What Car in the UK?

Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Car in the UK?

I know there is another thread about cars in the UK but I just can't find it.

I'd like some suggestions about what car to drive over there. I wasn't originally moving back with the idea of driving there but that is changing.

When I drove there in the mid-70s I had a new VW Beetle because it was a reliable and safe vehicle. In the USA I have had Toyota Camry's for the last almost 30 years.

Obviously, I don't need one the size of a US Camry in the UK but I want a quality vehicle that is safe - emphasis on safety and reliability.

My significant other has a huge Land Rover to pull the caravan so we are all set there. I just want my independence to get to the shops and drive out to the countryside with the two little dogs if I want to.

I have to get used to driving over there again but I don't think that will take long. When I went back to the UK after almost 20 years away, I picked it up immediately.

One thing, though . . . it will have to be an automatic car.

I am open to an SUV, too. In fact, if I had stayed here my next vehicle might well have been an SUV. Not sure that's what they are called in the UK, though.

I don't want the tiniest available - I don't consider teeny weeny ones to be too safe. I also don't want a gigantic vehicle. It's also got to be easy to park, if possible.

Any suggestions of what car might fit the bill and any web sites where I can go and look at the suggestions? He asked me what I want and I couldn't tell him.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 6th 2013 at 10:46 am.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 11:04 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Car in the UK?

Here is a website that may be helpful. Happy car shopping!

http://www.whatcar.com/
Old Jun 6th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

A MINI Cooper!!!!! Not too tiny and 5 Star Safety Rating from NCAP. Land Rover only has 3 star (last time i checked) I find anything bigger than a hatchback is just too big on these tiny roads.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 4:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the previous thread I think you are referring to.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:03 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I know there is another thread about cars in the UK but I just can't find it.

I'd like some suggestions about what car to drive over there. I wasn't originally moving back with the idea of driving there but that is changing.

When I drove there in the mid-70s I had a new VW Beetle because it was a reliable and safe vehicle. In the USA I have had Toyota Camry's for the last almost 30 years.

Obviously, I don't need one the size of a US Camry in the UK but I want a quality vehicle that is safe - emphasis on safety and reliability.

My significant other has a huge Land Rover to pull the caravan so we are all set there. I just want my independence to get to the shops and drive out to the countryside with the two little dogs if I want to.

I have to get used to driving over there again but I don't think that will take long. When I went back to the UK after almost 20 years away, I picked it up immediately.

One thing, though . . . it will have to be an automatic car.

I am open to an SUV, too. In fact, if I had stayed here my next vehicle might well have been an SUV. Not sure that's what they are called in the UK, though.

I don't want the tiniest available - I don't consider teeny weeny ones to be too safe. I also don't want a gigantic vehicle. It's also got to be easy to park, if possible.

Any suggestions of what car might fit the bill and any web sites where I can go and look at the suggestions? He asked me what I want and I couldn't tell him.
Hi windsong, look into getting a diesel, they have significantly higher MPG, the rav4 is sold in the uk and is sold as a diesel.

Here's a link. Autotrader is a good place to at least research a whole bunch of cars at once.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...rs?logcode=flp
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Although diesel cars do get more miles per gallon, typically they are a better bet if you're driving long distances on motorways etc plus, having been browsing various websites myself looking for cars, I have found that the combination of automatic & diesel is very difficult to find especially in the smaller, nippy, short jaunts to the shops type of car.

Having said that, the 'Smart for two' cars are teeny tiny and are mostly automatic. They allegedly get up to 80 miles per gallon (petrol) and if you want a very very small car that's easy to park in the handkerchief sized parking spaces, you might want to take a look at them

Personally I'm a fan of the Mazda 2 which gets rave reviews for reliability and petrol consumption. But, I think a few test drives will be the order of the day before I purchase anything.

Sorry just noticed in a previous post that you didn't want a teeny weeny car, so I suppose the Smart Car is not an option

Last edited by ElizabethK; Jun 7th 2013 at 3:35 am. Reason: I'd suggested a teeny weeny car then noticed Windsong doesn't want a little car
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Although diesel cars do get more miles per gallon, typically they are a better bet if you're driving long distances on motorways etc plus, having been browsing various websites myself looking for cars, I have found that the combination of automatic & diesel is very difficult to find especially in the smaller, nippy, short jaunts to the shops type of car.

