Wikiposts

What are the British Like

Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:13 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the British Like

Originally Posted by elfman
I always thought the Onion must be British. Hell, everyone knows us Yanks have no sense of humor and are unable to make fun of ourselves.

I know, one satirical news organization does not a culture make. But it does exist and I would be remiss if I didn't gloat! Just a little.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:58 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I always thought the Onion must be British. Hell, everyone knows us Yanks have no sense of humor and are unable to make fun of ourselves.

I know, one satirical news organization does not a culture make. But it does exist and I would be remiss if I didn't gloat! Just a little.
just add the Daily Show and The Colbert report to those then. My inlaws were gobsmacked when they saw those 2 progs earlier this year. They had the same opinion that Americans have no sense of humour
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I'm seriously trying to find out how it works......
Please don't go there!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
just add the Daily Show and The Colbert report to those then. My inlaws were gobsmacked when they saw those 2 progs earlier this year. They had the same opinion that Americans have no sense of humour
They don't watch 'The Simpsons' or 'South Park? I hear they're big in the UK.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:08 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
They don't watch 'The Simpsons' or 'South Park? I hear they're big in the UK.

pretty sure they don't watch South Park. As for the Simpsons, it used to be funny
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Ok, now, dont jump down my neck, this is a genuine question. How does it work?
I mean is it just personal choice the heritage that you hyphenate? Or do people normally go with the larger part or the mothers side or the fathers side or what? I mean this guy has 1/2 German, 1/4 Swedish, 1/8 Dutch, 1/16th belgian and 1/16th Irish heritage, but he chooses the 1/16th Irish part. Why? That strikes me as not really being motivated by embracing his heritage (cos he's ignoring the largest part of his heritage), more being motivated by what he thinks is "cool". Or did he go down the list -German? nah, the war. Swedish? - nah, dont like meatballs. Dutch?...hmmm, they've never upset anyone, and they're pretty laid back hmm get back to them. Belgian? - too boring. Irish - love a drop of the black stuff - bingo! I'm Irish! Ok the article was taking the p1$$ (as, hopefully, is the one next to it - Ho Ho Ho I saw you masturbating) as is my response to it, but I have a couple of friends that "hyphenate" a 1/8th heritage over a 1/4 heritage. It doesn't actually bother me - I find it a bit odd, but quite quaint, in the way I guess a lot of our customs back home are to foreigners. Ok, task for the week - ask them why! 2nd task, work out what the kids are going to be!
In the case of the guy featured in the Onion, I think he's desperately looking for an identity, as the author suggests.

I have a friend who grew up in the Polish part of our town, attends a church where sermons are often given in Polish, studied the Polish language, and her family observes many Polish customs. Her wedding was really cool, and she went to Poland for her honeymoon. See a trend? Her ancestry is Polish, and that culture is very much a part of her world today. Now, does she call herself "Polish-American"? No clue - but I wouldn't be surprised.

I would put her in a different group than Mr. 1/16 Irish. But I guess, he's not doing any harm is he? (Let's hope he doesn't give $$ to the IRA - I was told in Ireland that many "Irish-Americans" do just that.)

I think it's common for Americans to be interested in their ancestry - I could probably lay out the fractions for my background - but generally just say "Scandinavia/British Isles" when I've been asked. Close enough. I don't identify as a "Swedish-American" - which would be the majority of my background ... but it is neat to have some of the history - it made visiting the country that much more special for me. Our last name appeared on a street sign, etc. and you can imagine what it may have been like for them to have lived there. For that matter, I'd probably feel the same way about areas my family has lived in the US.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:50 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
In the case of the guy featured in the Onion, I think he's desperately looking for an identity, as the author suggests.
er... you are of course aware that The Onion is pure satire? i.e. made up?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
er... you are of course aware that The Onion is pure satire? i.e. made up?
I'd forgotten the source, but it's not hard to believe the story! Someone out there is doing just that.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
So why does it bother you? Most people born in the US are descended from foreign born immigrants. When someone says I'm Irish they are referring to their ancestry they're are not claiming Irish nationality.
A lot of immigrants suppressed their identity due to discrimination in the past, changing their names to fit in.
True....and some people are quite proud of their heritage. My youngest daughter was born in England, and yet sounds quite American because she is being raised here. So, wonder what someone would say when she told people that she was half British, half American......
Also, what would the children that are born here and return home to another country with their parents call themselves?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Also, what would the children that are born here and return home to another country with their parents call themselves?
That was the second part of my question (about my kids..). I actually caught my eldest son (6) telling someone tonight that he is Singaporean....err, well, not quite son....he was born there, lived there for the first 18 months of his life, but that doesn't make him singaporean. In fact, if you've ever seen a birth certificate for a foreigner born in Singapore, they make it quite clear - big red letters right across the top - "This certificate is not evidence of, nor entitlement to Singaporean citizenship". I dont know what he is going to "be" but it sure as heck isn't Singaporean...
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

ian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to all

read a funny article last week ...

alistair magowan was talking about how scottish he was , and that hed even sung the national anthem before a game at murrayfield , or something like that , then he was asked by the bbc to take part in the series "who do you think you are ?"

turns out he is INDIAN !!!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

ian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to all

or not , depending on how you think