I went over in my mind revisiting all the things that define the British Isles.
Where do you start and where do you end when someone asks you such a meandering question?
I'm still not sure if I summed up my own country adequately but it did make me realise how nice it feels to be British.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Defines The UK?

The concept is far beyond a lot of peoples comprehension. Never argue with a fool especially an Aussie one. I never thought much of my country of birth until I tried to live elsewhere. I now understand that it was a blessing to have been born there as opposed to most of the world that seems to be in turmoil. We have freedom and history. The people that went before us that threw their lives away for the sake of a thankless modern society.

I sense a lot of shame from Brits, theyre never English these days, theyre half Spanish and 1/8th Icelandic and 45th generation Roman. Too heavy a cross to bear our pioneering past of rape and pillage.

Thank god for Australia, if I hadnt of visited it, I would never have known how great and important my forebears were and deep down, everyone knows it but such is modern life we keep our necks wound in knowing that the emptiest vessels make the most noise and any self pride is interpreted as imperialism and arrogance.

Sorry if you wanted me to prattle on about house prices and good fishing spots, sunsets and barbecues but England is a lot more than that. Now excuse me whilst I cry my eyes out.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:22 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
The concept is far beyond a lot of peoples comprehension. Never argue with a fool especially an Aussie one. I never thought much of my country of birth until I tried to live elsewhere. I now understand that it was a blessing to have been born there as opposed to most of the world that seems to be in turmoil. We have freedom and history. The people that went before us that threw their lives away for the sake of a thankless modern society.

I sense a lot of shame from Brits, theyre never English these days, theyre half Spanish and 1/8th Icelandic and 45th generation Roman. Too heavy a cross to bear our pioneering past of rape and pillage.

Thank god for Australia, if I hadnt of visited it, I would never have known how great and important my forebears were and deep down, everyone knows it but such is modern life we keep our necks wound in knowing that the emptiest vessels make the most noise and any self pride is interpreted as imperialism and arrogance.

Sorry if you wanted me to prattle on about house prices and good fishing spots, sunsets and barbecues but England is a lot more than that. Now excuse me whilst I cry my eyes out.

Wholeheartedly agree. I can't begin to tell you how enthusiastic and excited I feel at the thought of coming home. I was amazed at myself when I didn't know how to begin answering the question because there were just so many ways to start. And of course, periods in time from which to start. Then you've got to try and answer the question in a way a stranger to the culture can understand. Having said that, they were attentive and keen to listen.

To be fair to Australia, I regard the country as a 'work in progress'. I think in 100 years time, it will be an interesting place to live. It's like a patchwork quilt, it's not finished yet. But with it's mix of culture, it would be interesting to see what it becomes. The Japanese and Asian influences are moulding a barren country into an admirable land. The main drawback is that Australia is not yet influenced by the rest of the world and as such, exercises no real impact on the rest of the world. It just sits there surrounded by Asia and this appears to be the emerging influence. The only dominance seems to come from the ideal of 'being Australian' but as yet, it appears indefinable. Nothing makes the country stand out apart from the Sydney Opera House, designed by a Danish architect, and Uluru, which is the territorial heritage of the Aborigines.
The UK has already established it's unique identity whereas Australia is still trying to find one hence the parent and teenager applied reference.

I was just surprised at myself when asked the question. I hardly knew where to start. I was horrified at the idea of Coronation Street being the sum of the UK but then I suppose it has been going 50 odd years. Maybe that suggests a traditional stronghold on just one kind of British identity.
I certainly am coming home with a different perspective of my home.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1again
Wholeheartedly agree. I can't begin to tell you how enthusiastic and excited I feel at the thought of coming home. I was amazed at myself when I didn't know how to begin answering the question because there were just so many ways to start. And of course, periods in time from which to start. Then you've got to try and answer the question in a way a stranger to the culture can understand. Having said that, they were attentive and keen to listen.

