Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

we're doing it and I'm terrified!!

we're doing it and I'm terrified!!

Old Oct 26th 2006, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: we're doing it and I'm terrified!!

Originally Posted by JRB
Thanks for replies, I am still in a panic about it. We have all got citizenship so that's cool. We are looking to live in Woodbridge and fingers crossed husband will get job within commutable distance e.g Ipswich or something. If he does end up working in London (but we really hope not) then we'd have to look at moving nearer to there e.g Colchester, Chelmsford area. It's abit crazy going back in middle of winter but it really was a case of now or never so we gotta try.
I spoke to my mum last night to break the news and instead of being really happy about it all she was going on about was , you're giving up your nice house, husband giving up good job and kept on reminding me about how I hated the UK weather etc etc. So that made me feel great about it..........not!!!I then spoke to brother in law who had moved back to UK from Sydney after 10 years there and they have been back 2 years and they are loving it, they are really happy that we're coming back and also he was saying how the seasons are really great here and now we're abit older in life about how the things in life you like change. He said when in his 20's in Sydney life was about surfing, beach, sun etc but now heading to 40s and lots of the things in UK are more appealing now, even historic buildings!!!.
I am not entirely sure we are doing the right thing - that's why it's taken 2 years to get to this stage. Little kids are aged 3 and 1 so we want to try now as when they start school we want to be settled. Even last night I said to my husband, can you withdraw your work notice and keep your contract? He probably could but he said it wouldn't be the same there and we really have to go. Poor guy, I think it must drive him mad. I guess if we do go and end up coming back at least we will be settled next time and at least the kids would know their extended family and have those memories for life. Good luck to all of you doing the same thing. For those heading to suffolk we should keep in touch.
I completely understand where you're coming from here. My parents also tell me I'll rue the day I ever came back, but there is no way they can really understand. They don't have the same experiences we have.

I'm reaching the point where the issue of going back has become a daily preoccupation, and I think when it gets to that stage (as a wise person on here once pointed out to me) you have to go back, even if only to prove yourself wrong. I keep convincing myself that we have a great life here in Perth (and we do), but the feeling that this is not where I belong just will not go away, and it hits me every time with absolute certainty that I need to go back to England. I will then spend the next day or two talking myself out of it, as it's easier to give in to inertia than to go through a big upheaval. I ride this emotional roller coaster every couple of days now.

We may stay one more year as my kids have chance to go to a school here that will help them remain bilingual, but I think it is inevitable that we will go back within the next year or two. I just hope they don't put down roots that are too strong during that time. My oldest would be nine or ten by then, so I think that would be our last chance.

I would definitely listen to your brother-in-law on this one, not your mum!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be terrified..........you must know deep down that you are doing the right thing!!!
At least you have tried, gave it your best shot, returning will help decide if you have made the right choice!
I want to go back home too, but will give it more time here...it's not just family isssues.it's money matters and education...sunshine isn't eveything.
Good luck guys
Old Oct 26th 2006, 4:26 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRB
Thanks for replies, I am still in a panic about it. We have all got citizenship so that's cool. We are looking to live in Woodbridge <snip>
Woodbridge...! That's where we're from; you couldn't have picked a better place in Suffolk. Hope it all works out for you...
Old Oct 26th 2006, 5:25 am
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Wow- Woodbridge! My mum and dad, one sister and family in Felixstowe and my other sister and family in Benhall, nr Saxmundham. Felixstowe is ok to visit but I wouldn't want to live there, have never lived in Woodbridge but have loved it when I visit it and also it's ideally placed to be near family. We're hoping OH may get a job at BT Martlesham or in ipswich somewhere. Did you really enjoy living in Woodbridge? Do you think it will be good for kids? It just seems to be such a pretty little place but also has everything you need and also has character, history and individuality about it. We actually got married at Butley Priory near there! Are you enjoying Sydney? I love the Northern Beaches there and it does have more of a buzz than Perth.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 5:30 am
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Hi Sandra, hope to catch up with you next week. Thanks for email. I hope you work out what to do what's best for you and your family. I will definately miss Perth and do think it's a great place, just wish it was located where France was!! See you soon
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:32 am
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Exile
I completely understand where you're coming from here. My parents also tell me I'll rue the day I ever came back, but there is no way they can really understand. They don't have the same experiences we have.

I'm reaching the point where the issue of going back has become a daily preoccupation, and I think when it gets to that stage (as a wise person on here once pointed out to me) you have to go back, even if only to prove yourself wrong. I keep convincing myself that we have a great life here in Perth (and we do), but the feeling that this is not where I belong just will not go away, and it hits me every time with absolute certainty that I need to go back to England. I will then spend the next day or two talking myself out of it, as it's easier to give in to inertia than to go through a big upheaval. I ride this emotional roller coaster every couple of days now.

