Wikiposts

What are the British Like

Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:58 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What are the British Like

Originally Posted by surly
There are a lot of different people of different ethnic background in the UK, not many I think would hang the title True Brit.
my lovely old dad fought for my country and yes i am a true brit and will be until the day i die
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Wow - if you get wedding and shower invites - you must be fabulous tippers!
we keep moving restaurants though coz the septics get too friendly
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
my lovely old dad fought for my country and yes i am a true brit and will be until the day i die
Ah ha! Exactly why some here cling to their heritage - even if it may seem distant.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Sounds like you'll be in for a shock when you go back to the UK.
Unless you're planning of going to some isolated spot where no foreigner has gone before.
nope i am never shocked when i go home...it's my country and i accept all that goes with it, foreigners and all. the 6 yrs here have set me in good stead of what the worst could be
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:04 am
Account Closed

Ah ha! Exactly why some here cling to their heritage - even if it may seem distant.
lol with the one exception they have not even been to the countries, it's all in their history books or the like
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:04 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
bloody red faced mick's.
Did you know how to confuse an Irishman?

Show him a line of shovels and tell him to take his pick....
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Did you know how to confuse an Irishman?

Show him a line of shovels and tell him to take his pick....

Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:05 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

it really hasn't ever bothered me one way or the other until this was brought up on expats but thinking about it the americans need to move on...if they were born here then they are american. on meeting someone i don't want to know all about their heritage for goodness sake....they were born american and that's it, end of story for me.
Amen !
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Every male member of my family and some female members has served in the British Military, you're not unique.
I was commenting on the fact that it seems to bother you when Americans express their ethnic identity. I don't see it being any different in the UK.
The Irish-Americans see themselves as American first. I'm not so sure many of the newcomers see themselves as Brits first, even second generation.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:14 am
Account Closed

I was commenting on the fact that it seems to bother you when Americans express their ethnic identity. I don't see it being any different in the UK.
i have already said in a previous post that it doesn't bother me about the american's ethnic identity ...however i have stated my views as the subject was mentioned on here.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

lol with the one exception they have not even been to the countries, it's all in their history books or the like
I was just teasing you TruBrit.

Your point is true - funny slightly off topic story for you. My grandfather's side of the family was Swedish - but the family has been here since the 1800's - so there's not much of a tie obviously. (And I don't call myself a Swedish-American ) My grandfather did speak Swedish however, he'd learned it growing up as a boy from his community and family. He was privileged enough to meet some Swedish royalty when they came to San Francisco a few decades ago (he was part of some welcoming committee or similar - obviously I'm sketchy on the details). He spoke to the Swedes in Swedish, and later asked how well he spoke.

Well, they told him, it's how we spoke about 100 years ago.

I always thought that was a great story.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Your point is true - funny slightly off topic story for you. My grandfather's side of the family was Swedish - but the family has been here since the 1800's - so there's not much of a tie obviously. (And I don't call myself a Swedish-American ) My grandfather did speak Swedish however, he'd learned it growing up as a boy from his community and family. He was privileged enough to meet some Swedish royalty when they came to San Francisco a few decades ago (he was part of some welcoming committee or similar - obviously I'm sketchy on the details). He spoke to the Swedes in Swedish, and later asked how well he spoke.

that is a lovely story and tks for sharing. it's great esp since the advent of computers and the likes of genes reunited to trace back one's family.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:48 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

That is also fairly common with the French in Quebec vs French in France. The French in France consider the language in Quebec to be archaic. I suppose the same would be true of any country that the people left to settle elsewhere.

In the US, Tangier Island, not so far from Britvic, has a native population that still speak in Elizabethan accents.

Our ancestors,” said James Russell Lowell, “unhappily could bring over no English better than Shakespeare’s.” Shakespeare died in 1616; the Pilgrims landed four years later; Jamestown was founded in 1607.

No doubt the Spanish spoken in Mexico and the Spanish spoken in Puerto Rico have evolved differences as well.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:02 pm
Ivegotta Member

Originally Posted by cindyabs
That is also fairly common with the French in Quebec vs French in France. The French in France consider the language in Quebec to be archaic. I suppose the same would be true of any country that the people left to settle elsewhere.

In the US, Tangier Island, not so far from Britvic, has a native population that still speak in Elizabethan accents.

Dost thou speak the truth? Oh verily I hope so!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:17 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Dost thou speak the truth? Oh verily I hope so!
Thank God we won't need a translator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.