Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Went back for two weeks, can't stop thinking about it

Went back for two weeks, can't stop thinking about it

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

mstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Went back for two weeks, can't stop thinking about it

I totally get it.
Been in the US for 17 years. Divorced over a decade, no kids.
I first went back for an extended trip in 2011, things shifted and i decided to stay in the US.
However, although i changed up my life, inside i still didnt feel right There are things i love about both places, but i constantly think of home, know that i cant retire in the US.
Last summer i lost my dad in the UK.
So, this year i finally made a decision, and let me tell you it is terrifying, but the shift internally has happened and i know i can't change my mind now. A window opened, and i am jumping through it. I am in the middle of downsizing (and giving up my apartment - a pivotal moment) right now, this month. I am fortunate that i can continue to work here, half the year, and will have affordable rent in both places. What happens next i dont know, it will be an adventure.
I seriosuly needed to change up my life and was caught in the rat race here. I have much better social connections in the UK, as well as family. I am under no illusions that i am going back to a better place, its just how i feel inside. I have been coming home every summer for years, and twice a year for the last few years. I have been through many versions of myself in 17 years, and many years ago would never have considered moving back. Things have shifted and my values have changed.
I will see what happens!
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mstiggiewinkle
I totally get it.
Been in the US for 17 years. Divorced over a decade, no kids.
I first went back for an extended trip in 2011, things shifted and i decided to stay in the US.
However, although i changed up my life, inside i still didnt feel right There are things i love about both places, but i constantly think of home, know that i cant retire in the US.
Last summer i lost my dad in the UK.
So, this year i finally made a decision, and let me tell you it is terrifying, but the shift internally has happened and i know i can't change my mind now. A window opened, and i am jumping through it. I am in the middle of downsizing (and giving up my apartment - a pivotal moment) right now, this month. I am fortunate that i can continue to work here, half the year, and will have affordable rent in both places. What happens next i dont know, it will be an adventure.
I seriosuly needed to change up my life and was caught in the rat race here. I have much better social connections in the UK, as well as family. I am under no illusions that i am going back to a better place, its just how i feel inside. I have been coming home every summer for years, and twice a year for the last few years. I have been through many versions of myself in 17 years, and many years ago would never have considered moving back. Things have shifted and my values have changed.
I will see what happens!
Good luck with the move.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
A blip - that has to be understatement of the year!
Haha yes, well unless it dies a death by its own lies and corruption, maybe not so much a blip then...
Old Apr 25th 2017, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

A blip - that has to be understatement of the year!
I was born in the early 50's in terraced housing a mile away away from the harbour which was bombed during WW2. Lots of gaps in the rows of houses caused by bombs that missed the harbour, plus our house still had the Anderson air raid shelter in the back garden.

Whenever I complained about anything, even as an adult, my parents would say that this is just a blip compared to the 5 years of all-out war they lived through.

I once read an article that compared the standard of living in England in the 100 years from 1901 to 2001 and despite 2 world wars, collapse of Empire, and crippling debt the standard of living for the average person was much higher. (Even in 1976 the debt was so bad that the £ collapsed in value and the UK had to have a $3.9B loan from the IMF).

What we are going through now is just a blip.

To the OP,

We lived in the USA for 29 years and when we retired we rented a house in England for a few months to get the desire to move back out of our system. It only reinforced our desire to move back, and leave our 2 children in Texas and California. We moved back last year and absolutely love it.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm glad to hear that people who have gone back are enjoying it. And that I'm not the only one who is itching for a permanent change of scenery.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 11:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Freshwhyte
Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm glad to hear that people who have gone back are enjoying it. And that I'm not the only one who is itching for a permanent change of scenery.
You're not the only one by a long chalk. In my mind it's not back . It is a new phase . Mind you I have yet to get there.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

mstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud of

We lived in the USA for 29 years and when we retired we rented a house in England for a few months to get the desire to move back out of our system. It only reinforced our desire to move back, and leave our 2 children in Texas and California. We moved back last year and absolutely love it.
THANKYOU!

Your story is inspiring

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 26th 2017 at 12:04 pm. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freshwhyte
Hi all, just got back from Glasgow was staying there for the last few weeks for the first time since I was 12 years old. The last time I recall I couldn't wait to get back to Canada, didn't care about seeing anything, doing anything. This time was completely different, its like I fell in love for the first time and every single day was up and ready to explore. The day I left was really emotional for me, I stood in the airport staring out the window and all I could think about was coming back, I figured the heavy emotions I was feeling would pass but it has only gotten worse.

I've pretty much become completely disconnected from Canadian culture, since getting back I watch Filmon.com (which streams live UK tv) I've only been eating foods that I brought back, or foods that replicate what I was eating here. Its literally all I can think about - almost to the point of obsession.

Am I the only one who has gotten like this after a trip back home ? Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist ? Lmao

I'm working towards a nice nest egg so that I can go back permanently, and have been doing so for the last while. But I'm feeling more and more like reaching that goal can't come soon enough, I really can't stand it here in Canada anymore.
its good that you still have a choice to go back or come back......

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 26th 2017 at 11:53 am.