We're home!!!

Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Barbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really nice
Default Re: We're home!!!

Originally Posted by mbike
Hi Poppet,

Top few things to do (if you haven't already)

Register (re-register) at the doctor (important for little one)
Go to the council offices and put yourself on the electoral role.
Try reactivating any dormant bank accounts.
Get some stuff with your name and a UK address on it asap (mobile contract?)
Contact tax office about child benefit and ask them to send forms.

I'm sure there are more, but these were the things we needed to sort first couple of weeks.

Welcome back
This sort of list is really helpful!

Congrats to PoppetUK on a successful move
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Barbara B.

Sorry quick response as I chase the kids around my not so child friend mum's house!!!!

Thanks also for this list. As soon as I read it I got on the phone as I forgot about some of it..... opps.

Thank you all for the well wishes and the support.

Having a bit of a blip with schools. Unfortunately the last place for my second child went yesterday and that was our third choice school. Looks like it's going to take another week also to allocate schools. Didn't realize it would be so slow!!!! Kids are more than ready and I certainly need some space to get some things done now!!! Not keen to split them up but it looks likely at this stage. Bummer but we will deal with it.

Saw the weather forecast for Perth and it does look nice for the next week. I do have my little bottle that I've captured how i felt there so know that all the good weather wouldn't have helped. I truly was homesick and suffering!!!!

We both say how seductive we found it which was why we found it so hard to move back but both glad we did.

Spooks was good. I used to download all my tv in Australia but to me it didn't feel the same as sitting snuggled up on the sofa back here Can't change that.

I really didn't realize how home sick I was!!!!!

Thanks again everyone.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:42 am
Just Joined

debbydebs is just really nicedebbydebs is just really nicedebbydebs is just really nicedebbydebs is just really nicedebbydebs is just really nicedebbydebs is just really nicedebbydebs is just really nicedebbydebs is just really nice
Smile Re: We're home!!!

Originally Posted by Barbara B.

I agree thiis list has gone in my agenda for when I finally get to go home!!Thanks Mike Congrats Poppet and hope all goes well with the schools. Can I ask you if you applied for schools before you left??? As I will be running around trying to find schools when I leave for my 6year old daughter.
All the best and be happy
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

I contacted my daughters old school via email and they sent me a basic form to fill in which I scanned and emailed back. they were able to confirm for her start back in the same class with her old friends. we have only been away for 8 months though.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:32 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by charleygirl
JJ how are you, have you posted in the over 50s 60s, i was wondering how you are getting on.....
Hi, yes, have also posted update in 50's 60's, although it is relevant to anyone going back, not just wrinkly's, much of the postings there is suitable for everyone
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

bakugan has a brilliant futurebakugan has a brilliant futurebakugan has a brilliant futurebakugan has a brilliant futurebakugan has a brilliant futurebakugan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Well we are finally home. Staying at my mum's house until we can get sorted and come up with a plan.

In touch with School Admissions although that could be a bit of slow process. Hopefully the kids will be in school by the end of the week.

The initial feeling is that it is really nice to be home. It's a little daunting thinking about what our next steps are but at least we can do this with some support around us.

The ironic thing is that is feels like Australia was a 3.5 year holiday and almost never happened.

I love the TV. I know that sounds sad but for me it's nice. Spooks starts tonight so I'm sure I'll enjoy that. Nice to be watching it a the same time as friends and be able to have that (did you see Spooks conversation). Gosh I'm sad but it makes me happy!!!

See my middle child get into his Grandads garden and be happy to ask questions about it all and to enjoy tasting granddads produce was really sweet. I can see hubby taking him down to help grandad and share some moments.

All this and my mum hasn't even got back from holiday yet. That will hopefully be a breath of fresh air. Although things with our families can be bit annoying hopefully we'll enjoy living in the same country as them.

