We've bought a house!

Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've bought a house!

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
Hi Jackie

When are you planning to fly home....is yours booked for 9th October.
New football season nearly upon us.....just booking tickets for the friendly against real on the 9th August, £15 a ticket, bloody worth every penny even when you add the £40 I will need top pay for my ferry ticket from the Isle of Man. Take Care.
Hi IOM,

Well things here have gone from bad to worse to really worse!!! our home is now off the market (our agent has retired now and is closing the company) I have just had a few quotes from other agents and will put the home on the market by next week, our house value has dropped even more and will be lucky at this rate to return home with what we came out with....my husband was partially offered a position with his company based in Perth (really low salary) so he could stay on and sell the house BUT (as always with us) the position is now not until next March !!!, we are having sleepless night wondering what to do as we want our boys to start in Sept at College and High School and I would stay at my dads....it's all "up in the air" at the moment we might just have to send our older son over and then we follow asap when the house sells....BUT (yes another one) that would mean our youngest son would miss the start of his GCSE's in what I would call the old 4th year.....it's a mess and we will have to think of something asap renting our home here is out of the question so any ideas would be most welcome...because boy oh boy do I need a nights sleep. VERY quiet on the City transfer market but we have faith in Mark Hughes....our nephews have already bought their season tickets with our sons wishing it was them doing the buying.....
Hows the new home?...have you all settled in well? 40 pound for a ticket from the IOM thats a good price it's really expensive just to go to Rottesnest here and thats not so far away.....I was looking at airfares for August....maybe around the 18th or just a bit later Tracey way flying out on the 9th Ocotober....
Take care and hope the game is worth the visit and money!!!!!!!! you never know with City........mind you I would spend my last penny on a ticket.....yes that is sad........
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi IOM,

Well things here have gone from bad to worse to really worse!!! our home is now off the market (our agent has retired now and is closing the company) I have just had a few quotes from other agents and will put the home on the market by next week, our house value has dropped even more and will be lucky at this rate to return home with what we came out with....my husband was partially offered a position with his company based in Perth (really low salary) so he could stay on and sell the house BUT (as always with us) the position is now not until next March !!!, we are having sleepless night wondering what to do as we want our boys to start in Sept at College and High School and I would stay at my dads....it's all "up in the air" at the moment we might just have to send our older son over and then we follow asap when the house sells....BUT (yes another one) that would mean our youngest son would miss the start of his GCSE's in what I would call the old 4th year.....it's a mess and we will have to think of something asap renting our home here is out of the question so any ideas would be most welcome...because boy oh boy do I need a nights sleep. VERY quiet on the ........
Crikey Brits, I hope something picks up for you soon. You seem to be having a rough ride of it and no wonder you're going out of your head with worry.

For all of you still trying to sell, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this coming weekend will be THE one for you
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

Hi IOM,

Well things here have gone from bad to worse to really worse!!! our home is now off the market (our agent has retired now and is closing the company) I have just had a few quotes from other agents and will put the home on the market by next week, our house value has dropped even more and will be lucky at this rate to return home with what we came out with....my husband was partially offered a position with his company based in Perth (really low salary) so he could stay on and sell the house BUT (as always with us) the position is now not until next March !!!, we are having sleepless night wondering what to do as we want our boys to start in Sept at College and High School and I would stay at my dads....it's all "up in the air" at the moment we might just have to send our older son over and then we follow asap when the house sells....BUT (yes another one) that would mean our youngest son would miss the start of his GCSE's in what I would call the old 4th year.....it's a mess and we will have to think of something asap renting our home here is out of the question so any ideas would be most welcome...because boy oh boy do I need a nights sleep. VERY quiet on the City transfer market but we have faith in Mark Hughes....our nephews have already bought their season tickets with our sons wishing it was them doing the buying.....
Hows the new home?...have you all settled in well? 40 pound for a ticket from the IOM thats a good price it's really expensive just to go to Rottesnest here and thats not so far away.....I was looking at airfares for August....maybe around the 18th or just a bit later Tracey way flying out on the 9th Ocotober....
Take care and hope the game is worth the visit and money!!!!!!!! you never know with City........mind you I would spend my last penny on a ticket.....yes that is sad........

Hi Jackie

You seem to be having a realy bad time with your move back, I would not like to be in your position. I did'nt realise the property market was that bad in Perth. My Sister has just been in Europe and UK for a five week holiday, I met her and her hubby for a week and had a ball seeing sights etc. She rang me up yesterday on Skype and was quite down about being back to mundane way of life, she has lived there over 30 years. They are already starting to plan there next trip. To make matters worse her Aussie born Son has lived in London for the past seven years and has no current intention of returning tp Perth, he told me that after UK, Europe and London he would find Perth to boring. If he returns would probably move to Sydney or Melbourne. My sister however is doubtfull that he would move back to aussie. She has two lots of expat close friends who have been in Perth many years who have sons in UK. One of her friends are considering buying a property in UK because he is not returning, they intend to spend 6 months in Perth and six months UK.

I bet there are that many expats who have lost there kids back to UK. I am a prime example, I moved back 20 years ago, and have no regrets.

I don't know what to to suggest re your house sale, but have you considered an Auction. I know they are popular in Aussie and it might be a way of moving back before the kids start school.

Lifes a bitch sometimes isn't it, if we all had hindsight we just wouldn't make the move overseas in the first place. My mum has always regreted taking us there in the early 70's, and now her family are split up 12,000 miles apart.

