Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Week trip to Blighty with a 4 month old....

Week trip to Blighty with a 4 month old....

Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Week trip to Blighty with a 4 month old....

Originally Posted by Voltore
Probably planning to add that to the car rental right now.
Usually car seats/strollers do not count as luggage buy yourself a cheapo from Walmart and take it with you! It will likely be less then the rental and will be a lot cleaner!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:34 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
bassinets! we flew to Canada when the twins where 7 months old, I booked them, and they claimed they where too old, 6 months or younger! I pointed out that medically they where 5 1/2 months as premies, and I had discussed this with the person on booking!
anyway their was a 5 month old on the flight as well, and they didn't have one either, despite family also booking one!
We where split up "for safety reasons!" never quite got to the bottom of that one? and with twins you can't even take it in turns to swap arms.
fortunately for us, but unfortunately for them, me and hubby got seated, on different rows, next to a Muslim family on their way to a funeral (he got the 18 year old girls, I got the sisters of the deceased) turned out there were about 30+ of them on their way to Vancouver on the flight.
The man who had died was in his 40's and also had twin boys aged 10, the family, bless them took the boys of our hands, when they where awake, up and down the plane, it was wonderful, when we arrived in Calgary, the family thanked us! as they said they thought it was going to be a terrible journey, but our boys had brightened it for them, and they felt it was a good omen that they where next to us.
the trip back a American woman, had a dispute with the stewards and next thing we know, we as a family are together, they move the SA couple next to me into business class, she came up later and explained she had 5 yr old twin girls, and saw we where in different rows, so told the stewards to move people!
practical note, def, fed them on take off and landing, the tables even without the lilo idea, works.
stick pins in your baby in the check in line, Joke! both of mine screamed their heads off, at check in and we got to the front of the line, even thought it didn't help our seat allocation! have a lovely time
Split up for safety reasons, BS, I don't doubt that they didn't have seats together, BUT any good travel agent can or should tell you what seats are available for preassignment and where...............
Old Sep 30th 2009, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lottie
* If using formula be prepared that the UK may not sell the brand you are using. Also, US allows you to take water through for bottles, UK does not.
Lottie
They will do if it's already in the bottle but they make you drink a bit and wait a minute to see if you drop down dead.
They also made me taste the vile purée thing I had with me for her on the flight.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

joepass is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with that
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:18 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Usually car seats/strollers do not count as luggage buy yourself a cheapo from Walmart and take it with you! It will likely be less then the rental and will be a lot cleaner!
Thanks for everyone for their suggestions. I've booked my trip (United) and grabbed seats by the bulkhead for the bassinet tables. Although I'm a United Frequent flyer, they were very helpful on the phone. BA was stand-offish and couldn't tell me if the bassinet seats were occupied, said I would have to book to get access to the seating map. Virgin were able to tell me, and sadly outbound they were already kiddy occupied.

I currently have reserved a car seat in the UK, but may pack a base in the luggage and use ours.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:13 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

be aware that they dont have the bassinets on every plane - so even if you get a bulkhead seat it doesnt guarantee you the bassinet. Ask as soon as you get on the plane - in case there are others people who want to use it and get it before you. Also check them for robustness/safety - the one we were given to use on United was on its last legs.