To be fair to Australia, I regard the country as a 'work in progress'. I think in 100 years time, it will be an interesting place to live. It's like a patchwork quilt, it's not finished yet. But with it's mix of culture, it would be interesting to see what it becomes. The Japanese and Asian influences are moulding a barren country into an admirable land. The main drawback is that Australia is not yet influenced by the rest of the world and as such, exercises no real impact on the rest of the world. It just sits there surrounded by Asia and this appears to be the emerging influence. The only dominance seems to come from the ideal of 'being Australian' but as yet, it appears indefinable. Nothing makes the country stand out apart from the Sydney Opera House, designed by a Danish architect, and Uluru, which is the territorial heritage of the Aborigines.
The UK has already established it's unique identity whereas Australia is still trying to find one hence the parent and teenager applied reference.

I was just surprised at myself when asked the question. I hardly knew where to start. I was horrified at the idea of Coronation Street being the sum of the UK but then I suppose it has been going 50 odd years. Maybe that suggests a traditional stronghold on just one kind of British identity.
I certainly am coming home with a different perspective of my home.
We really have nothing to prove. Our nations history speaks for itself and although its in a mess right now, its only because we've learnt to share the reins. A lot of people want to ride the train but they dont wanna shovel the coal, so to speak. There are however, strongly tribal nations that identify with the spirit of the empire, that only wish theyd thought of the idea themselves and then we'd be looking at a totally different world. When you look at the fact we are all just highly advanced primates, you see the wonder of how the world has advanced from a few hundred years ago.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

The uk aint what it used to be,and unfortunately,will never be as good imo
So for that reason....Im out!!!

I have been meaning to use that dragons den quote for ages now
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
*yawn*
"Here's a song about living in the past
If it was so good then how come it didn't last?
If it helps you I'll put it in a phrase
Those were the times but these are the days...
The times you're smiling back on had that great sitcom
It hardly compensated for the terror of the bomb..."

Last edited by ellimere; Jun 3rd 2009 at 9:36 pm. Reason: Quote got messed up...
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:57 pm
Banned

Some things never change.

Look what you're missing

http://www.picturesofengland.com/

If you're happy where you are though, that's all that matters right?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ellimere
*yawn*
"Here's a song about living in the past
If it was so good then how come it didn't last?
If it helps you I'll put it in a phrase
Those were the times but these are the days...
The times you're smiling back on had that great sitcom
It hardly compensated for the terror of the bomb..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aAi6PO0GKIw
At least the singer, good voice by the way, lives in a time and a country where she can change things purely by having the freedom of speech. If she gets the message through her music, then she'll get heard. Main thing is though, nothing is stopping her from changing her situation or life if she doesn't like it. She has the opportunity and freedom in the UK. Unlike many countries.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I think the UK is a wonderful place, possibly one of the most interesting places in the world to live. A very beautiful and diverse place. I spent about 44 years there. Alas IMO it lacks a true cuisine (just like NZ and lots of other places), I know there are endless restaurants but it does not have a defining cuisine like say India or Italy. I think thats a shame. It also lacks true space (crowded beauty spots, roads and the like). I guess 60 million into the UK don't go that well!!!. They are the only 2 real negatives..oh and house prices like NZ are out of touch with both wages and reality.

I think its way to complex to define other than humane, understanding, multicultural, fun, safe and very, very interesting. Such a shame I am a crowdaphobe!!!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

That got the "uk" worshippers going
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:56 am
Banned

At least it's positive. Aren't you in Melbourne? Melbourne is nice, very English because it was a free state, not a penal colony. Plus it got all the gaudy, wealthy Victorian society keen to make a fresh start out of Georgian Britain so there's a lot of money in Victoria.
Makes me laugh when people moan about chavs. Back in the reign of mad King George, I think it was 95% chavs and 5% elite. At least it's improved a bit.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:05 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Let us know how you feel when you have been here a few months
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Let us know how you feel when you have been here a few months
Where?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:05 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Where?
Australia
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Do i have too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.