What Car in the UK?

Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Car in the UK?

Originally Posted by windsong
Are the RAV4 and CRV mid-size cars in the UK or would they be considered large cars? I don't want anything too large because I may have trouble parking it and driving it on narrow roads. On the other hand, I don't want anything tiny either for safety's sake.

My SO usually drives a large Land Rover (Discovery model perhaps) but that's too large for me.
For me personally, I would consider a RAV4 as a large car... I would find it far too large for me to drive - I'm sure I'd never be able to park, but then I'm not a very confident driver..

My mother in law on the other hand, has a RAV4 and she loves it - says it's a doddle to park. She lives in Devon and finds it no problem on the little lanes there either.

Having said that, she was telling me recently that she might have to trade down to something smaller as she finds it very expensive to run - road tax is high and the fuel consumption is very costly.

Back on smaller cars, my sister has a Toyota Yaris that she raves about. She's fairly tall - 5ft 8" and has never had any issues with leg room. In particular she likes a nifty feature it has with the back seats being easily movable forwards and backwards. Depending on what she is doing, she can have more legroom in the back, or more boot space.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
For me personally, I would consider a RAV4 as a large car... I would find it far too large for me to drive - I'm sure I'd never be able to park, but then I'm not a very confident driver..

My mother in law on the other hand, has a RAV4 and she loves it - says it's a doddle to park. She lives in Devon and finds it no problem on the little lanes there either.

Having said that, she was telling me recently that she might have to trade down to something smaller as she finds it very expensive to run - road tax is high and the fuel consumption is very costly.

Back on smaller cars, my sister has a Toyota Yaris that she raves about. She's fairly tall - 5ft 8" and has never had any issues with leg room. In particular she likes a nifty feature it has with the back seats being easily movable forwards and backwards. Depending on what she is doing, she can have more legroom in the back, or more boot space.
Thanks for this. I didn't think about the road tax and fuel consumption, although I won't be driving it too far. I wonder if I need to drop down a size over there but I hesitate to go too small in case I am in an accident. I like some body around me for protection.

I ought to ask, too, what reputation the Hondas and Toyotas have in the UK. It might not be as good as in the USA, I don't know. Do they break down a lot over there? The Toyotas I have had in the USA have been fabulous in that regard.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 12th 2013 at 11:12 am.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. I didn't think about the road tax and fuel consumption, although I won't be driving it too far.
Your fuel costs are certainly affected by how many miles you drive, but road tax is a fixed cost regardless of how many miles you drive... here is a guide so you can see the differences in costs.

I wonder if I need to drop down a size over there but I hesitate to go too small in case I am in an accident. I like some body around me for protection.

I ought to ask, too, what reputation the Hondas and Toyotas have in the UK. It might not be as good as in the USA, I don't know. Do they break down a lot over there? The Toyotas I have had in the USA have been fabulous in that regard.
Toyotas and Hondas have good reputations here in the UK.

Why don't you see if you can take out a 3 month free trial subscription to Which, then you can have a look at all of the safety & reliability etc recommendations.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 12:14 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I would consider a RAV a large car given the small parking spaces and narrow lanes over here.

We need to buy a 4-wheel drive because the winters get bad up here and we're looking at a Jimny because they're smaller than other SUV-style vehicles. Apparently they can get through anything - almost every house on our lane has one! - but people say they're not the most comfortable of cars.

Honda has a brilliant reputation here - and well-deserved given the level of service we've received so far.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes, I would consider a RAV a large car given the small parking spaces and narrow lanes over here.

We need to buy a 4-wheel drive because the winters get bad up here and we're looking at a Jimny because they're smaller than other SUV-style vehicles. Apparently they can get through anything - almost every house on our lane has one! - but people say they're not the most comfortable of cars.

Honda has a brilliant reputation here - and well-deserved given the level of service we've received so far.
Where are the new photographs on your blog?
Cheers
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:55 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I think I have narrowed it down to a Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV. Someone mentioned the Honda Jazz, too, but I am wondering if there is enough legroom for someone who is tall.

Are the RAV4 and CRV mid-size cars in the UK or would they be considered large cars? I don't want anything too large because I may have trouble parking it and driving it on narrow roads. On the other hand, I don't want anything tiny either for safety's sake.

My SO usually drives a large Land Rover (Discovery model perhaps) but that's too large for me.
In the UK, neither is considered large any more, I was very shocked when I went back in september that the large majority of vehicles on the road where SUVs/4x4. And a fair number larger then the crossover's that rav4's and crv's are.