Having said that, the 'Smart for two' cars are teeny tiny and are mostly automatic. They allegedly get up to 80 miles per gallon (petrol) and if you want a very very small car that's easy to park in the handkerchief sized parking spaces, you might want to take a look at them

Personally I'm a fan of the Mazda 2 which gets rave reviews for reliability and petrol consumption. But, I think a few test drives will be the order of the day before I purchase anything.

Sorry just noticed in a previous post that you didn't want a teeny weeny car, so I suppose the Smart Car is not an option
I don't mind a small car; I just don't want one of those really tiny cars I have seen that are SO small that they look like a car cut in half or even two-thirds. The Smart cars I have seen barely have enough room for one person to sit and no trunk area at all. They look dangerous to me.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldollard
Hi windsong, look into getting a diesel, they have significantly higher MPG, the rav4 is sold in the uk and is sold as a diesel.

Here's a link. Autotrader is a good place to at least research a whole bunch of cars at once.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...rs?logcode=flp
I like the RAV4 a lot; in fact, I had even been considering it for my next car here. They do seem quite expensive in the UK, though, or perhaps cars in general are more expensive there. New cars in general seem to be in the mid low to 20s (thousands of pounds). I think I will try to find a good used one. I really don't want to put all that money into a new car. Now that I am older, I see how much money I spent on cars in the USA over the years, so I am much wiser.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Mercedes A Class. Diesel auto.
Is what we have. 40-45 mpg combined or 58-60mpg on a run.
Ours is an 05 plate. Classic so has aircon etc but not leather or cruise.
I would buy one again.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:47 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

I like the RAV4 a lot; in fact, I had even been considering it for my next car here. They do seem quite expensive in the UK, though, or perhaps cars in general are more expensive there. New cars in general seem to be in the mid low to 20s (thousands of pounds). I think I will try to find a good used one. I really don't want to put all that money into a new car. Now that I am older, I see how much money I spent on cars in the USA over the years, so I am much wiser.
Hi Windsong, dont buy a new car in the UK, cars drop astronomically once bought there and do not hold their value at all, like they do in the US.

You'll probably be able to get a 2-3 yr old rav4 or at least 5k less if not more.

Here's an example its a 2010 for 11k with 21k miles. not bad at all.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... When I drove there in the mid-70s I had a new VW Beetle because it was a reliable and safe vehicle.... .
If you want something as safe as an "Mark I" Beetle, I would like to recommend a wet cardboard box! ..... Those things were ill-handling death traps, and I suspect if you drove one today, after 20 years driving Camrys, that you'd be rather less impressed.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you want something as safe as an "Mark I" Beetle, I would like to recommend a wet cardboard box! ..... Those things were ill-handling death traps, and I suspect if you drove one today, after 20 years driving Camrys, that you'd be rather less impressed.
You are probably quite right about being less impressed When I drove the Beetle it was the first new car I had ever owned and I loved it. I was young back then

My mother always used to tell me how safe the Beetles were. Not sure if it was true . . .

The Camry's are lovely cars - the older ones are better quality than the newer ones, I think, but still nice cars.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong, look in the Telegraph the Motoring section and see writing by Honest John, he might give you some ideas.
A car that is raved about is the Skoda. Built in Europe by Volkswagen.

I like quirky cars. Example the electric car by Renault called the Twizzy I think. Two passenger, no side windows so it is better than a motorcycle and doesn't use petrol.

Diesel can get high miles per gallon but repairs are higher and they are not good for short trips because they need to warm up to be effective.

Cheers
Old Jun 8th 2013, 3:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Windsong, look in the Telegraph the Motoring section and see writing by Honest John, he might give you some ideas.
A car that is raved about is the Skoda. Built in Europe by Volkswagen.

I like quirky cars. Example the electric car by Renault called the Twizzy I think. Two passenger, no side windows so it is better than a motorcycle and doesn't use petrol.

Diesel can get high miles per gallon but repairs are higher and they are not good for short trips because they need to warm up to be effective.

Cheers
Honest John does some good YouTube test drives, also. There's another series of YouTube test drives that is pretty good but can't think of the name at the moment.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 4:44 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I have a RAV4 here and love it. I would buy one again and will consider it in the UK. I have to have a lot of space for carrying all my samples and it has been the perfect car for that. Plus, it's great for the dog to ride in the back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.