We may stay one more year as my kids have chance to go to a school here that will help them remain bilingual, but I think it is inevitable that we will go back within the next year or two. I just hope they don't put down roots that are too strong during that time. My oldest would be nine or ten by then, so I think that would be our last chance.

My mum is always telling me that "there is nothing in England anymore for you".

I have a simple solution to that. I haven't told her im coming home! Im sort of thinking how to put a good spin on it.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:20 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRB
Wow- Woodbridge! My mum and dad, one sister and family in Felixstowe... <snip>
Woodbridge is quite possibly the best place to live in Suffolk. We loved it and I've lived in that area (radius 15 miles) for 30 years... It is just country enough but also close enough to arterial roads and trains to do what you want... There's a train into Liverpool street for the commuters if you want... It's got a really good state school and similar private one. Really quaint centre with lots of boutique shops, etc. We actually lived up the old Felixstowe Road just about a mile from the BT research centre. Avoid the Melton end - not good down there. Felixstowe has never done anything much for me, but then I was in the shipping business which totally dominates that town... If you'd like any more info I'll PM you...! Hope the job at BT Martlesham comes off...
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:40 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Exile

im in agreement with what you say here exile ,especially the bit about parents.My old man for instance is always bagging the uk but you ask him would he leave and his answer is NO ,so i ask why and he says ''im just too british ''.
It seems to be a pre-occupaton in britain to bag the place and the locals love doing it ,it is ingrained into our sychy to do it and to dream of the green grass over the otherside ,when in reality they are standing on it .
Fair play to those that can settle overseas especially in australia which only seems to offer material goods to fill the void of who we are as brits .

Last edited by sassenach; Oct 26th 2006 at 8:46 am.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

"we're doing it and I'm terrified!!" said the Bishop to the Actress.

..............I'll get my coat.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Not worried about the NHS queues and incompetence/s ?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:44 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Do you think you should try another part of OZ before going back to the Uk, have you traveled around and seen the eastern states.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
Woodbridge is quite possibly the best place to live in Suffolk. We loved it and I've lived in that area (radius 15 miles) for 30 years... It is just country enough but also close enough to arterial roads and trains to do what you want... There's a train into Liverpool street for the commuters if you want... It's got a really good state school and similar private one. Really quaint centre with lots of boutique shops, etc. We actually lived up the old Felixstowe Road just about a mile from the BT research centre. Avoid the Melton end - not good down there. Felixstowe has never done anything much for me, but then I was in the shipping business which totally dominates that town... If you'd like any more info I'll PM you...! Hope the job at BT Martlesham comes off...
ah good old Woodbridge. I lived in Martlesham village before moving here & loved it. worked in Ipswich town center & could get there in about 15 minutes via back roads.
Worked at BT about 10 years ago too, fantastic place to work.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

dave66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

We've done it. Lived in Sydney for 5 years. Been back in the UK for 6 months now. Feel much better for being back. Much better craic in the offices here. Aussies have no sense of humor. I don't mind the weather either. In fact I feel as if I can breath easier here. Good to see my family and friends whenever I want.

My wife on the other wants to go back to Oz. I think she listens to too much radio/tv regarding muslims, NHS etc. She constantly bags the UK. Her parents are the same. They think she is mad to be back here.

It is causing a lot of headaches in our house. Shall we stay or shall we go now. I'm sick of the arguing. I Know if we go back we will have the same conversation back there. Too much choice me thinks.

Dave
Old Oct 26th 2006, 3:47 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Youre terrified?
Im so jealous you have no idea.....
Old Oct 26th 2006, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Amanda B is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: we're doing it and I'm terrified!!

Hiya, we came home from Florida after been there a year, i thought the same as you, that we had no social life, no one to watch kids now and then and no family around us.
Ive been home 2 month and im so depressed. Its cold, theres no work,the streets are filled with gangs of kids up to no good and its not safe for my kids to go out.
I love seeing my family again, and wish they had been there with me.
When your bored there you have the sunshine when your bored here its cold and wet and nothing to do.
I no i make it sound really bad, but thats my opinion of thigs and im now looking to make the move again once we get some more money behind us.
We,re hoping to try Oz this time if i can find my husband work as a plumber and get him a sponsor,watch this space eh?
I hope you make the right choice, i didnt,but ive got the travel bug now and cant stand the cold anymore.
Whatever you decide i wish you loads of luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.