I really do hope this feeling contintues. I do know that I couldn't go back to Secret Harbour. For me my soul was missing there. The thought of having to go back would fill me with dread!!! I know there are plenty of happy people there but just not me and now I'm ok with that.

I'm sure many people write much more deep analytical posts after returning but this is me 5 days in.

Catch you soon and thanks for all the support in getting me back here....
We have been back in the UK for 6 months now and we are all loving it!
Spent 5 years in Melbourne - couldn't settle. Nice place but not for ever, it just wasn't for me.

Goodluck - it all sorts itself out eventuallly!!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all

Hi we've been back three months now and have really enjoyed getting back into the land of the living - but I still seem to have my down days - probably because not fully settled - furniture hasn't arrived, in short term rental - don't want to go back to Oz but do miss the sun - its very grey here at the moment and I can tangibly feel my spirits lift when the sun is out. How have other returners handled their ups and downs? What kind of things are great and not so great for you?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:41 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

We´ve been back a week and I feel so content and relaxed. Feels like my years away were a distant dream..a nice dream though.

Now I feel where I belong...home ahhhh.

Good luck with sorting schools out Poppet. I called up Herts LEA today and apparentely I have to go direct to them and not to the schools direct anymore.

But after speaking with them, I still called up my childrens previous primary school (amazingly they remembered me). I wanted to know if they had space for a Year 4 and a Year 2. They do for Year 4 but not yet for Year 2. She did say that spaces are often coming up. In fact, she said that one place was given to someone the other day but hasn´t confirmed they want it..so maybe that will be free for my little un.

Plus yesterday they had 4 new children and one parent told them this morning they are moving away. So I am hopeful for the younger ones for starting next week.

For those who are still abroad..Herts (and maybe other councils) have Application Forms called "IN year Admissions". You can complete this form even while abroad so that you can make your 3 preferences. You can give your address where you live abroad. I should of done this really so that I could of timed it better. Anyway, I had it from their website and completed it then faxed it..all done today. So hopefully I will know by the end of the week.

Last edited by manamama; Sep 28th 2010 at 10:12 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
www.thebox.bz download it.

I am in Australia and I haven't missed an episode. Just downloaded the first episode aired last night on BBC1. No need to miss decent TV these days.
Hello Northern Bird - I am in Thailand, waiting till Feb to go home; cannot join the box, Full up they say, so need an invite. - I am mostly in the over 50's - as I am 80, Please help!!! Don
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fific
Hi we've been back three months now and have really enjoyed getting back into the land of the living - but I still seem to have my down days - probably because not fully settled - furniture hasn't arrived, in short term rental - don't want to go back to Oz but do miss the sun - its very grey here at the moment and I can tangibly feel my spirits lift when the sun is out. How have other returners handled their ups and downs? What kind of things are great and not so great for you?
When you get your own furniture and a routine going again you will be fine....a few "things" are happening soon ie Halloween, Bonfire Night, then Christmas so things to look forward to......don't try to even think about Aus yet....it is way to soon to compare and if the weather bothers you....well you can either let it get you down or just get on with it....and still go out for days....go shopping, sight seeing, it certainly does not stop us....it would if we let it/wanted it to bother us.....I would not be human if I said having clear blue skys for days on end would be perfect...but well life....it's all swings and roundabouts.....good luck and it is still early days....just take each day as it comes....and see how you get on.....
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bithbheo
hope all is onward and upward from here on in ......We will be heading home ourselves in March next year if not before......daunting prospect after 23 years but know it is the right move...
You'll be fine....we were away from the U.K for over 12 years and in some ways we feel like we have never been away but in other ways it feels all new and different....(in a good way)......good luck...
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Sorry quick response as I chase the kids around my not so child friend mum's house!!!!

Thanks also for this list. As soon as I read it I got on the phone as I forgot about some of it..... opps.

Thank you all for the well wishes and the support.

