What About The Super?

Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice
Default What About The Super?

We are hoping to return to the UK in Aug this year. However, we have built up approx $18K in super schemes between us. Can we take this now/transfe to a UK scheme as we are not going to be resident in Aus or does it have to stay put until we are retirement age? Has anyone moved their super back to the UK?

I know it's not much in the scheme of things but I would hate for it to get swallowed up in maintenance fees over here when I could roll it into my next employers scheme over there.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What About The Super?

Originally Posted by Amanda&Paul
We are hoping to return to the UK in Aug this year. However, we have built up approx $18K in super schemes between us. Can we take this now/transfe to a UK scheme as we are not going to be resident in Aus or does it have to stay put until we are retirement age? Has anyone moved their super back to the UK?

I know it's not much in the scheme of things but I would hate for it to get swallowed up in maintenance fees over here when I could roll it into my next employers scheme over there.
If you are leaving Oz permanently you should be able to take it out. Atleast that's what we did 13 years ago - so unless the law has changed......

HTH
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What's your visa/citizenship status in Australia?

Jeremy
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:21 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

We have left ours in Oz.....!!!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
What's your visa/citizenship status in Australia?

Jeremy
We are permanent residents but intend to go for citizenship before we go as we do harbour some dreams in the future of returning. We have a house here that we intend on keeping.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We are permanent residents but intend to go for citizenship before we go as we do harbour some dreams in the future of returning. We have a house here that we intend on keeping.

If you have permanent visas then as far as I know you can't "cash in" your superannuation the way many temporary residents can.

Jeremy
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=JAJ]If you have permanent visas then as far as I know you can't "cash in" your superannuation the way many temporary residents can.

We were (and still are) Australian citizens at the time we got our money out of super but as I say they could have changed the rules.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:18 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I recently wrote to the people who provided my super..this is what they wrote....

'As an Australian resident, you are not entitled to have your superannuation
benefit paid out to you until our normal retirement age (currently 55 and
no longer working), regardless of whether you are no longer residing in
Australia. Superannuation laws only allow overseas departure payments to
be made to temporary Australian residents who have held an eligible
temporary Australian Resident Visa covered under the Superannuation
Industry Supervisions Act. The reason for this is because you still have
the option to return to Australia at any time and accrue further
superannuation'.

My hubby can claim his back if he sends a copy of his visa (5 year PR visa), he didnt get citizenship.

I can have mine sent to me though in the form of a cheque because I have less than $200 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:00 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by janeyray
I recently wrote to the people who provided my super..this is what they wrote....

'As an Australian resident, you are not entitled to have your superannuation
benefit paid out to you until our normal retirement age (currently 55 and
no longer working), regardless of whether you are no longer residing in
Australia. Superannuation laws only allow overseas departure payments to
be made to temporary Australian residents who have held an eligible
temporary Australian Resident Visa covered under the Superannuation
Industry Supervisions Act. The reason for this is because you still have
the option to return to Australia at any time and accrue further
superannuation'.

My hubby can claim his back if he sends a copy of his visa (5 year PR visa), he didnt get citizenship.
It does say *temporary* residents, not permanent. If you search on http://www.ato.gov.au you should find a list of eligible temporary visas, and I think you will find that permanent visas don't count.

Jeremy
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys - I will just have to keep my eyes on the fees and charges. My friends here have said that they can build up if you stop paying into your super scheme. It's not much I guess.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:48 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Thanks guys - I will just have to keep my eyes on the fees and charges. My friends here have said that they can build up if you stop paying into your super scheme. It's not much I guess.
We were on 457 temporary visas and cashed ours in when we left permanently. The taxman takes a large slice though, forget the exact percentage but something like 40%.