Wikiposts

What are the British Like

Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the British Like

Originally Posted by britvic
Irish/English, but I prefer not to shout about it
In my early childhood I alway thought I was Punjabi Sikh.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:28 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

bloody red faced mick's.
i think they are some of the kindest people and i love their accent. i was on the dog'n bone to vodaphone this morning and the guy was irish and i kept him talking for ages coz i loved listening to his irish lilt
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
So why does it bother you? Most people born in the US are descended from foreign born immigrants. When someone says I'm Irish they are referring to their ancestry they're are not claiming Irish nationality.
A lot of immigrants suppressed their identity due to discrimination in the past, changing their names to fit in.
Thank you Surly - you've hit it dead on. I wonder - would everyone on here who had children born in the US, want them to claim no connection at all with the UK? Do you not see how traditions or pride of one's heritage sticks around? I don't understand the insistence that one's past is completely irrelevant.

So what if someone says they are Irish-American? That means they have a fondness for that country, their history links to that country, and it serves as a part of their identity. Is it really preferable to wipe out all signs of one's heritage?

Diversity is one of the things that makes American interesting - it doesn't make sense to claim that everyone's experience is or should be the same.

Sorry for the rant - but I really don't get the attitude regarding this and find it quite sad.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Sorry for the rant - but I really don't get the attitude regarding this and find it quite sad.
it really hasn't ever bothered me one way or the other until this was brought up on expats but thinking about it the americans need to move on...if they were born here then they are american. on meeting someone i don't want to know all about their heritage for goodness sake....they were born american and that's it, end of story for me.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i think they are some of the kindest people and i love their accent. i was on the dog'n bone to vodaphone this morning and the guy was irish and i kept him talking for ages coz i loved listening to his irish lilt
They are good sort's mostly and I was alway's happy to do relief work in an Irish Pub
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

it really hasn't ever bothered me one way or the other until this was brought up on expats but thinking about it the americans need to move on...if they were born here then they are american. on meeting someone i don't want to know all about their heritage for goodness sake....they were born american and that's it, end of story for me.
Sounds like you'll be in for a shock when you go back to the UK.
Unless you're planning of going to some isolated spot where no foreigner has gone before.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:41 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Irish/English, but I prefer not to shout about it
same as my DH, likely his Mum's side came over from Ireland due to the Famine.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Sounds like you'll be in for a shock when you go back to the UK.
Unless you're planning of going to some isolated spot where no foreigner has gone before.
She does have a house over there and goes home more than a few time's a year.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:47 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

So what if someone says they are Irish-American?
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27838

Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

chalk it up to a cultural difference
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

She does have a house over there and goes home more than a few time's a year.
There are a lot of different people of different ethnic background in the UK, not many I think would hang the title True Brit.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by elfman
So is now the time that I bring up that I'm 3/8 Swedish?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by elfman
I think I met him in the "Edinburgh Castle" here in San Francisco.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:54 am
Account Closed

chalk it up to a cultural difference
oh yes i do.

tks for the karma btw for my post about tipping
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

oh yes i do.

tks for the karma btw for my post about tipping
Wow - if you get wedding and shower invites - you must be fabulous tippers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.