Just keep smiling if you can and remember the dream to get home.

Mike (from the Isle of Man)
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Crikey Brits, I hope something picks up for you soon. You seem to be having a rough ride of it and no wonder you're going out of your head with worry.

For all of you still trying to sell, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this coming weekend will be THE one for you
Thanks Tracey, we are putting our home back on the market with a new agent for next week, we have asked our youngest son if he is okay about maybe missing the start of the school year in the U.K and he is fine about it..just as he finally gets home he is not to worried (he is a really chilled out kind of person) my Brother and SIL have said they would love to have both of our sons (they live in an avenue opposite my Dad) they have a large home and our boys love their Aunty and Uncle...the only problem with that (yes another one) is our younger son's "High School" is in Marple (which is the area where we want to live) which is a good distance to go from my SIL & Brother so we would be "stuck" in getting him to the High School...my SIL & Brother have twins aged 7 and my SIL is often out of the U.K for a few weeks at a time so a lot of Child Care is done by my Brother and his MIL....they said they would would work something out....so that is another option to think of....I actually got about 6 hours sleep last night which is wonderful......
Thanks Tracey for your Best Wishes.....
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
Hi Jackie

You seem to be having a realy bad time with your move back, I would not like to be in your position. I did'nt realise the property market was that bad in Perth. My Sister has just been in Europe and UK for a five week holiday, I met her and her hubby for a week and had a ball seeing sights etc. She rang me up yesterday on Skype and was quite down about being back to mundane way of life, she has lived there over 30 years. They are already starting to plan there next trip. To make matters worse her Aussie born Son has lived in London for the past seven years and has no current intention of returning tp Perth, he told me that after UK, Europe and London he would find Perth to boring. If he returns would probably move to Sydney or Melbourne. My sister however is doubtfull that he would move back to aussie. She has two lots of expat close friends who have been in Perth many years who have sons in UK. One of her friends are considering buying a property in UK because he is not returning, they intend to spend 6 months in Perth and six months UK.

I bet there are that many expats who have lost there kids back to UK. I am a prime example, I moved back 20 years ago, and have no regrets.

I don't know what to to suggest re your house sale, but have you considered an Auction. I know they are popular in Aussie and it might be a way of moving back before the kids start school.

Lifes a bitch sometimes isn't it, if we all had hindsight we just wouldn't make the move overseas in the first place. My mum has always regreted taking us there in the early 70's, and now her family are split up 12,000 miles apart.

Just keep smiling if you can and remember the dream to get home.

Mike (from the Isle of Man)
Hi Mike,

I also know of lots of "split" families more so nowadays than when we first arrived....it has worked both ways, families moving back and children staying here but on the whole it's the children who have returned to Europe...one "Friend" has a son (her only child) with a young family in the U.K and her son was born in the U.K and then came out to Aus...he left at 17 and has never been back, he says "never,ever"...my "Friend" has wanted to move back to England for as long as I have known her (8 years) but her husband just will not think about it!!!.....she says she nearly has a breakdown at the Airport when she leaves the U.K and is really down for weeks when she is in Perth....horrible....although we have had some good times in Aus I am starting to wish we never heard of the Place...our life was really great in the U.K we just did not really realise how great!!!!!!!! (grass greener etc etc) we will be home asap one way or another!!!!
Hope you enjoy the City game....one day....that will be me buying my ticket sitting next to my family and watching a fantastic game of football with City winning....well I can dream!!!
Thanks Mike all the best to you and your family....hope the ferry crossing is not to rough!!!...it always was for us when we visited the IOM..no matter what time of year...luckily I must have "Sea legs"...(not literally)as I never get sea sick....
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike,

I also know of lots of "split" families more so nowadays than when we first arrived....it has worked both ways, families moving back and children staying here but on the whole it's the children who have returned to Europe...one "Friend" has a son (her only child) with a young family in the U.K and her son was born in the U.K and then came out to Aus...he left at 17 and has never been back, he says "never,ever"...my "Friend" has wanted to move back to England for as long as I have known her (8 years) but her husband just will not think about it!!!.....she says she nearly has a breakdown at the Airport when she leaves the U.K and is really down for weeks when she is in Perth....horrible....although we have had some good times in Aus I am starting to wish we never heard of the Place...our life was really great in the U.K we just did not really realise how great!!!!!!!! (grass greener etc etc) we will be home asap one way or another!!!!
Hope you enjoy the City game....one day....that will be me buying my ticket sitting next to my family and watching a fantastic game of football with City winning....well I can dream!!!
Thanks Mike all the best to you and your family....hope the ferry crossing is not to rough!!!...it always was for us when we visited the IOM..no matter what time of year...luckily I must have "Sea legs"...(not literally)as I never get sea sick....
Hi Brits, I've recently resurfaced on here after trying to stay away for a few weeks to "get on with my life"......sorry to hear your house sale isn't going to plan. I hope some luck comes your way really soon so that you can get back.
Take care,
Rubes x
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Hi Brits, I've recently resurfaced on here after trying to stay away for a few weeks to "get on with my life"......sorry to hear your house sale isn't going to plan. I hope some luck comes your way really soon so that you can get back.
Take care,
Rubes x
Hi Rubes....lovely to hear from you..I know what you mean...I try and stay away (honestly) I fully intend to do that when we are home....so did you "sort your life out" ? and if so please tell me the secret how to!!!!!! hope everything is well with you? have a good weekend..
Take care
Jackie