Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What brings you back after working so hard to leave?

What brings you back after working so hard to leave?

Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What brings you back after working so hard to leave?

Originally Posted by TruBrit
on cue vic, well done
Not long come in, feed the Boy's, now it's my time
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm sure for every one unhappy expat living abroad there must be ten happy, but when I flick through this "Moving back to the UK" forum now and again, perhaps it's just me but I always seem to read about people who have spent years preparing to emigrate and when they finally make it to Oz or Canada they then get homesick and come back after a few years.

Don't take this the wrong way, everyone has their own reasons why they want to leave their country of birth, for me it's the wide open spaces in Canada compared to where I am in Middlesex. My family and I are planning to move to Canada this summer and to be perfectly honest I can only see myself coming back to the UK for weddings & funerals. Why would I want to come back to a country that I have spent all my life in.
Family & friends would be much happier visiting me in Canada because they would get a cheap holiday

I am not talking about people coming back for financial reasons, that is a different kettle of fish and one that I do not want to comment on. My point is when people miss the "UK" and feel the need to come home for no apparent reason other than the fact that they now miss the country they spent so hard trying to leave..
I never ran away from England - I loved the place and still do. I just wanted to experience life in another country and I've spent nearly 3 years here so I feel I have got out of it what I needed.

I think if you say you are emigrating you are possibly setting yourself up to fail. Just my thoughts!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Or even likely Oh look what the cat... - hello Vic!

Shall we each do 6 squares - should be enough for a small quilt.

As long as I can crochet - don't feel like knitting today!
I cant crochet and be on the computer at the same time
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The O/P's post is the umpteenth I've read today...people living in the UK with rosy coloured glasses on about living overseas. If only we had a crystal ball eh?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The O/P's post is the umpteenth I've read today...people living in the UK with rosy coloured glasses on about living overseas. If only we had a crystal ball eh?
it's good they move away then they will appreciate what is good about the UK.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm finding that I have less and less patience with these kinds of posts. (My claim in the Starsigns thread notwithstanding...)
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is so true.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When I get back I might be like them American's who want to do all that tourist stuff, so much to see on our little Island
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:00 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I did once live in Canada and would not have returned it it weren't for being broke in Canada and having a pregnant Wife.

When I was in my late teens I backpacked for 18months and spent some time in Canada, Vancouver to be exact and loved the place.
When my 'holiday' had finished and I was back in the UK I had a yearning to be back in Vancouver, so against my Mum & Dad's wishes (I was only 20) I decided to move to Vancouver and spend the rest of my life there.
1 year on I was working in a Deli bar earning $8hr and could see no hope of getting a better job as I didn't have a skill.
I then met my future Wife and the same week we found out she was pregnant (not planned) our landlord gave us notice.
My whole life was turned upside down and I was forced to come home to the UK with my Wife a few months later as we could not survive financially.

Looking back on it now it was the best thing that could have happened to us, back in 1995 house prices were dirt cheap compared to what they are now and IT jobs were booming. God knows how but I bluffed my way into a computer job and bought my first house in West London for £52k

11yrs on I now have a skill, two gorgeous kids, nice house and want to try the move again. At least this time I will have some money behind me and not a back pack.

Sorry for the life story...my point was that I did not miss being away from the country but in the end needed to come home for no other reason than being broke
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

I'm sure for every one unhappy expat living ........................ miss the "UK" and feel the need to come home for no apparent reason other than the fact that they now miss the country they spent so hard trying to leave..
For those who have been here a while, their decision to return may also be due to "opportunities missed" back home. Its all well and good having acreage in Montana or a pool in Florida or a beamer in Cali, but after a while these are only things and may start to lose their shine compared to the simple things which are often free; true friendship, simply belonging.....
There is also the issue of cultural divide which cannot be overstated. You may assimilate unreservedly yet at the end of the day realise you are yet still a bird of a different feather.......so do you stay with all the trappings which defines a successful immigrant because you fear to lose it or trade it for something you have come to realise is more valuable after all?

I have met those who have no wish to ever go back and have assimilated fully. They are the fortunate ones IMO.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
...I have met those who have no wish to ever go back and have assimilated fully. They are the fortunate ones IMO.
I'm not sure about that. I feel that what I had back home - and hope to have again one day - is more precious to me than what I could ever have here. That's just the way it is for me - I cannot help it.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah but its interesting how you didnt think you could be broke in Canada but you did think you could be broke in the UK. I think it wasnt about money really it was because when life gets tough you crave stability and normality and thats why you came back. Obviously I could be wrong...doesnt normally happen but its a theory.

I never left the UK because I was escaping. Far from it infact I had already travelled the world and knew where the best place for me was. I left because my husband got a great offer which I couldnt allow him to pass up. Being away only confirmed what I already knew. Thankfully I'm back.

I wish you luck but I would say never say never. No one can possibly predict the future as everyone on this board can attest.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Don't underestimate the pull of family/good friends and your home culture.

The first time you didn't have kids. Wait until you're into your 5th year or so without them having their cousins/aunts/grandparents, etc..around, and you'll see how your views will change.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gardnma
I have met those who have no wish to ever go back and have assimilated fully. They are the fortunate ones IMO.
don't quite agree with that comment...why are they the fortunate ones
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:25 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure for every one unhappy expat living abroad there must be ten happy, but when I flick through this "Moving back to the UK" forum now and again, perhaps it's just me but I always seem to read about people who have spent years preparing to emigrate and when they finally make it to Oz or Canada they then get homesick and come back after a few years.

Don't take this the wrong way, everyone has their own reasons why they want to leave their country of birth, for me it's the wide open spaces in Canada compared to where I am in Middlesex. My family and I are planning to move to Canada this summer and to be perfectly honest I can only see myself coming back to the UK for weddings & funerals. Why would I want to come back to a country that I have spent all my life in.
Family & friends would be much happier visiting me in Canada because they would get a cheap holiday

I am not talking about people coming back for financial reasons, that is a different kettle of fish and one that I do not want to comment on. My point is when people miss the "UK" and feel the need to come home for no apparent reason other than the fact that they now miss the country they spent so hard trying to leave..
Because you don't realise what you've got until you haven't got it any more!

Anyway, what's this about "working so hard" to leave? We filled out a couple of forms, paid a bit of money - it wasn't what I would call hard work.

None of our friends have visited us - it's too expensive - and you can't expect friends to keep coming out here all the time - would you go to the same place on holiday all the time? I wouldn't. And that's another reason not to stay - because you can't even give your kids the variety and experience of visiting different countries with different cultures and languages etc.

Horses for courses and all that - but give it a go and don't burnt your bridges!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.