Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Were back from month in UK

Were back from month in UK

Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Mark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really nice
Default Re: Were back from month in UK

Yep we've had Snow in the South here overnight, about inch or so...temps have dropped to freezing over the last few days so it aint that great here!! Dont lookovr the hum "short term memory"....UK aint that great !!!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark044
Yep we've had Snow in the South here overnight, about inch or so...temps have dropped to freezing over the last few days so it aint that great here!! Dont lookovr the hum "short term memory"....UK aint that great !!!!!!
Please make it last another three weeks, after 4 nights where its not dropped below 27 degrees and 70% humidity I yearn to feel cold.........get me on a plane quick!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Mark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really nice

Gladly swap!!!
Where abouts are you for those temps?? Perth?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

UK aint that great !!!!!!
The thing is, it doesn't have to be. And maybe that is the great thing about it
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:43 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Gladly swap!!!
Where abouts are you for those temps?? Perth?
Brisbane
Right now - 9.40 pm its 27 degrees and 85% humidity, with a nasty smell of burning in the air.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thanks for taking the time to type that.

Downsides, yes expensive !! where we were, Fulford, sister has a terrace about 20 metres from the river ouse, we could walk to town along the river, well we could till the water rose about 3 metres and they started sandbagging the city, quite incredible some of the apartments on the river appeared to have the bottom floor submerged under water. Can imagine the traffic in summer - tourists must be a nightmare. i would love the variety of weather, quite miss that here.

Good luck in OZ, I think with your sensible attitude, it will set you up well to succeed here.
Welcome back! Glad you had a nice time.

York is one of my favorite places in England. My grandmother lives there. Fulford in fact. Actually, she's just moved into an old folks' home (she's 96), and sold her little 3 bed house for about 150k, I think.

We were in York for a couple of days last April, and it's a fantastic place. Just how it was when I was a kid. One thing that really struck me was that even though it rained when we were there, it was still a beautiful, interesting, vibrant place to be. When it rains in Perth, there isn't much left.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:19 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Brisbane
Right now - 9.40 pm its 27 degrees and 85% humidity, with a nasty smell of burning in the air.
that humidity is the killer ,i can handle 40 -42 degrees easy if its a dry heat like here in perth .
I dont think most brits realise when its a relentless grind against the heat and the glaring sun for months and months its every bit as oppresive as the relentless dark winter nights in the uk ,and infact for me personally it is more so .
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:39 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by sassenach
that humidity is the killer ,i can handle 40 -42 degrees easy if its a dry heat like here in perth .
I dont think most brits realise when its a relentless grind against the heat and the glaring sun for months and months its every bit as oppresive as the relentless dark winter nights in the uk ,and infact for me personally it is more so .
Same here. The constant heat and the sun are very wearng - much easier to be cold trying to warm up, than to be hot, trying to cool down.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Useless fact of the day - did you know it's dark by 6pm more days per year in Melbourne than in London (145 v 138). Not sure about Perth tho. I can honestly say that I didn't find much difference between the two winters (OK, apart from the obvious that sunset is as much as an hour earlier in the English winter - but in terms of going to work in the dark, and coming home in the dark, it felt no different (weekends excepted)).
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Please make it last another three weeks, after 4 nights where its not dropped below 27 degrees and 70% humidity I yearn to feel cold.........get me on a plane quick!
My sentiments exactly.I realy wish this humidity would disapear. When you get down to skin that is it. I will take the snow thanks,coat, gloves, scarf, bliss.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

This is so true. I have to say it is realy getting me down.It certainly can be just as oppressive as dark winter nights in the UK.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Yorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really nice

I had to reply to this post as it's making me homesick! I'm from Scarborough and lived in York for a couple of years before coming to NZ. I LOVE York and despite living 10 minutes out of the city never found it too expensive. Traffic is an issue but only because they don't want to destroy the City by allowing it to invade the centre and they do their best to discourage cars wherever possible. There are excellent park and ride systems in place which means you don't need to put up with the traffic too.

I would move back to York tomorrow and can't recommend it highly enough. Instead though we are moving to Exeter in May which I am assured is also lovely.

All the best!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane

We couldnt sleep, horrible weather, oops sorry aus doesnt get horrible weather does it Plus the bloody neighbours all around were enjoying the outdoors lifestyle till well after midnight. One lot playing tennis, one lot burning fish on the bbq and kids screaming in the pool. Thats another thing people dont realise, even tho we are on 2 acres you are so bloody aware of the idiots next door or up the street, with windows open you might as well live with the wan#ers.

Sorry hot and bothered today
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

We couldnt sleep, horrible weather, oops sorry aus doesnt get horrible weather does it Plus the bloody neighbours all around were enjoying the outdoors lifestyle till well after midnight. One lot playing tennis, one lot burning fish on the bbq and kids screaming in the pool. Thats another thing people dont realise, even tho we are on 2 acres you are so bloody aware of the idiots next door or up the street, with windows open you might as well live with the wan#ers.

This is so tru and no one seems to consider their neighbours,it is almost like they don't exsist. I have an idiot over the back who likes to play ball with his poxy dog at 6 am and the dog barks it's self silly
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:34 pm
Home and Happy

Don't apologise, I know just how you feel....sleep, whats that!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 24th 2007 at 8:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.