Having a bit of a blip with schools. Unfortunately the last place for my second child went yesterday and that was our third choice school. Looks like it's going to take another week also to allocate schools. Didn't realize it would be so slow!!!! Kids are more than ready and I certainly need some space to get some things done now!!! Not keen to split them up but it looks likely at this stage. Bummer but we will deal with it.

Saw the weather forecast for Perth and it does look nice for the next week. I do have my little bottle that I've captured how i felt there so know that all the good weather wouldn't have helped. I truly was homesick and suffering!!!!

We both say how seductive we found it which was why we found it so hard to move back but both glad we did.

Spooks was good. I used to download all my tv in Australia but to me it didn't feel the same as sitting snuggled up on the sofa back here Can't change that.

I really didn't realize how home sick I was!!!!!

Thanks again everyone.
My OH is still in Aus (West Aus) and he was telling me this morning it was 38 where he was and that was am.....and it is starting to be the fly season...lol...boy oh boy is he so not liking it at the moment....I have not had any desire to check on weather etc in Perth....even my friend over there says you can have all the sun in the world etc,etc and it is still a boooorrrrriiiiinnnnngggg place to live (her words not mine..lol) it would be nice to have a long warm summer here but alas for us Northerners that is not always the case but well it does not stop us from enjoying ourselves...when you children are settled in school and you have your own place things will be a lot better for you...nothing like your own place and routine etc....our oldest has just started Uni...so all my sleepless nights etc worrying about him etc have been for nothing...he is enjoying himself so far very nicely.....good luck with the schools.....would you consider a slightly different area?...although we love the North we don't mind the South of England at all...but we settled in an area where it was easier for our sons to go to their College/Uni choices. Just think is a short while you'll be watching the school Nativity play and buying clothes for the School Christmas parties....happy times...(well they were for me..lol)good luck
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

I'm so glad to hear you are back again.

we are here as well...I was born in UK, grew up in Canada, so not sure which is home right now.

Keep the posts coming..glad you have a little help, haven't read all the posts..where are you located...we are in Devon.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:06 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fific
3 months back for us too, we also have up and downs, it's called being human. We allow the downs to happen and know that one day it will settle out, look at the good benefits that brought you back, remember / discuss the reasons you left where you were.
Best Wishes,
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

[QUOTE=PoppetUK;8860834]Well we are finally home. Staying at my mum's house until we can get sorted and come up with a plan.

In touch with School Admissions although that could be a bit of slow process. Hopefully the kids will be in school by the end of the week.

The initial feeling is that it is really nice to be home. It's a little daunting thinking about what our next steps are but at least we can do this with some support around us.

The ironic thing is that is feels like Australia was a 3.5 year holiday and almost never happened.

I love the TV. I know that sounds sad but for me it's nice. Spooks starts tonight so I'm sure I'll enjoy that. Nice to be watching it a the same time as friends and be able to have that (did you see Spooks conversation). Gosh I'm sad but it makes me happy!!!

See my middle child get into his Grandads garden and be happy to ask questions about it all and to enjoy tasting granddads produce was really sweet. I can see hubby taking him down to help grandad and share some moments.

All this and my mum hasn't even got back from holiday yet. That will hopefully be a breath of fresh air. Although things with our families can be bit annoying hopefully we'll enjoy living in the same country as them.

I really do hope this feeling contintues. I do know that I couldn't go back to Secret Harbour. For me my soul was missing there. The thought of having to go back would fill me with dread!!! I know there are plenty of happy people there but just not me and now I'm ok with that.

I'm sure many people write much more deep analytical posts after returning but this is me 5 days in.

Catch you soon and thanks for all the support in getting me back here....

welcome home! I lived in Perth for 15 years but came back 20 years ago. My sister lives in secret harbour, I was there last year for my neices wedding and eventhough it is a stunning development I could never live there....too boring and souless!! My Mum and brother live in Freo.....The only thing I miss about the place is my family but could never live in such a place again......I think I am just too British and would miss the culture and the great british sense of humour.....hope everything works out for you......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.