Personally, I'd get the rav4 only because I like the look of it more. The CRV is a very good vehicle as well.

My dad has a Nissan Qashqai, which is basically the same size as the CRV or Rav4, additionally the actual footprint (length) of all 3 cars are smaller than a family saloon. So parking would actually be easier.

As an example here are the length of a rav4 and a mondao.

4,869 mm mondeo
4,570 mm rav4

As you can see the Ford Mondeo saloon is actually longer, and harder to park.

And i'll go back to suggesting either as a diesel. Diesels have come a long way and no longer need crazy startup procedures to run. And driving any car short distances will eventually run down and damage the engine. You should always let your car idle for 30 secs from cold, to get the engine warmed up and the oil to come to temperature. If not, whether its diesel or petrol you'll crack seals wear out the engine quicker. Idling any longer though will just waste full.

Last edited by ldollard; Jun 12th 2013 at 7:05 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
In the UK, neither is considered large any more, I was very shocked when I went back in september that the large majority of vehicles on the road where SUVs/4x4. And a fair number larger then the crossover's that rav4's and crv's are.

Personally, I'd get the rav4 only because I like the look of it more. The CRV is a very good vehicle as well.

My dad has a Nissan Qashqai, which is basically the same size as the CRV or Rav4, additionally the actual footprint (length) of all 3 cars are smaller than a family saloon. So parking would actually be easier.

As an example here are the length of a rav4 and a mondao.

4,869 mm mondeo
4,570 mm rav4

As you can see the Ford Mondeo saloon is actually longer, and harder to park.

And i'll go back to suggesting either as a diesel. Diesels have come a long way and no longer need crazy startup procedures to run. And driving any car short distances will eventually run down and damage the engine. You should always let your car idle for 30 secs from cold, to get the engine warmed up and the oil to come to temperature. If not, whether its diesel or petrol you'll crack seals wear out the engine quicker. Idling any longer though will just waste full.
Thank you for the advice which is helpful.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:16 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britwhore
Well......BUILT in England but the parts are made elsewhere!
Well 60% British content up from 40% as suppliers built facilities near to the Oxfordshire factory. Thats a pretty good % and probably comparable to most brands around the world. With new models being released and more jobs being created its all good
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:21 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Thank you for the advice which is helpful.
No problem, my pleasure.

Originally Posted by chris955
Well 60% British content up from 40% as suppliers built facilities near to the Oxfordshire factory. Thats a pretty good % and probably comparable to most brands around the world. With new models being released and more jobs being created its all good
It is good, building and buying local is the crux of a good economy. Sadly it seems mostly only the car manufacturers who do this.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

Don't know if you get them in the US but Mercedes B class is a pretty popular car, sort of mid sized that's what we have in the UK & seems very reliable, although we change cars every three years. OH is 5'9 and its OK for him, not as trendy looking as a Rav though more sort of classic looking. Hondas and Toyotas have a good rep most places.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:42 pm
Firetrak

Originally Posted by jennieJ
Don't know if you get them in the US but Mercedes B class is a pretty popular car, sort of mid sized that's what we have in the UK & seems very reliable, although we change cars every three years. OH is 5'9 and its OK for him, not as trendy looking as a Rav though more sort of classic looking. Hondas and Toyotas have a good rep most places.
sadly we don't. OR the audi 1 or 2.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Now I need to find out what a Jimny is and who makes it. Comfort is also on my list of requirements, though. It's bad enough now. I can only do long journeys in a car by getting out of the car about every 1.5 hours to stretch and/or to have something to drink.

I HATE driving in winter on black ice. I thought driving in the USA on snow would be worse but I think it is a lot easier - or perhaps I have simply got used to it.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 15th 2013 at 1:31 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs
Your fuel costs are certainly affected by how many miles you drive, but road tax is a fixed cost regardless of how many miles you drive... here is a guide so you can see the differences in costs.

Toyotas and Hondas have good reputations here in the UK.

Why don't you see if you can take out a 3 month free trial subscription to Which, then you can have a look at all of the safety & reliability etc recommendations.
Thank you.

My SO knows tons about cars so I think I will pass on Which. Being independent, though, I prefer to do my own research and decide which car I personally would like rather than having him choose for me. I still discuss with him, though.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Unless it's the Countryman. They're built in Austria.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:29 am
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are heading back to the UK in 2 weeks time and have opted for a VW Tiguan. Because of the area we are going to be living in initially 4WD is essential for us as is reasonable economy and the Tiguan seems to provide what we are looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.