We're home!!!

Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:41 am
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We're home!!!

Originally Posted by dewdrop
I'm so glad to hear you are back again.

we are here as well...I was born in UK, grew up in Canada, so not sure which is home right now.

Keep the posts coming..glad you have a little help, haven't read all the posts..where are you located...we are in Devon.
Hi Dewdrop
How are you finding Devon?We are hoping to move to Devon or Cornwall next year from New Zealand after 7years.We have never lived there we are originally from Newcastle.I have heard that Devon and Cornwall is a good place to bring kids up is this true?Exeter looks nice and Truro also, could you recommend any good areas?
Thanks Faye
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Just a very quick update from us before bed.

We got the kids into the same school and they started this week and loving it. Seen improvements with dd already hope it continues.

Rental market tough and although we have income we won't be able to get mortgage because it's a different type of income that isn't deemed as secure. We are destined to rent long term me thinks. Not always a bad thing and given we seem to take hits in buying and selling it a simple decision.

Still loads to sort out but getting there day by day. Nap by nap (doing things is only possible when the rug rat sleeps). So much easier now the two bigger ones are at school though.

Still happy to be here. Weather been fairly kind thus far. Will see my best friends this weekend and I'm having my first kiddy free day and night on Friday Cant wait to shop

Love the feeling of my kids growing up here and being English. Sounds sad but ITs me.

Very tired so catch you'll later. Best of luck everyone x
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:13 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK

We got the kids into the same school and they started this week and loving it. Seen improvements with dd already hope it continues.

Rental market tough and although we have income we won't be able to get mortgage because it's a different type of income that isn't deemed as secure. We are destined to rent long term me thinks. Not always a bad thing and given we seem to take hits in buying and selling it a simple decision.

Still loads to sort out but getting there day by day. Nap by nap (doing things is only possible when the rug rat sleeps). So much easier now the two bigger ones are at school though.

Still happy to be here. Weather been fairly kind thus far. Will see my best friends this weekend and I'm having my first kiddy free day and night on Friday Cant wait to shop

Love the feeling of my kids growing up here and being English. Sounds sad but ITs me.

Sounds great Poppet

I miss my kids 'being English' too. I miss them speaking properly and pronouncing the T in water, later etc...

I love these encouraging stories, it gives me hope and something to look forward to in 3 years time!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

I can't even begin to tell you how worried I was that our son wouldn't 'fit in', or that he would find it all too different. He's taken to life here like the proverbial duck to water, heck, he's even hooked on Coronation Street. Every day, I notice he's picked up more local slang and he has more friends at school here than he ever did in the US. So, it was definitely the right move for him.

We're trying to find a rental property too. Not easy when you don't have a job. We''re still glad to be back. I love the Autumn, the misty mornings and the changing leaves.

We'll get there one of these days.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

yarwoods4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Madam, reading your messages you sound like my wife and I. Our 'souls have been missing' since coming to the USA 14 years ago. The weather is scant compensation we feel. The lifestyle is good, but we miss the fabric of life, the full tapestry. We only have a few threads here. We dream of bonfire night, seeing the grandparents more often, go to normal schools for the kids. The prospect is quite daunting to make it happen. But reading some of the massages, it gives us hope and impetus. Thank you all.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fayemd
Hi Dewdrop
How are you finding Devon?We are hoping to move to Devon or Cornwall next year from New Zealand after 7years.We have never lived there we are originally from Newcastle.I have heard that Devon and Cornwall is a good place to bring kids up is this true?Exeter looks nice and Truro also, could you recommend any good areas?
Thanks Faye
Hello Faye

We Love Devon and have never lived here b4 either...originally from London but grew up in Canada... there is so much to see and do here, from the seaside to the countryside..train links to London.
There are some gorgeous areas in all parts, and some dodgey ones but that comes with everything. We lived in Canada for 30+yrs so we are still getting settled. Cornwall haven't been there yet. but alot of locals say its just Beautiful!!! but alittle isolated.

As far as the kids...my son unfortunately is very shy and is having a bit longer at settling in...our daughter seems to be enjoying year 8 but then still mentions how she misses her friends in Canada. It will just take time.

We are near Torquay...as its lovely with all in palm trees and mediterrean feel...

Good luck with your journey!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lorry1;8900913

I miss my kids 'being English' too. I miss them speaking properly and pronouncing the T in water, later etc...
[/QUOTE]

Like they sound their "t's" in England still? Estuary rules many of those "English kids", and in Estuaryspeak words like "water" "letter" later" "butter" are uh'erly and to'ally "t-less" in their speech even in areas away from the Estuaryspeak heartlands - ie the London area and the South East of England generally. Estuaryspeak has also spread to Sco'land, too.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Madam, reading your messages you sound like my wife and I. Our 'souls have been missing' since coming to the USA 14 years ago. The weather is scant compensation we feel. The lifestyle is good, but we miss the fabric of life, the full tapestry. We only have a few threads here. We dream of bonfire night, seeing the grandparents more often, go to normal schools for the kids. The prospect is quite daunting to make it happen. But reading some of the massages, it gives us hope and impetus. Thank you all.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum and what a hearfelt post ~ hope you eventually manage to get to where you want to be, all the very best to you
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your kind words.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

yarwoods thank goodness you and your wife are on the same page, so there for it may happen, good luck and what ever you do go for it as soon as you can.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

We are in the planning stages. I think it is important to have something planned to go for or you may regret the move and romaticise about the place you came from. Britain is brilliant, but it has it faults and is a tough place to live if you do not have things in place. So we are realistic and grounded about it, but determined to make it happen. We have missed it for too long and the feeling never goes away. Says it all really.